In this Discussion

Random Stuff

Comments

• QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Jul 19 2006, 05:49 PM)
    Argh! I'm mad- The Magic Numbers, Sonic Youth and The Flaming Lips are touring together, and I'd be very inclined to go see them, except they're coming to NYC/PA AFTER I head off to France.

tongue.gif

oooh the lips and sonic youth. i have the biggest crush on wayne coyne and i don't know why. i want to see them @ ACL festival but yah i have no one to go with and no $$$.

katy when you go to paris can you buy me one of those mini eiffel towers the ones that are paperweights? lol all asking for a present. you don't have to.
  • QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Jul 19 2006, 08:31 PM)
    Paris is an internationally city, I'm sure you'll fall in love with a lot of parisian bands and non-french bands that drift through. BTW, where is OK Go performing?

I'm totally ready to get in on the French indie/underground scene, buahahaha!

Also, OK Go is performing on a BOAT! I kid you not! It's a BOAT! In the SEINE RIVER! So cool! But I still haven't figured out how to buy tix yet... dry.gif

QUOTE (vinyl_days @ Jul 19 2006, 08:56 PM)
    katy when you go to paris can you buy me one of those mini eiffel towers the ones that are paperweights? lol all asking for a present. you don't have to.

Dude, of course I will! I'll get it for your birthday if you'll get something...um...quintissentially (sp?) Texan for mine...? Haha.

QUOTE (tonetoile @ Jul 19 2006, 08:47 PM)
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da is possibly the happiest song ever.

OMG yes it is! I was obsessed with that song for about a month. I think OK Go should cover it, really, even though Damian's been all like, "Meh, we don't cover those classic artists like the Beatles (even though I'm a total hypocrite and we've totally covered the Beatles before) so people don't get mad that we're not good enough and stuff." (Damian says it much more eloquently than I.) But think about it! It's a rather bass heavy song, so Tim will be doing a lot of the work, giving Damian the chance to drop the guitar and jump in the crowd, the horn parts and those funky percussiony things can be Andy on keyboard and tambourine, and that "la la la la la" bit in the second refrain would be wonderfully sung by Tim. Really. I think it could work.

Um. I think I've thought this out too much, haha.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Jul 19 2006, 08:05 PM)
    Dude, of course I will! I'll get it for your birthday if you'll get something...um...quintissentially (sp?) Texan for mine...? Haha.

nice... damn what's texas, i'll get you chili. lol i'm joking. i just have to find something well i have a good amount of time.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Jul 20 2006, 01:05 AM)
    OMG yes it is! I was obsessed with that song for about a month. I think OK Go should cover it, really, even though Damian's been all like, "Meh, we don't cover those classic artists like the Beatles (even though I'm a total hypocrite and we've totally covered the Beatles before) so people don't get mad that we're not good enough and stuff." (Damian says it much more eloquently than I.) But think about it! It's a rather bass heavy song, so Tim will be doing a lot of the work, giving Damian the chance to drop the guitar and jump in the crowd, the horn parts and those funky percussiony things can be Andy on keyboard and tambourine, and that "la la la la la" bit in the second refrain would be wonderfully sung by Tim. Really. I think it could work.

Um. I think I've thought this out too much, haha.

I don't know. Do you think Damian could pull off a slightly higher (and less huskyish) tone? The song needs to be really light. Sure, you could play it a little deeper and have it be more earthy (ok, "earthy" is the wrong adjective, but I'm tired so bear with me). However, I maintain the fact that it needs to be SO SO light. It's a dance and sunny song.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of an OK Go cover. I mean, I was SO impressed when they were able to do Violent Femmes' "Prove my Love" (because I am a rather large VF fan). They have a talent for making covers seem new and fresh. It could work. biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (vinyl_days @ Jul 19 2006, 08:12 PM)
    nice... damn what's texas, i'll get you chili. lol i'm joking. i just have to find something well i have a good amount of time.

You could get her a longhorn or something. Maybe an Alamo or armadillo. Texas has a lot of stuff.

QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Jul 19 2006, 08:05 PM)
    I'm totally ready to get in on the French indie/underground scene, buahahaha!

Also, OK Go is performing on a BOAT! I kid you not! It's a BOAT! In the SEINE RIVER! So cool! But I still haven't figured out how to buy tix yet... dry.gif

I've been on one of these boats on the Seine before, and they are big, but not REALLY big. Is there a possibility that it's sold out already?
  • QUOTE (vinyl_days @ Jul 19 2006, 09:12 PM)

I LOVE CHILI! wub.gif Just sayin'.

QUOTE (tonetoile @ Jul 19 2006, 09:12 PM)
    I don't know. Do you think Damian could pull off a slightly higher (and less huskyish) tone?

Well, they've done a Beatles cover before, but I don't know how Damian sounded when he did it, as I don't think there's a recording of it. tongue.gif

QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Jul 19 2006, 09:52 PM)
    Is there a possibility that it's sold out already?

No, 'cause they haven't even listed it on their website yet. And some other girl who actually lives in France said she couldn't figure out how to get tickets, either.
  • My guyfriend and I made a list of things we need to do together this summer before I leave for Canada. The list is currently as follows:
    1) Go to the city to see the NY Mercantile Exchange (one of the most entertaining places on Earth. Don't beleive me? GoogleImage it).
    2) Take a nap

I think it's a pretty kick-ass list.

Records:
    The best way to listen to anything on vinyl is sprawled out on the floor with a pile of records on a sunny afternoon.

Carrying around newly purchased records (or, better yet, old ones found in a thrift store) merits a feeling of pride and warmth that CDs just can't replicate.

Appreciate records.
  • I couldn't access the boards yesteday... I underwent extreme depression...

I might go to Niagra Falls this weekend...

I'm seeing MSTRKRFT on Friday... at Much Music... so its kinda bitter sweet...

I'm going insane...

Peace...

mb
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Jul 20 2006, 09:58 AM)
    Records:
    The best way to listen to anything on vinyl is sprawled out on the floor with a pile of records on a sunny afternoon.

Carrying around newly purchased records (or, better yet, old ones found in a thrift store) merits a feeling of pride and warmth that CDs just can't replicate.

Appreciate records.

Karleigh bought $150 worth of vinyl and then had to carry it around NYC. I don't quite know how she managed it, it was damn heavy...and made me glad I only spent $20, haha.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Jul 20 2006, 04:51 PM)
    Karleigh bought $1150 worth of vinyl and then had to carry it around NYC. I don't quite know how she managed it, it was damn heavy...and made me glad I only spent $20, haha.

Wait wait wait. $1150?! (Or, is that mistyped?)
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Jul 20 2006, 04:08 PM)
    Wait wait wait. $1150?! (Or, is that mistyped?)

HAHAHA, no, that was a typo, I wrote it this morning without my glasses on, hahaha. She spent $150. laugh.gif

Oh, and btw, I'm the one who screamed "AMY IS THAT YOU???" on LJ. Just to clarify.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Jul 20 2006, 08:23 PM)
    HAHAHA, no, that was a typo, I wrote it this morning without my glasses on, hahaha. She spent $150. laugh.gif
    Oh, and btw, I'm the one who screamed "AMY IS THAT YOU???" on LJ. Just to clarify.

I figured due to the icon. Before seeing your icon, I wasn't sure if it was a "OH MY GOD AMY! HOW ARE YOU?!" or a "OMG AMY I FOUND YOU. YOU BETTER SLEEP WITH ONE EYE OPEN." I assumed it was the former haha.

Oh good, I'm glad it was a typo because, as much as I love music, $1150 is a bit much. Ooooh, I could easily spend $150 on vinyl.

I go to this store about 15-20 minutes from me: http://www.trashamericanstyle.com/
    It's wonderful. The people who work there are so incredibly nice AND the Moldy Peaches played there once. I was once told that finding a rare record in there was like, "finding a needle in a pile of needles."

So, if you ever are in Southwestern CT, CHECK IT OUT YO.
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Jul 20 2006, 04:50 PM)
    I figured due to the icon. Before seeing your icon, I wasn't sure if it was a "OH MY GOD AMY! HOW ARE YOU?!" or a "OMG AMY I FOUND YOU. YOU BETTER SLEEP WITH ONE EYE OPEN." I assumed it was the former haha.

Oh good, I'm glad it was a typo because, as much as I love music, $1150 is a bit much. Ooooh, I could easily spend $150 on vinyl.

I go to this store about 15-20 minutes from me: http://www.trashamericanstyle.com/
    It's wonderful. The people who work there are so incredibly nice AND the Moldy Peaches played there once. I was once told that finding a rare record in there was like, "finding a needle in a pile of needles."

So, if you ever are in Southwestern CT, CHECK IT OUT YO.

'Twas the former, haha.

Karleigh and I also hit up Vintage Vinyl, which is about 30 minutes from me, and it's pretty wonderful as well, AND OK Go played there once. biggrin.gif Also, this guy who we met at the Siren Fest told us about this place, Academy Records, where he got a first edition, first pressing of the Beatle's White Album vinyl for $10. So now I have to find that place....except it's in Brooklyn, and my parents are scared of Brooklyn...
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Jul 20 2006, 09:19 PM)
    Also, this guy who we met at the Siren Fest told us about this place, Academy Records, where he got a first edition, first pressing of the Beatle's White Album vinyl for $10. So now I have to find that place....except it's in Brooklyn, and my parents are scared of Brooklyn...

WHAT?! Holy CRAP I need to go there. A brooklyn expidition is needed. Holy crap, I'm still in shock.

edit: apparently, the only expression I can use is, "holy crap." I'm so good with the English.
  • Weird, I just spent a good two hours on the floor covered in records at Goodwill. On this trip I ended up with Blondie, The Police and some Rolling Stones. And also the Dirty Dancing soundtrack.
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Jul 20 2006, 10:10 PM)
    Weird, I just spent a good two hours on the floor covered in records at Goodwill. On this trip I ended up with Blondie, The Police and some Rolling Stones. And also the Dirty Dancing soundtrack.

Niiice. I picked up Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell on my last vinyl expidition and, later, an early recording of the original SNL cast (including Chevy Chase doing Weekend Update).

So. Happy.
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Jul 20 2006, 05:10 PM)
    Weird, I just spent a good two hours on the floor covered in records at Goodwill. On this trip I ended up with Blondie, The Police and some Rolling Stones. And also the Dirty Dancing soundtrack.

nice!!!
  • My fingers smell like clementines
  • my clementines smell like fingers...
  • QUOTE (agentnumone @ Jul 21 2006, 01:36 PM)
    my clementines smell like fingers...

Eeeeeeeh. Canniblastitastic.