In this Discussion

New video and new single

Comments

• QUOTE (rkpetersen @ Feb 16 2007, 01:20 AM)
    The video actually fits the song pretty well I think, since all these crazy people are in fact doing what they want.

Sorry to quote this again, but after having watched the video at least 20 more times, I realized how well I think the video goes with the song. The people really are doing what they want. Also, I think that it matches up well. Like when that 'lizard' thing is happening-it goes perfectly with the music. So does the hula-hooper, and the thing that Damian (or at least I'm assuming its him) does with his hands, and also the shuffling. All the moves actually. I'm not sure if this is making any sense, but I realized how well I think the song and the video go.
    Alright, I think I'm done adding my two cents for now.

****EDIT****
    Actually I just watched that part that I thought was Damian, and it might not be him. I'm not sure.
  • Oh I finally got to watch it!!

I'm feeling rather confused now. And a little disoriented.
    First off - I love the idea. I think the conecpt's genius, and I do love Damian's directing. And I'll accept that it fits with the lyrics, in that people are doing what they want. But it doesn't seem to be connected somehow at the same time. Argh, I can't explain it. Maybe it's because you can't see anyone singing along to it coz their faces are covered (I'd have prefered it without masks i think) but it just doesnt seem to fit somehow. The song and the video are like two separate things.

But at the same time I do like it.
    Argh.
    I'm gonna have to watch more and see if I can love it like nostabenitirhc does.
  • I really want them to be known for their music, and for being different, not trying to be different!

And I always interpreted the song to be somewhat of a classic rock kind of cocky thing, where everyone has a rockstar attitude and is just cruising along enjoying their freedom and their lives. Kind of "Life in the Fast Lane."
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Feb 16 2007, 06:35 PM)
    Oh I finally got to watch it!!

I'm feeling rather confused now. And a little disoriented.
    First off - I love the idea. I think the conecpt's genius, and I do love Damian's directing. And I'll accept that it fits with the lyrics, in that people are doing what they want. But it doesn't seem to be connected somehow at the same time. Argh, I can't explain it. Maybe it's because you can't see anyone singing along to it coz their faces are covered (I'd have prefered it without masks i think) but it just doesnt seem to fit somehow. The song and the video are like two separate things.

But at the same time I do like it.
    Argh.
    I'm gonna have to watch more and see if I can love it like nostabenitirhc does.

Hey thats me! Yea I was so confused, and I didn't really think the music went with the video. They just didn't seem connected, but now they do. I think it's because at first you are so amazed at what the people are doing, and at how everything is covered with the same crazy pattern, but once you watch it and aren't so distracted, you really get it. Or at least I think thats how it worked for me.
  • Lol
    that makes me feel better smile.gif
    Thanks

I do agree with Courtneytastic as well tho...
    They shouldn't try to hard. They're already insanely different and original, but they shouldn't try and push it or it could look too contrived.

[i still love you, ok go!]
  • OK Go, I love you more than anything else in the world, except God, my parents, and myself.
  • I don't really think they tried too hard. I think that they had a bold idea and went with it. And I personally believe it was a great idea.
    :]
  • QUOTE (nostabenitsirhc @ Feb 16 2007, 06:03 PM)
    I don't really think they tried too hard. I think that they had a bold idea and went with it. And I personally believe it was a great idea.
    :]

I thought it was a good idea too, but you know, if they went with it because they thought it was cool and it just happened to be different, then that's amazingtastic. But if they went with it to be different...not so much. But I bet it was the former. Difference is subconscious, not will.

Haha, look at me being all philosophical about being different...then you realize I might be a preppy clone with no soul other than her social life of backstabbing friends and multiple boyfriends. Haha...just kidding.
  • Haha nice Courtney. I see how it could be mistaken for trying to be different, but I don't know. I don't really see it that way. I see it as them just being crazy and fun.
  • Ah you both have very good points. And I don't think we'll ever find out. Coz they always said they weren't going to try to top HIGA - which makes me think it's genuine awesomeness - but they turned up at the grammys in the suits - which makes me think they may have tried too hard.

*sigh*
    ok, im gonna leave it at this for now -
    the video is incredibly cool. if that was the point, then well done ok go. if the point was just to be deliberately different, then they still succeeded, but some coolness is lost.

either way the boys did good and they're still cool
    right?

*i dont even understand my own logic...*
  • ^^Hey! You made it over here! biggrin.gif I was going to tell you to get over here about a week ago, but um. I forgot. 'Cause I suck. Haha.
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Feb 16 2007, 07:18 PM)
    they always said they weren't going to try to top HIGA - which makes me think it's genuine awesomeness

I must say, I agree with that.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Feb 17 2007, 12:21 AM)
    ^^Hey! You made it over here! biggrin.gif I was going to tell you to get over here about a week ago, but um. I forgot. 'Cause I suck. Haha.

LOL!
    Thanks, Jedi
    And no worries. I eventually got my arse in gear cool.gif

I'm not liking the whole "hanger-on" thing tho
    Feeling rather inadequate sad.gif
  • QUOTE (nostabenitsirhc @ Feb 16 2007, 06:13 PM)
    Haha nice Courtney. I see how it could be mistaken for trying to be different, but I don't know. I don't really see it that way. I see it as them just being crazy and fun.

Yes, I see it that way too, but I'm just begging them to please alternate between different and somewhat normal-different so as not to make people think that way.
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Feb 16 2007, 07:26 PM)
    I'm not liking the whole "hanger-on" thing tho
    Feeling rather inadequate sad.gif

I know what you mean...I feel like I'm not as good of a fan as the people who have more blue squares.
  • Ah it'll be cool
    Just remember
    A girl is not measured by the number of blue squares she has, but by what she does with them.
    Which is, admittedly, fuck all.
    but it comforts me, so... tongue.gif
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Feb 16 2007, 07:46 PM)
    Ah it'll be cool
    Just remember
    A girl is not measured by the number of blue squares she has, but by what she does with them.
    Which is, admittedly, fuck all.
    but it comforts me, so... tongue.gif

Haha.
  • GAAAAAAAAAAH! They aren't the featured videos list in youtube sad.gif
    they are in most viewed music videos of the day, but I'd so rather they were in the featured videos list sad.gif
    That was how I discovered them- from HIGA in the featured videos list.
    I doubt ppl look at music videos of the day- the featured list is much more prominent sad.gif waaah
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Feb 16 2007, 08:54 PM)
    GAAAAAAAAAAH! They aren't the featured videos list in youtube sad.gif
    they are in most viewed music videos of the day, but I'd so rather they were in the featured videos list sad.gif
    That was how I discovered them- from HIGA in the featured videos list.
    I doubt ppl look at music videos of the day- the featured list is much more prominent sad.gif waaah

Maybe they'll work their way in there :]
  • ah, this is sad.
    HIGA had 1000,000 hits the day it was up. This DWYW has only about 900. sad.gif waaaah!