In this Discussion

New video and new single

edited November -1 in OK Go
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070111/lath079.html?.v=81

This Friday, the recent Grammy nominees guest star and perform on the hit NBC series "Las Vegas" and the following weekend they'll shoot the video for their next single, "Do What You Want," in Los Angeles. Lead singer Damian Kulash will direct.

EDIT (I meant to highlight this part too):
OK Go, whose innovative approach to the Internet has put them at music's digital frontier, will close the book on their astoundingly successful "OK Go Dances With You(Tube)" contest on January 16th, when the band will announce winners via a video posted on okgo.net and http://youtube.com/okgo.

Comments

• HA!

ooh, im excited!!! one more day biggrin.gif

EDIT: AAHHHH i'm sorry, i guess im the idiot. didn't fully understand.
    now im embarrassed. unsure.gif
  • How are they idiots? It's probably true.
  • Isn't there already a DWYW video?

Maybe the new one will be less motion-sickness-inducing. sleep.gif
  • There are two videos, but the official version never really took off, so it's possible that they're re-releasing the single with another one.
  • When I first read that I was like 'wait aren't there already two?!' But yeah... I could do with a music video that doesn't make me want to throw up afterward. The guys look great.. its just the dang camera..
    But I love the DWYW band tour vid..

Hm, so now I'm really interested in what that article meant.
  • I LOVE the tour video for DWYW. I totally forgot about it. I like the part where they skip rocks, and when Dan chucks that giant rock into the river Tim's like "wtf". laugh.gif So there's going to be three videos? Weeeird. But awesome.
  • QUOTE (Claret @ Jan 11 2007, 03:00 PM)
    I LOVE the tour video for DWYW. I totally forgot about it. I like the part where they skip rocks, and when Dan chucks that giant rock into the river Tim's like "wtf". laugh.gif So there's going to be three videos? Weeeird. But awesome.

That is also my favorite part smile.gif

and the sidewalk seizures...
  • QUOTE (mmmary @ Jan 11 2007, 06:06 PM)

And the wiping out/heel clicking on the snow hill~ Those scenes are cute too tongue.gif
  • QUOTE (mmmary @ Jan 11 2007, 05:06 PM)

Aye. The sidewalk seizures are also my favorite part. I had no idea Tim was capable of such movements, I always pictured him as the very sophisticated and somewhat domineering character of them all. It strikes me as 'out of character', but this makes it all the more enjoyable.

I'm very glad at the prospect of a re-release of Do What You Want aswell as a new video. While I love Here It Goes Again, I feel that there are songs of their own that need to be embraced just as fully as HIGA has. They are correct in taking this opportune moment to do this kind of thing, while they are the 'rage' I guess. I'm very interested in what new video Do What You Want will be. Most of their 'non-DIY' videos have featured them in a room, playing on their guitars. Since Damian is directing (or atleast partially) I hope it will be a little more creative and genuine I guess. Not exactly dancing on treadmills or worshipping the backyards' scenery... Just some other craetive stroke of genius. =)

I'm excited and frustrated, I simply cannot wait. - Thanks for sharing.
  • QUOTE (mmmary @ Jan 11 2007, 06:06 PM)

I always wished that shot would last longer. I crack up every time I see it. laugh.gif
    Yay, new Do What You Want video! Third time's the charm I guess....
  • QUOTE (EcstaticGrandmas?! @ Jan 11 2007, 06:24 PM)
    They are correct in taking this opportune moment to do this kind of thing, while they are the 'rage' I guess.

I don't want them to be the rage! I want them to stay indie, they've got such a tight fan community (as we all know).
    Oh well. I'm happy for them that they're getting recognition. I guess I just can't stop "the rage." dry.gif
  • Dan mentioned this in Chicago on the 30th--he said he's happy cuz he doesn't think he's even going to be in it, doesn't have to do anything. lol He said he thought maybe none of them would be in it. He didn't divulge what it's going to be like, though. Jackie and I said something to him about Damian having said awhile back that they've already done (or had plans for) something that will top HIGA in blowing-your-mind-ness, but if they've actually done that, Dan hid it well--he was completely unreadable about that when we brought it up; anyway, I'm rambling ... I think my points are that I don't think this video is going to be what Damian was talking about then, and Dan said he thinks the new video's going to be really cool.

When he said that about them not being in it, I said, "Agh, bands always think videos without the band in them are great, but the fans don't; they want to see the band," and he was like, "Just wait--you're gonna like it. It's going to be really cool." Which led into me conceding that I like the "There's a Fire" video and think it's really funny.

I think it's smart, too, rereleasing the song and capitalizing on the HIGA fame, and DWYW's the smart choice, as it'll be familiar from the JC Penney commercials ...
  • QUOTE (Claret @ Jan 11 2007, 06:23 PM)
    And the wiping out/heel clicking on the snow hill~ Those scenes are cute too tongue.gif
    Yes, they are cute. Did this remind anyone else of the Beatles in A Hard Day's Night - the scene when they escape the TV studio and go running and jumping around in a field? I love that scene. If you haven't watched A Hard Day's Night, I recommend it. It should be part of your pop music education!

I wonder if the new video will have fireworks footage in it. (If it does, I want you to remember that I said this.)
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Jan 11 2007, 06:11 PM)
    I wonder if the new video will have fireworks footage in it. (If it does, I want you to remember that I said this.)

What would lead you to think that?
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Jan 11 2007, 07:11 PM)
    Did this remind anyone else of the Beatles in A Hard Day's Night - the scene when they escape the TV studio and go running and jumping around in a field? I love that scene. If you haven't watched A Hard Day's Night, I recommend it. It should be part of your pop music education!

Ooo, another die hard beatles fan? Tempe is all drooly for the Fab 4. Yes, all that Hard Day's Night stuff is exactly what came to mind when I saw that vid!
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Jan 11 2007, 09:20 PM)
    Ooo, another die hard beatles fan? Tempe is all drooly for the Fab 4. Yes, all that Hard Day's Night stuff is exactly what came to mind when I saw that vid!

That's one of my favorite movies. I did a sort of homage to A Hard Day's Night for my film class in which three of my girl friends chase around one of my other guy friends who's got that long shaggy hairy rockstar look. I actually filmed it right outside Irving Plaza on the day Ok Go were playing there, so because I was there all I day I saw both Tim and Andy walk in. I pretty much flipped. I was too shy to talk to them though...

Sorry! Boring anecdote! rolleyes.gif
  • QUOTE (starshaped @ Jan 11 2007, 07:37 PM)
    That's one of my favorite movies. I did a sort of homage to A Hard Day's Night for my film class in which three of my girl friends chase around one of my other guy friends who's got that long shaggy hairy rockstar look. I actually filmed it right outside Irving Plaza on the day Ok Go were playing there, so because I was there all I day I saw both Tim and Andy walk in. I pretty much flipped. I was too shy to talk to them though...

Sorry! Boring anecdote! rolleyes.gif

Aww, that's so cool. You should've talked to them. They would've appreciated it. But it must have been so awesome to spend the day doing a project and then run into them. You lucky girl.
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Jan 11 2007, 09:42 PM)
    Aww, that's so cool. You should've talked to them. They would've appreciated it. But it must have been so awesome to spend the day doing a project and then run into them. You lucky girl.

Yeah, I was carrying my tripod and I turned around and Tim just suddenly appeared. blink.gif I almost dropped all my stuff. Yup, I'm a first class nerd, no doubt about it. I was seriously considering telling him that I was going to their show that night, but he was talking with one of the roadies (I think it was that guy with the dreds) and I didn't want to interrupt.
    Ah well, I'll be back. They haven't seen the last of me!
  • I thought of "A Hard Day's Night" and "Help!" watching that video too!