In this Discussion

Harry Potter

Comments

• haha thats aweomse i just bought my sister a poster with all of them on it and it says Dumbledores Army at the bottom
  • I really want the shirt that says "Wizards do it with Wands"

It's just so perfect.
  • QUOTE (Juniperberry! @ Aug 31 2007, 07:43 PM)
    I really want the shirt that says "Wizards do it with Wands"

It's just so perfect.

haha omg that would be the most coolest shirt ever!! haha
  • To the person asking why none of Ron/Hermione's kids were named Fred, it's because George names his first son Fred, according to Rowling in a later interview in which she answers a buttload of questions. Meanwhile, I bawled when Hedwig died, and then when I thought Hagrid died.

I'm just glad Molly lived. She's always been my favourite character and the idea of her dying killed me. Totally picked Snape being in love with Lily. Though, who didn't?
  • All spoilery! Can we stop using spoiler tags?? I think everyone who's keen to discuss this has already read the book...

QUOTE (DJRose @ Aug 13 2007, 05:17 PM)
    And quite proud of it!

I didn't want Harry to die. It ended the way I wanted it to end. So I'm happy.

Thanks for posting that interview, Katy!

Harry was never going to die, even with everyone out there going on about how it would be a "more heroic" or "more fitting" ending. That's bullshit. First off, you're going to make this poor character slop through 7 books only to die? What kind of message does that send? I don't know if the dying-but-not-really thing was a cop out (but that scene in "King's Cross" was certainly odd), but Harry's acceptance of death was essential for him to live, basically.

A friend of mine also posted a whole bunch of reasons as to why Harry wasn't going to die, which I will repost for you now (and hopefully he won't be mad), because he is way smarter than I:

I am just this side of convinced that Harry will not die, for the following very circumstantial reasons:
    -Much harder to sell plastic toys (though it would be gloriously morbid).
    -I can very easily imagine a scene in which Ron dies, Harry and Hermione wig out for a bit, and then Hermione, through her tears, says the Hermione equivalent of "Let's go kick some ass for Ron."
    -Harry is, after all, called the Boy Who Lived.
    -He keeps doing this Ishtar thing in which he goes to the metaphorical underworld, but there is not very much actual death symbolism attached to the character -- he suffers like a motherfuck, but really just gets knocked out or screams a lot.

Predictions of his death are continuously debunked or otherwise wrong: Voldemort, obviously, but the Grim also turns out to be a completely friendly presence, and Trelawney's predictions of Harry's death aren't portrayed like the predictions we know have/will come true.

Also, past underworlds and references to Harry's visiting places of death abound, but he's continually able to escape them, whereas others are not:
    Book 1: the series of obstacles leading to the Philosopher's Stone is under the school (and guarded by Cerberus). Also note that Ron is out for the count via self-sacrifice and Hermione chooses to remain behind, though she isn't injured.
    Book 2: the Chamber of Secrets is also underground, I believe, due to pipes and whatnot. Lockhart is irreparably damaged, and Harry is unconscious but revived (by a phoenix; rebirth blah blah).
    Book 3: the Shrieking Shack is accessed by tunnel, where the specter of death turns out to be a friend and ally.
    Book 4: though not underground, it all goes down in a graveyard, where Cedric bites it and Harry is again super-alive.
    Book 5: battle at the Ministry, which is underground, and Sirius goes through the veil.
    Book 6: yeah, yeah, the Lightning-Struck Tower is hardcore not underground, but the cave with Liquid Death is, and the Tower tarot card is sometimes affiliated with Satan or referred to as Hell.
    Book 7: we have not, apparently, seen the last of Sirius, or of the veil. I smell a Vision Quest -- a metaphysical/spiritual-type underworld journey instead of a physical one. And a dog is a very appropriate guide, and of course every good Vision Quest needs a spirit guide. (This would also, I think, enable Sirius to be present and comforting without communicating with Harry in the traditional way.)

And as someone else pointed out (and this goes along with the plastic figurine thing), they're building a Harry Potter-themed park in FL. You can't open a theme park when the main character dies. Who the hell would go there??

QUOTE (God @ Sep 1 2007, 03:50 AM)
    Totally picked Snape being in love with Lily. Though, who didn't?

Yeah, that bothered me a bit, because it actually felt totally predictable. "Oh, look, these two people who you THOUGHT were enemies really AREN'T and that's SUPER ESSENTIAL to the plot line!" But I also think that has to do with the fandom to some degree: shipping has become so extensive that pretty much every character has been paired off with every other character, and I definitely know there's a good chunk of Lily/Snape shippers out there. So maybe because I'd "seen it already," it didn't seem quite so revelatory.

Also, someone got me with a spoiler they'd posted on Stereogum. WHO POSTS SPOILERS ON STEREOGUM??!?

Anyway, what I was originally going to post about: You'd think with the series over, all the bullshit from the crazy-ass Harry/Hermione and Harry/Luna and Harry/Anybody-Other-Than-Ginny-'Cause-She's-A-Slut would have stopped, but no. Some super sour lady who thinks that, because Harry ended up with Ginny, the entire series is "sloppily written" (not true; parts could have been better, yes, but that doesn't mean the whole thing is sloppy) is now forbidding her kids to finish reading the series:

...I just don't know how many hard core Potter fans there will be. We don't know if these books will stand the test of time or not. I think when people will be able to read them all straight through, a lot of the interest will be lost, especially since so much in them either looks like a mistake or is at best confusing. The anticipation and the speculation is what fueled this series for us as I see it.

I read but did not buy DH. My two oldest kids quit reading these books after OotP. I will make every effort to see that youngest girl does not read either HBP or DH, and I have one child who will not be reading DH if I have anything to say about it. That shouldn't be too hard...they don't care much anymore anyway. As much a part of my life as they have been, I certainly would NOT give these books to anyone in the future. I still think they're sloppily written in retrospect, but that's just me.

OY. Give it a rest, already.
  • What a crazy bitch. To discourage children from reading because you don't agree with a ship? Fuckwit.

Personally, when I was in the HP fandom, I shipped Lucius/James just because I could. Seriously though, the HP Fandom was quite traumatising and full of brown nosers. I couldn't stand the BNFs and the fangirling of girls who wrote shitty fanfics. It got so nauseating after a while. I swear, if I ever meet Cassandra Claire...

Anyway, yeah JK isn't the worlds greatest writer and there were parts of every book that made me sidetrack (I hated book 6 for the record, three quarters of it was just BS and a huge chunk of book 7 just dragged teh fuck on) but shit, let your kids read it, assfucks. We live in a time where most kids can't tell the fucking difference between your and you're and there, their and they're and if letting your kids read Harry Potter helps increase their literacy and love for books just damn well let them.
  • QUOTE (God @ Sep 3 2007, 10:57 PM)
    What a crazy bitch. To discourage children from reading because you don't agree with a ship? Fuckwit.

Personally, when I was in the HP fandom, I shipped Lucius/James just because I could. Seriously though, the HP Fandom was quite traumatising and full of brown nosers. I couldn't stand the BNFs and the fangirling of girls who wrote shitty fanfics. It got so nauseating after a while. I swear, if I ever meet Cassandra Claire...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, you deserve Peanut Butter M&Ms for those sentences ALONE. My buddy Abbie used to be big in the fandom - her screenname is Sternel in most places. She actually at one point went to a party with Cassandra Claire, and now feels much the way you do. Don't get her started on HP Fandom.

There was one big theory in fandom that EVERYONE loved that I just couldn't stand. It turned out to be true. Do you see me screaming and yelling that it was awful? No, because I felt like she justified it well enough. Still annoys the piss out of me, but whatever.

And Ginny's no slut.

/Molly Weasley.
  • I love Molly so hard and Book 7 only made me love her harder.

And fuck yeah, BNFs in the HP fandom, ugh. Uncool. So uncool.
  • QUOTE (God @ Sep 4 2007, 11:26 PM)
    I love Molly so hard and Book 7 only made me love her harder.

And fuck yeah, BNFs in the HP fandom, ugh. Uncool. So uncool.

I'd like you to meet my dog - Ginny Weasley.

Actually, that's an ANCIENT picture, but she's not nearly as red anymore, and for real how cute was my little baby? She's still very cute and darling though. For the record, we have a cat named Luna as well. But that's not just an HP ref, it's also a Sailor Moon reference. Because we're THAT nerdy.

What are BNFs? I don't recognize the abbreviation.
  • BNFs means "Big Name Fans" they're generally the ones that are regarded as the ringleaders of the most well known/popular people in the fandom. So in HP it was Cassandra Claire (Leader), then there was Ivy Blossom, Aja, and a bunch of others that I've all forgotten (apparently the inner circle of BNFs in the HP fandom had a big falling out over plagiarism after I left the fandom so it's probably wrong now but yeah).

There are essentially BNFs in most fandoms (I can't really name them in this fandom 'cause this fandom is a lot nicer and less cliquey than most I've encountered) but the HP really was the worst. It was like High School and everyone wanted to be their friend.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1XIm6q4r4

voldermon, voldermont, OH, voldy-voldermont! YEAH!
  • QUOTE (Felster @ Sep 6 2007, 09:42 PM)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1XIm6q4r4

Oh my gosh, This is halarious i like couldn't stop laughing and isent it to like everyone i know!
  • QUOTE (AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken @ Sep 6 2007, 09:46 PM)
    Oh my gosh, This is halarious i like couldn't stop laughing and isent it to like everyone i know!

haha for more potter puppet pals just youtube them or go here http://www.potterpuppetpals.com

the site includes this which is quite mindblowing: http://www.potterpuppetpals.com/sexy.swf
  • I have a question, anybody know why Dumbledore took his shirt off? lol, I think harry might be on crack haha.
  • QUOTE (God @ Sep 4 2007, 04:57 AM)
    I swear, if I ever meet Cassandra Claire...

Anyway, yeah JK isn't the worlds greatest writer and there were parts of every book that made me sidetrack (I hated book 6 for the record, three quarters of it was just BS and a huge chunk of book 7 just dragged teh fuck on) but shit, let your kids read it, assfucks. We live in a time where most kids can't tell the fucking difference between your and you're and there, their and they're and if letting your kids read Harry Potter helps increase their literacy and love for books just damn well let them.

I read about two paragraphs of Cassandra Claire's whatever-it-is she wrote, and thought, "This is crap." 99% of fan fic is crap. I don't know why people force it upon others. I've read a few stories that were good for laughs, but I've only ever read one that was any good.

And yeah, JKR isn't the greatest, and there were parts that weren't so great, but that's to be expected from any writer, especially when your work is as scrutinized as hers was. (Book 6 was mainly set-up, honestly, and yeah, book 7 was a lot of filler. Which isn't to say neither had their good points. They were mixed.) But yeah, fuckwits. *shakes head*

QUOTE (God @ Sep 5 2007, 05:26 AM)
    I love Molly so hard and Book 7 only made me love her harder.

Hee.
  • ^^^^

That made my whole effing day. biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (Felster @ Sep 7 2007, 01:42 AM)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1XIm6q4r4

I feel no shame in saying that is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Before the last book came out, I was looking through all the old Potter Puppet Pals videos and stumbled across this. I'm pretty sure the bf and i sang it for weeks. He preferred the Snape portions and I sang the Ron Weasley portions.

Ron, ron, ron WEASLEY
  • Oooh, they've just announced that Jim Broadbent is going to play Slughorn in the next movie!
  • I hate this part of the year because it's when the image I had of the character in my head starts to die.

I'm clinging to my own image of Bellatrix in my head 'cause I fucking hate that Bonham-Carter woman and she just did not do that character justice.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Sep 15 2007, 11:52 PM)

Hee.

Ah-ha-ha. This is so true, love it.