In this Discussion

Harry Potter

Comments

• ^^ aww i totally agree!!

When he said "i just feel so angry" my friend and i said exactly in sync "he's such an angry young man!" idk why i find that so funny, it just was laugh.gif
    I thought they did the dialogue really well especially because they stuck mostly to what's in the book.

I was seriously buzzing when i came out and it was 1am!!
  • QUOTE (Felster @ Jul 11 2007, 09:26 PM)
    Racheal... is adam pertending that his hand is half way into the wall? if so, HE IS HILARIOUS! hahah

He is, in fact, doing just that. I told him what you said and he nodded and said "I am." Which is pretty much the reaction I expect from him. smile.gif

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif OMG this movie. Visually stunning, really. I want to go back and see it in a regular theatre though, because I felt that the IMAX made certain things difficult to see - the format change was jarring to me. Also the 3D was distracting. As cool as it was and all, I want to go see it in a regular theatre too.

Also, that movie is a loveletter to Ginny's fans. No, she may not have gotten as much screentime as the book would have allowed, but there was a LOT of subtext in there to tide us through to the next movie.

Casting for Luna was brilliant, although there was no surprise there for me. The moment I saw a picture of Evanna Lynch when they FIRST announced her being cast, I KNEW she was perfect. She did not let me down. <3

UMBRIDGE. OMG UMBRIDGE. What a Fucking BITCH!!!!!!!! I hated her even more than I did when I read the book!!! Imelda Staunton is a damn genius, that's what she is!!!

I loved the trio as per usual, and I think I stopped breathing for a minute when that part with the veil happened.

Oh. Again. The Weasley family. I love the Weasleys. I actually shook my fist at Percy when he came on screen. And I love Mrs. Weasley. And Mr. Weasley. But Most of all I <3 Mrs. Weasley.
  • OMG! Saw it last night! I had to drive to a theatre that was 40 mins away when there was one only 5 mins away that was sold out! I gotta say, that drive was tense!

The movie: Brilliant! Although, I kinda agree that it was definitely for the fans. If you hadn't read the book, I don't know how you would've understood it! Like the whole 'Harry dreams about the door' I totally forgot about until the end!

That one scene with James, Sirius, Snape, and Lily as kids... I wish it was longer. That was my most favorite scene of all the of the books combined... so serious letdown.

WORD! I must've re-read that chapter like a million times!

Everytime Snape would come on the screen, I would whisper to my friend in the tiniest voice ever "Bother!" and we'd crack up laughing, haha. It's a reference to the Potter Puppet Pals.

Our audience was awesome, we clapped at the end!!

Luna was so good! I was surprised because i'm always a bit wary of child actors, but she was so spot on. And Umbridge was just perfect. The moment she slapped Harry, I was a bit afraid because here was a woman who was just about ready to do ANYTHING.

Rachel, that hand thing with Adam is just plain awesome! I have to do that when I go there! Bwahaha!

Ooh, does anyone else think that the Weasley twins bear a passing resemblance to that lead guy from Queens of the Stone Age whose name I have conveniently forgotten?
  • QUOTE (LolaBert @ Jul 12 2007, 07:40 AM)
    Everytime Snape would come on the screen, I would whisper to my friend in the tiniest voice ever "Bother!" and we'd crack up laughing, haha. It's a reference to the Potter Puppet Pals.

Ooh, does anyone else think that the Weasley twins bear a passing resemblance to that lead guy from Queens of the Stone Age whose name I have conveniently forgotten?

Hehe, when Voldemort came on the screen at first my friend and I started singing "voldemort, voldemort, oo voldy voldy voldy, voldemort!!" then it was stuck in my head for the rest of the time and completely ruined the scariness/seriousness of Voldemort.... but it was worth it =P

and you mean Josh Homme? I guess, although Josh Homme is really big, I mean like he's not just tall but also solid and muscular like woah. And the twins are delightfully stick-thin wub.gif But esp. since the twins had shorter hair in this movie, I guess there is a bit of resemblance. I dunno.
  • Snape, snape, Severus snape (DUMBLEDORE) Snape, snape, severus snape (DUMBLEDORE) ron snape ron snape ron WEASLEY

Best Potter Puppet Pals episode ever
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Jul 12 2007, 10:29 AM)
    Snape, snape, Severus snape (DUMBLEDORE) Snape, snape, severus snape (DUMBLEDORE) ron snape ron snape ron WEASLEY
    Best Potter Puppet Pals episode ever
    I found the source of the ticking! It's a pipe bomb!
    Yaaaaaaaayyyy
  • hahaha I like Harry's angsty one: "harry potter, harry potter, UH! harry potter, harry potter, YEAH!"
    and you mean Josh Homme? I guess, although Josh Homme is really big, I mean like he's not just tall but also solid and muscular like woah. And the twins are delightfully stick-thin wub.gif But esp. since the twins had shorter hair in this movie, I guess there is a bit of resemblance. I dunno.

YES! That was bugging me. Yeah, I asked my friend about it and she's like "it's because of the hair isn't it?" to which I guiltily replied "Yes" because she knows I have this crazy/weird obsession with guy's hair.

I still love the classics "Nine sickles and a dungbomb, must be my lucky day!" and "I am Severus Snape - the Potions Master!"
  • haha yeah those ones are great too, they all are.
    "I'm feeling cranky and pubescent today, and I don't know why. I'm going to take it out on people I like."
    and then when he's banging his head on the wall..."angst...angst...angst..."
  • im gona admit it.
    i never read the books.
    cause i dont fall into peer pressure.
    haha
    and i dont like to read that crap.
    but the movies i like alot
  • <3 fred and george.
  • ^^^ hehe aawwww! me too!!

i'm proud to say i didnt read harry potter because of "peer pressure" or anything, i was reading it before any of my friends knew what it was. In fact i clearly remember donating the first book to my primary school library when nobody had heard of its wonders. Now the book is all tattered and faded from extensive use, but my name is still in it so every generation will know how cool i am!! cool.gif
  • ^^ you should feel proud that every kid that reads that book now wonders who was the cool person who donated the book and readed it before they did...
  • QUOTE (GirlInTheDark @ Jul 13 2007, 05:54 AM)
    im gona admit it.
    i never read the books.
    cause i dont fall into peer pressure.
    haha
    and i dont like to read that crap.
    but the movies i like alot

The books (especially the last few) are actually super-good. Her style of writing has actually matured quite a bit and, though they are a book series for kids in the end, her writing style and the way Rowling creates her characters actually shows a very good grasp of the written language. I know it sounds silly, but the whole thing is rather excellent, and I'm a pretty big book snob (I mean, seriously, I worked in a library. I fucking love books). Still, I love reading Harry Potter because it's just so... involved.

I mean, if you don't want to read them, that's alright too, but they shouldn't be discounted because they've become so huge. They're popular for a reason.
  • Don't get me wrong, I liked the film, but I was a little disappointed, Tonks was ruined, which really pissed me off. It also felt as though they cut too much out of it. I don't think that the film would be too friendly for people who haven't read the books. Grawp looked crap. But yeah, my main grief with it is that they left too much out. But yeah, Order of the Phoenix is my least favourite of the books, so yeah. Also, I missed the very opening scene of the film, so I was annoyed. Also, the veil was NOTHING like I had imagined it to be. The film's version of that scene was nowhere near as dramatic as the one in the book. Also, Sirius was my favourite character, so yeah. Yarg.

But yeah, other than those flaws, the film was really quite good. 9/10. Imelda Staunton as Umbridge was magnificent, as was Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix.
  • QUOTE (m_I_a @ Jul 13 2007, 10:21 PM)
    ^^ you should feel proud that every kid that reads that book now wonders who was the cool person who donated the book and readed it before they did...

oh yeah!! haha i have actually made my sister (who is still in primary school) borrow the book so i could get another look at it and i also tell her to tell her friends that the "cool person" is her sister cool.gif

QUOTE (tonetoile @ Jul 13 2007, 10:59 PM)
    The books (especially the last few) are actually super-good. Her style of writing has actually matured quite a bit and, though they are a book series for kids in the end, her writing style and the way Rowling creates her characters actually shows a very good grasp of the written language. I know it sounds silly, but the whole thing is rather excellent, and I'm a pretty big book snob (I mean, seriously, I worked in a library. I fucking love books). Still, I love reading Harry Potter because it's just so... involved.

I mean, if you don't want to read them, that's alright too, but they shouldn't be discounted because they've become so huge. They're popular for a reason.

You can definately see the improvement in her writing style as the books progress. It's especially easy to pick up on it when you read them back-to-back as i have just done, in preparation for the next one (i'm soooo excited biggrin.gif)
    It's really not "silly" the whole thing is rather excellent, the story is absolutely brilliant and it's just so engaging. I love it!
  • I am now officially going to the launch party in Toronto next friday night. smile.gif!! GLEE!

Today I go shopping for Harry Potter clothes so I can go in costume... and by in costume I mean school uniform, basically
  • i get to go see it again tonight! but on IMAX smile.gif
  • QUOTE (katieyellow @ Jul 14 2007, 01:41 PM)
    i get to go see it again tonight! but on IMAX smile.gif
    I want to see it on IMAX O_O
    Tell me how it is, kay?
  • I get to go to Harvard Square the night of the release <3...it'll be turned into Diagon Alley... and I'll get to see Harry and the Potters for free...
    If I wanted to, I could even get someone to buy me some alcoholic butterbeer... but I'm not going to, I don't think. Even though the idea of alcoholic butterbeer is fantastic, I'm too much of a goody-goody. smile.gif laugh.gif

I'm insanely excited.

ahhh it's so close.