In this Discussion

Random Stuff

Comments

• ^^ Rach - that would not have been a problem if you'd said it in an English accent. Took me a while to figure out what was wrong, lol.
  • my laptop is Lappy... so clever, I know wink.gif

adfkljadklsfjadksfjds and I seriously just LoL'd, Rach
  • Well yeah, but naming a Laptop "Lappy" is just like naming it after Strongbad's computer. I too have a Lappy.
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Jul 14 2008, 10:37 AM)
    I named my first Coach bag "Baggy", and was going to name the iPod "Poddy" before, well, I said it out loud.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Wow, Rachel, you just made me laugh so hard
    And thanks for all the suggestions guys smile.gif
  • Hmm...I have never named any of my electronical devices. I should name my Macbook though. It's my life. When my Mac sleeps...I sleep.
  • I just got my Macbook and iPod, and I haven't thought of any good or lasting names for either of them.
    I would name them something related to one of my obsessions, but then I'd feel bad for leaving out all the other obsessions.

I'm leaning towards "Johnny" for the macbook and "Gareth" for the iPod.... or maybe the other way around, actually. Those do fall into the category of "what I would name my future children", though.

I'm still not sure...
  • I haven't named my Macbook even though I've had it forevers. My iPod is called VERY OWN CHOCOLATE BAR!!!! Not really a name, but whatever.
  • I got to at like a proper doctor the other night. biggrin.gif

I was at my friend's house party, extraordinarily drunk myself, when my friend collapsed. Everyone insisted that he was fine, but he REALLY didn't look great, so I started doing the first aid stuff I'd been taught on one of my medical courses. I called his name and shook him a little, got no response. So I pinched his earlobe hard and dug my knuckle into his temple, and got no response to pain. So then I knew that something was wrong, so I checked the ABC - airway, breathing, circulation - found some sick in his mouth (eurgh) and had to tilt his head to the side to remove it to free his airway, and put him in the recovery position once I'd made sure that he was breathing ok. Then we called the ambulance and I was on the phone to the paramedic until the ambulance came to take over.

It was so fucking scary, especially as I was absolutely wasted and I was really nervous that I'd forget one of the steps, but he came around and was fine by the time the ambulance arrived smile.gif And now that it's over and I KNOW that I did it all right and he's OK, I'm SO bloody happy!

I CAN'T WAIT TO BE A DOCTOR AND DO THIS ALL THE TIME!!
  • I cannot even begin to tell you how proud that makes me, Alice. You saved his life, honey.

Absolutely BRILLIANT.
  • I'm just in awe. You are a hero, Alice. You are so brave.
  • Thanks, guys wub.gif
    Your pride means a lot to me!
  • Dear Wifey,

This just proves you are REALLY going to be the breadwinner of this marriage. I'm so proud of you for being brave enough to do something like that!!

Love,
    Your loving Wife

P.S This is quite different, but a kid from my high school, 2 years younger I might add (I graduated 2004, he 2006) and last year he passed away because his friends, who were all underage, drunk and on all sorts of drugs, refused to call an ambulance because they were too scared of getting in trouble. He died of a drug overdose, oxy contin I believe, and he was also really drunk. So, while this is quite different, and people overseas are much better about alcohol, learn from what Alice did... k?
  • ^^ Admittedly I don't know ALOT about your drinking culture (being too young to partake - *sigh*) but Britain has been getting steadily worse in that department. And my friend HAD taken drugs, we just didn't know which ones, which I explained to the paramedic - in that situation, they really don't care about the law, their priority is safety.

Thanks, Wifey smile.gif Glad I could help him, that's all.
  • It's such a taboo thing here that... I feel like the age at which kids start binge drinking here is getting steadily younger. I admit I had gotten drunk ONCE when I was like, 14, it was stupid and I got in HUGE trouble... didn't touch it again until I was a freshman in college (18) but even then... I knew how to keep my cool, which is something most of our youth (18-24) is having trouble with.

Everyone at this party where this kid died had all been doing drugs and some were on probation for one thing or another, so their own well-being was their primary concern, not the life of one of their best friends. It was really tragic :-/
  • It's SO so scary how young kids are when they start drinking. A lady at work has a dsughter in 6th grade and she was telling us stories about other kids her daughters age were getting in trouble for drinking or coming to school drunk, etc. 6th GRADE!! 11 YEARS OLD!! Hearing things like that scares the bejesus out of me. And stresses me out.

I just found out a couple years ago that my brother and his friends drank in the basement of our house in 8TH GRADE! I was totally shocked.

• That's really awesome, Alice! You're amazing

Edit: I think I know what I'm going to name my computer! I think I'm going to name it Glyphonyx kulashi! And I might call it Kulashi for short
    And I'm thinking about just naming my iPod Timothy
  • Wow, Alice! When I first learned all those procedures, I always wondered if when that difficult moment comes, I'll be able to actually do it. Your ordeal gives me hope and courage that maybe I will. You're a true hero.
  • Is anyone else's thread layout suddenly weird? Or is it just me? Cuz I can't see everyone's comments. It's got a box at the bottom with everyone's screennames and you can click on it to see their comment. But they're not all shown at the same time on one page. And it just happened suddenly
  • Alice, that is amazing! I am so proud of you! I would not have been able to keep my cool in a situation like that.
  • QUOTE (Rebekker @ Jul 15 2008, 10:11 PM)
    Is anyone else's thread layout suddenly weird? Or is it just me? Cuz I can't see everyone's comments. It's got a box at the bottom with everyone's screennames and you can click on it to see their comment. But they're not all shown at the same time on one page. And it just happened suddenly

um, nevermind.....my bad, I fixed it. I clicked on Options towards the top and changed it back to standard view. I don't know how it got changed. Well, I kinda feel like I'm talkin to myself right now, but 's ok