In this Discussion

New video and new single

Comments

• QUOTE (sherib @ Jan 11 2007, 10:18 PM)
    I thought of "A Hard Day's Night" and "Help!" watching that video too!

I've never seen "Help!"
    It's apparently very hard to find.
  • I confess I've never seen it either, or the whole "Hard Day's Night" movie. I've only seen "videos" for individual songs from the movies, made up of clips from them ... And that DWYW vid totally made me think of the one for the song "Help!"

I've seen all of "Yellow Submarine" ... *tries to feel better about self*
  • Pff, the Beatles voices aren't even in that one! AHDN is sososo cute. Especially George's scene with Patti Boyd.
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Jan 11 2007, 09:27 PM)
    Dan mentioned this in Chicago on the 30th--he said he's happy cuz he doesn't think he's even going to be in it, doesn't have to do anything. lol He said he thought maybe none of them would be in it. He didn't divulge what it's going to be like, though.

As long as it's not animated. Animated music videos annoy me to no end.

I'm excited to see what it is, though. I wonder how long it'll be before it's released.
  • QUOTE (QueenofthePosers @ Jan 11 2007, 10:32 PM)
    As long as it's not animated. Animated music videos annoy me to no end.

Not a Gorillaz fan I take it?
    Ha, sorry. I'm such a nut for Gorillaz. They got me into so much good music.
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Jan 11 2007, 10:23 PM)
    I confess I've never seen it either, or the whole "Hard Day's Night" movie. I've only seen "videos" for individual songs from the movies, made up of clips from them ... And that DWYW vid totally made me think of the one for the song "Help!"

I've seen all of "Yellow Submarine" ... *tries to feel better about self*

Yellow Submarine is so awesome. One of the best animated films of Britain.
    Yes, it tops Wallace and Gromit.
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Jan 11 2007, 09:11 PM)
    Did this remind anyone else of the Beatles in A Hard Day's Night - the scene when they escape the TV studio and go running and jumping around in a field? I love that scene. If you haven't watched A Hard Day's Night, I recommend it. It should be part of your pop music education!

I thought the exact same thing when I saw it! The scenes in the train are cool, too. And the mean little old man. I need to see that movie again! tongue.gif
  • far to many posts for me to read as im in a hurry

odds on the new vid being the dance contest winners?

also, they just bought out the dvd with all the vids on, why couldnt they have done this new vid before =p

*sigh*
  • Really really strange...
  • QUOTE (starshaped @ Jan 12 2007, 12:11 AM)
    Not a Gorillaz fan I take it?
    Ha, sorry. I'm such a nut for Gorillaz. They got me into so much good music.

Haha, not so much. I can take one or two songs at a time, but not the videos. Any more than that means I'm leaving the room.

But the dance contest was to AMW, right? so that wouldn't work with DWYW.
  • QUOTE (QueenofthePosers @ Jan 12 2007, 03:56 PM)
    Haha, not so much. I can take one or two songs at a time, but not the videos. Any more than that means I'm leaving the room.

But the dance contest was to AMW, right? so that wouldn't work with DWYW.

you never know, they might just be involved in the vid, which i highly doubt now as no one would be able to keep that a secret

im out of ideas
  • QUOTE (starshaped @ Jan 11 2007, 06:57 PM)
    I don't want them to be the rage! I want them to stay indie, they've got such a tight fan community (as we all know).
    Oh well. I'm happy for them that they're getting recognition. I guess I just can't stop "the rage." dry.gif

Well, I agree in some ways. If they kept to the old-fashioned indie ways there would be less chance of us having to share OK Go with the rest of the whole durned world. Trust me, I have witnessed and been a part of a series of circumstances that led me to believe that OK Go's rising fame was nothing but trouble for those people who want nothing more than to keep the band some-what obscure and of no notice from the obsessive outside world (which, I can't scold because I'm sure we all belong to that world in this respect), or atleast the outsiders who aren't fans already... I don't know... You know what I'm saying though, no new fans, we don't want share, we like things way they are... there.

BUT, in retrospect of all the notoriety that is befalling upon OK Go for the 'treads', I guess we should all be happy for them at least. I really don't feel like sharing either though. I was contemplating over an upcoming show and realized the chances of running into them after the show is scarce, due to the security that will most certainly barricade fans from the objects of our desire.

QUOTE (sherib @ Jan 11 2007, 07:27 PM)
    Dan mentioned this in Chicago on the 30th--he said he's happy cuz he doesn't think he's even going to be in it, doesn't have to do anything. lol He said he thought maybe none of them would be in it. He didn't divulge what it's going to be like, though. Jackie and I said something to him about Damian having said awhile back that they've already done (or had plans for) something that will top HIGA in blowing-your-mind-ness, but if they've actually done that, Dan hid it well--he was completely unreadable about that when we brought it up; anyway, I'm rambling ... I think my points are that I don't think this video is going to be what Damian was talking about then, and Dan said he thinks the new video's going to be really cool.

When he said that about them not being in it, I said, "Agh, bands always think videos without the band in them are great, but the fans don't; they want to see the band," and he was like, "Just wait--you're gonna like it. It's going to be really cool." Which led into me conceding that I like the "There's a Fire" video and think it's really funny.
    I think it's smart, too, rereleasing the song and capitalizing on the HIGA fame, and DWYW's the smart choice, as it'll be familiar from the JC Penney commercials ...

I agree with the whole, "Bands always think videos without the wband in them are great, but the fans don't..." yap yap. I think that I would much rather like to see all of them doing something extremely out there, unique, and fun; but like I said, WITH them in it. And you are right about the "There's a Fire" video. That was perfectly formulated by people with a great sense of humour.

In short... I cannot wait. Any ideas of what the video-performance will be?
  • QUOTE (EcstaticGrandmas?! @ Jan 12 2007, 05:23 PM)
    Well, I agree in some ways. If they kept to the old-fashioned indie ways there would be less chance of us having to share OK Go with the rest of the whole durned world. Trust me, I have witnessed and been a part of a series of circumstances that led me to believe that OK Go's rising fame was nothing but trouble for those people who want nothing more than to keep the band some-what obscure and of no notice from the obsessive outside world (which, I can't scold because I'm sure we all belong to that world in this respect), or atleast the outsiders who aren't fans already... I don't know... You know what I'm saying though, no new fans, we don't want share, we like things way they are... there.

BUT, in retrospect of all the notoriety that is befalling upon OK Go for the 'treads', I guess we should all be happy for them at least. I really don't feel like sharing either though. I was contemplating over an upcoming show and realized the chances of running into them after the show is scarce, due to the security that will most certainly barricade fans from the objects of our desire.

I agree with the whole, "Bands always think videos without the wband in them are great, but the fans don't..." yap yap. I think that I would much rather like to see all of them doing something extremely out there, unique, and fun; but like I said, WITH them in it. And you are right about the "There's a Fire" video. That was perfectly formulated by people with a great sense of humour.

In short... I cannot wait. Any ideas of what the video-performance will be?

Yeah, I just find it incredibly sad when bands who used to play really small, intimate venues start playing in huge stadiums for thousands of people. I just hate it. It becomes all about the ego and it's not about the music any more.

As for the video, I hope they are in it. And I gotta say, I really love it when the video has a story and the band acts in it. I know it's kind of corny, and performance videos are cool too, but I really love when they do characters. happy.gif
  • QUOTE (starshaped @ Jan 12 2007, 05:33 PM)
    Yeah, I just find it incredibly sad when bands who used to play really small, intimate venues start playing in huge stadiums for thousands of people. I just hate it. It becomes all about the ego and it's not about the music any more.

As for the video, I hope they are in it. And I gotta say, I really love it when the video has a story and the band acts in it. I know it's kind of corny, and performance videos are cool too, but I really love when they do characters. happy.gif

Well. I have confidence that OK Go won't become an egoistic band at any time. They rock too much.

I completely agree. I like it whenever bands become characters in a story of some sort. I really don't pay attention to music videos that much to know of any different style than that. I remember seeing a video of some band's though, and it had a whole bunch of art in the background and foreground... and they made it seem like some surreal fairy-tale land with pixies and stuff. It was very cool...

But I can't picture OK Go doing this.
  • I heard Dan say in an interview that he wanted to do a narrative. Is that the type of video we're talking about? Yeah, I guess it is. Cool.
    So, are they re-releasing all the singles, now that they've re-released the album?
  • QUOTE (starshaped @ Jan 12 2007, 07:43 PM)
    So, are they re-releasing all the singles, now that they've re-released the album?

I doubt that. I would think this is the last thing until the new album happens, but I have no clue. Maybe if this re-release turns out super-successful they would re-release more, but if this one doesn't do that well, it doesn't seem cost-effective ...
  • tempe, sheri, dietpepsi and starshaped: Yay for Beatles fans! A Hard Day's Night is my favorite Beatles movie. Thin on plot, but heavy on early Beatlemania; a pop milestone.

mmmary: When OK Go played in Cincinnati last October, we were having fireworks at the end of the night, right after their set. Damian needed fireworks footage for a new video idea he had, and he needed it in like the next 8 days, and he asked me to help him get a video camera. I did find one and get it to him, but it took me some time, and in the meantime he managed to borrow one from a fan and videotaped our fireworks with that.

Given the timing, he probably wanted it for the video backgrounds for the tour that started in LA late last October, which was about 2 weeks after Cincinnati. But I saw the Chicago shows in November, and I don't remember any fireworks footage on the screen behind the stage. Of course, I really wasn't watching the screen much, so I may have missed it - or else he couldn't use or decided not to use the footage he got. Did anyone catch any fireworks footage on the video screen on the last tour? I would be happy to know that our fireworks ended up in OK Go's show.
  • what? there's a video for There's a Fire?
  • ah, the dvd i don't own, okay.