In this Discussion

British/American Translations

edited November -1 in General Discussion
Alice came up with this- what an awesome idea!

let's see...I'm gonna try to transcribe what John Oliver was saying...oof, I love it so much I'm gonna record it...
well, in the meantime:
American- candy
British- sweets
thx, Kay! smile.gif

Comments

• I want sticky toffee pudding! do you Brits know what that is?
  • yo...if you guys call "english muffins" muffins, what do you call regular muffins?

^english muffins...

^muffin muffins...
  • ^^^ Good question.

Plain cupcakes?
  • QUOTE (Felster @ Jul 19 2007, 04:51 PM)
    yo...if you guys call "english muffins" muffins, what do you call regular muffins?

in america? or england?
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Jul 19 2007, 10:37 PM)
    I want sticky toffee pudding! do you Brits know what that is?

Of course we do!!! We're not that prehistoric lol. I love sticky toffee pudding, but it's a little suicidal for a diabetic...

QUOTE (Felster @ Jul 19 2007, 10:51 PM)
    yo...if you guys call "english muffins" muffins, what do you call regular muffins?

We had this conversation before, with Andy, remember?? And we didn't know. We don't really have english muffins here.. (I know, that seems so dumb, doesn't it?) we just have normal muffins as far as I know. Actually I might have seen regular muffins labeled as American Muffins, but I may have just made that up... rolleyes.gif

Right, the translations I can think of right now:

British / American

Pavement / Sidewalk
    Lift / Elevator
    Bonnet (of a car) / Hood (of a car)
    Boot (of a car) / Trunk (of a car)
    Motorway / Freeway

I can't remember any more at the moment...
  • Crisps / Chips (if I'm correct)
    Chips / Fries
  • ^^ Ooooh yeah, good one!

Also -
    Fish Fingers / Fish Sticks

Edit - I just saw your little sub-title thing to this thread - awww, Sally! wub.gif You're so sweet (candyish? lol)
  • oo! Funny story about that chips one- my friend went to the UK for vacation and ordered chips and got fries instead and was all confused...actually, that's not all that funny...well, it was in the telling, hehehe.
    apartment / flat

football / soccer

bloody / um...damn?...That must totally be made up on tv, but just thought I'd add it

blimey/ um...gosh!...That must totally be made up on tv, but just thought I'd add it too

jolly / very....see above

oh!! arse! also probly made up, I think

and spot of tea....I think I got all of these from John Oliver making fun of American's stereotypes on The Daily Show...

oh! I thought of a real one!
    petrol / gas
    post / mail
    rubber / eraser
    barrister / lawyer
    biscuit / cookie
    jam / jelly though we sometimes uses jam too...I forget when
    film / movie we say film when talking about old ones, I think

Oh! This one my friend told me. I don't know if I should believe her.
    Pants / underwear
    so that
    trousers / pants

lol! you're more candyish, Alice smile.gif
  • Hahahaha!

Bloody and arse are both used regularly here (arse is just ass in American. We also say 'arsehole'). NO ONE except Ron Weasley and my friend Jack ever say blimey. Lol. But it's a very english thing to say. I dunno what Americans say instead of bloody.... I guess it's like a dumbed down version of 'fucking' as an adjective.
  • hi biggrin.gif speaking about pastry, I was reading Gormenghast and every now and then someone says something about scones....could anyone tell me how do you say "scones" in the US? Is it "scones" too? and what type of pastry is a scone exactly?

Rosa
  • oops, you aren't speaking about muffins any more...my bad..."bloody" translates to "freaking" I think ....(I'm stepping on very thin ice as I don't speak either american nor english english...I think) laugh.gif
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Jul 19 2007, 11:39 PM)
    barrister / lawyer
    Pants / underwear
    so that
    trousers / pants

lol! you're more candyish, Alice smile.gif

Oh yeah - isn't barrister something like prostitute in the states? I can't remember exactly but there's something like that, right? And we use lawyer as well.

Yep that's right. Pants means underwear here (so when I get all squealy about Damian's red pants, my friends think I've been doing something naughty and stalkerish lol).

smile.gif
  • Bippie / hoodie

QUOTE (Surfer Rosa @ Jul 19 2007, 06:48 PM)
    hi biggrin.gif speaking about pastry, I was reading Gormenghast and every now and then someone says something about scones....could anyone tell me how do you say "scones" in the US? Is it "scones" too? and what type of pastry is a scone exactly?

Rosa

Scones =
  • HAHAHA!!! I love that red pants story! You know what would be awesome? If during a UK concert, Damian started talking about his red pants during banter time. biggrin.gif

That's so funny that only a Harry Potter character and your friend actually say blimey!

Prostitute? Hm, I've never heard that one. Whore, lady of the night...hehe....

Rosa, scones...you mean the originally Irish pastry? If that's what you mean, then yeah, still scones.
  • Aha thanks biggrin.gif now I'm sure I've never had one of those...
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Jul 19 2007, 11:58 PM)
    Bippie / hoodie

I have NEVER heard of bippie in my life. I was under the impression that we said hoodie too... blink.gif

Also, Sally - when Damian says pants over here, it's not so bad tongue.gif Most Brits understand most American words, pants being one of them. There're so many American movies and tv shows that we're used to it all. It's just that it doesn't register coming from someone in an English accent lol.
  • hey I remember one

knickers/panties

someone once told me she threw a pair of knickers at a concert and it made me wonder why on earth will she throw shoes (it sounded like "sneakers" to me LOL ) at a singer...
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Jul 19 2007, 07:06 PM)
    I have NEVER heard of bippie in my life. I was under the impression that we said hoodie too... blink.gif

Really? Hm. I guess Graham Norton is a liar.
  • hmm... Bippie / hoodie ...nope, I'll have to look both of them at the urbandictionary...
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Jul 19 2007, 07:06 PM)
    Also, Sally - when Damian says pants over here, it's not so bad tongue.gif Most Brits understand most American words, pants being one of them. There're so many American movies and tv shows that we're used to it all. It's just that it doesn't register coming from someone in an English accent lol.

aaaaw! that stinks!
    And I had a whole comedy sketch in my head where someone would go to a British store and say, "Excuse me, where are the ladies' pants?" And then boom! hilarity ensues. And ooo! It would be men's pants because the person would be George Bush! ooo! And it would be even funnier than his "fool me once" comment! And the salesperson would be Mrs. Slokum! ooo! And it would be a movie starring Steve Carrel! And it would go down in cinematic history.
    aw, now that's sad.