In this Discussion

British/American Translations

Comments

• Lol, yeah, I understand "bra." And "we're not from nowhere." LOL.
    What were they saying about superfans? I always though Henrietta was about someone obsessed, since she follows them around.
    I think I can understand if they speak really slowly, like when they're thinking about their words- it's when they become conversational that I can't catch the words.
  • i think they talked about someone stalking them or something, but honestly, that's in the description, not me understanding each and every word they're saying...so... i dunno... i am glad that OK Go don't have a scottish accent, what would we do? we couldn't talk to them....or, well...understand them.
  • QUOTE (mayonaise @ Dec 7 2007, 06:53 PM)
    i think they talked about someone stalking them or something, but honestly, that's in the description, not me understanding each and every word they're saying...so... i dunno... i am glad that OK Go don't have a scottish accent, what would we do? we couldn't talk to them....or, well...understand them.

hahahahaha! yes! And then we wouldn't have the hilarity of Damian trying to speak accents in whatever country they're in.
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Jul 29 2007, 03:15 PM)
    "Sounds like a great idea, gov'nor. How bout slappin' on a whistle and flute, headin' up the apples and pears and havin' a go at the old dog and bone, ding-dong?"

Sounds like a great idea. How about putting on a suit, going up the stairs and going on the phone?"

Ad yes- have a go means try.

And Sally - twee means small and cute, i dunno how else i can help you atm lol. I'l watch teh vids when im sober and help then, lol.
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Dec 7 2007, 07:35 PM)
    Sounds like a great idea. How about putting on a suit, going up the stairs and going on the phone?"

Ad yes- have a go means try.

And Sally - twee means small and cute, i dunno how else i can help you atm lol. I'l watch teh vids when im sober and help then, lol.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! that's what he said?! That's awesome! I would never have imaged that's what he was saying! Thank you so much, Alice!

And that's what twee means?! That's soooo sweet! It sounds like the highest compliment a girl can get. It's so adorably affectionate! Thank you again, Alice! You're the best!

You don't have to go thru any trouble tho- you're so nice!
  • Haha aww Sally, it's fine! The dog 'n' bone, whistle 'n' flute thing is Cockney Rhyming slang - I dunno if you've heard of it, but it's this old-London way of talking, I think it was invented so that the upper classes couldn't understand what the working classes were saying. The second word in each one rhymes with what it means, and the first word is associated with the second, if that makes any sense.

So apples + pears = stairs
    Dog + bone = phone
    Whistle + flute = suit
    Loaf of bread = head
    etc.

And then when you use it, you only use the first word - so "Use your loaf" is a common phrase meaning "use your head" i.e. "think", see? Lol it's ridiculous...

OK, I'm watching the video now.. haha I can see why you're having difficulty. I'll just type out everything, I reckon it's the easiest thing to do, lol. And just in case you don't know, "aye" is Scottish for "yes".

Interviewer: Hi, it's nice to meet you. I'm just gonna start by asking about your current tour coz I know it's been quite hectic, so how's it all going?
    Fratellis: Aye, it's been lovely.
    I: there's been a lot of London gigs.. have thee crowds been receptive?
    F: Aye, it's been nuts! They throw things at us sometimes... And not knickers [women's underwear], it's only plastic cups.
    Fratellis guy 2: Times are changing, man.
    Fratellis guy 3: I got hit by a cake once.
    F2: Aye, so you did!
    F3: No, it was an onion bhaji!
    F2: There was loads of crumbs all over the place, I dunno where that came from! An onion bhaji...
    I: OK, well, Henrietta, your new single, is out tomorrow, and it's been getting a lot of good reviews, Radio 1's been talking about it...
    F1: It should, it's good.
    F2: Aye, but it's still a shock, man.
    I: What're your hopes for the single? Coz you had Creeping Up The Back Stairs, did that chart?
    F1: It was never meant to, it was just an EP. It was limited edition so it wasn't meant to go anywhere. It just took off a bit. We done it by mistake.
    F3: Apparently with the figures, it would've charted.
    F1: Would it? That's pretty good then.
    I: Do you know how many downloads it's had?
    F2: Alot.
    F3: And Henrietta's doing really well which is nice.
    I: There's been many people saying that this year's gonna be your year in terms of making it big.
    F1: Everyone knows this as the Arctic Monkeys' year
    I: Well there has been some comparisons between you and the Arctic Monkeys, the Libertines and Supergrass.
    F2: We say this every year, man. Like a couple of years ago I was like "This is our year, man". You know, so...
    F1: Maybe you don't just get a year. You get a few..
    F2: Aye.
    I: But do you think this is really your year to assault the music scene?
    F2: I dunno. It depends on if they wanna be assaulted or not.
    F1: Assault's a bit strong... Yeah but we're good, we thought we deserved it but you know.. But we haven't done anything yet! It's a bit silly, we haven't really released anything...
    F2: Maybe there's more folk and it's their year, like, just a wee minute before it's our year.
    F1: Maybe you only get a year for like, a month or so. Maybe a year lasts a few weeks.
    I: You played South-by-Southwest a few weeks ago, world's biggest festival and a lot of people were saying you were the ones to watch.. how was that experience and principally how was the bottle of Bailey's and how were you after the bottle of Bailey's the night after the Ireland gig?
    F1: Bottle of Bailey's?
    F2: Remember John and his bottle of Bailey's...
    F1: *mumbling about drinking Bailey's, can't quite hear it, sorry!*
    F2: South-by-Southwest was really busy for us, man, we didn't get to see any bands really, and we had a few gigs and..
    F1: And we were running around, running down the streets with all our gear and we got our publisher to help us, and we were all running in sort of Monkees style.. and then we got there and there was like 12 people. We got there and kind of burst through the door and there was nobody there. Kind of annoying.
    F2: But we still did it, man!
    F1: We played for 15 minutes.
    I: OK, summer festivals, you're playing T in the Park and the main UK festivals... I just want to know what you're looking forward to...
    F2: Aye, totally.
    F3: It's gonna be a big one. As long as we finish in plenty of time to see The Who.
    *muttering that I can't hear, let alone understand, haha*
    I: Album releases - any dates set or are you waiting for the festivals to run its course?
    F1: It's all finished like. We finished it and we got nobody to sell it to so its kind of pointless. It's good though. You'll like it, I think.
    I: Yeah, I like a lot of the songs that're available at the moment so...
    F1: Those songs probably aren't the best though. We're gonna put a limited edition CD out and give you the better songs.
    I: We'll hear the best stuff at the festivals then?
    F2: We'll play it, yeah, but it's all on the CD.
    I: The internet and music is really what I'm gonna come on to now. I just want to know how important you consider the internet to be in reaching your fanbase and building the fanbase.
    F2: We did a webcast and it was a bit of a disaster really... We stopped in the middle of our song, remember? We bollocksed it up.
    F1: We're not meant to say we bollocksed it up, we're meant to be going "they're great!"
    I: But the internet and building your fanbase...
    F3: I'm all for it.
    F2: I dunno, it's broken. It doesn't work for me. Computers never work for me.
    F3: You're speaking to a couple of technophobes here.
    F2: I look at Barry's laptop, man, for the website and there's that many people on it that it's hard to keep tabs on them.
    F1: And they come up to you and say "Hi I'm on the website!" and they're really happy that they've had their name checked.. And there's one guy who's taken to following us around. We've got a stalker.
    I: A stalker?
    F1: Aye, he follows us around Britain.
    F2: I haven't seen him.
    F1: He's nice, he always wants to swap something with me...Like boxers or a tshirt. He's nice enough though.
    F2: He's harmless.
    I: And I just want to know what your highlight's been so far then and what're you looking forward to...?
    F1: I liked the first gig that was sold out in Glasgow. Like no one knew who we were and then all of a sudden we were sold out.
    *more mumbling that I can't hear...*
    F3: I'm looking forward to the festivals.
    I: OK, thanks guys!

There, hope that helps, my lovelies! Sorry about the bits that I couldn't hear, I've got the volume right up and my sister screaming at me so it's not totally clear...

Oh, and by the way - "wee" means small (like twee, lol), and "bollocksed" means "fucked" (as in, "we fucked it up").

AND finally - a shite bar is a shit bar. Shite means shit.
    And I'm not sure about a blagger... blagging is sort of like conning... like "I blagged my way backstage" would be "I managed to make up a load of crap to persuade someone to let me go backstage" so a blagger could be someone who does that.

And Sally - if you want to send me something of John Oliver's, I could translate for you, if you like!

• ALICE! ALICE! ALICE!
    Thank you! I mean, "thank you" just doesn't cover it- you're amazing!
    I absolutely loved every bit of this. You helped enormously; I have to confess that in all you wrote, the only words I had caught while listening myself were "mistake," "year" and "Arctic Monkeys." But seeing their expressions and laughter- I was dying to know what they were saying.
    And, oooh, it's rich. Almost every sentence you wrote had me laughing- I still am!
    They're hilarious! I am so grateful to you, Alice!
    And I am defly going to start using the word "bollocksed" as often as I possibly can.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

PS- You're so sweet to offer about John Oliver! But I understand him because his accent is-I don't know how to describe accent differences...he speaks classically? So the only times I have no idea what he's saying are when he's intentionally showing off and speaking slang, as he was with that "apples and pears" comment.

Thx to you, I feel so enlightened now about cockney slang! That's really neat about the rhyming; it's like a secret code.

Hugs!!!
  • Haha, it's fine my dear! I only did it coz I love you smile.gif
    Plus I think it's so funny to be translating English to English speakers. Scottish accents are pretty weird, admittedly. And i know what you mean about "classical" British accent - that's what I've got too.

Oh, and I've done the 3rd interview that you posted initially (the exclusive interview for LOTW one) coz it's pretty funny smile.gif

Jon: Hi, we're the Fratelllis. Yeah.
    Barry: This is Jon *points*
    Jon: Yeah, this is Jon, and I'm pretty sure he's Baz. And.. I dunno who he is *points at drummer*. We're looking forward to the gig tonight in Birmingham...
    Drummer: It's gonna be good
    Jon: Because Birmingham seem to like us. I think meeting Baz on telly was the greatest moment of my life.
    Barry: Well I did turn your life a bit, let's face it.
    Jon: You did. Pointed me in the right direction.
    Barry: Told you which shoes to wear.
    Jon: Yeah. Off you go now.

Jon: We've basically just been on tour since like March and just.. trying to get bigger.
    Drummer: Aye, we've done loads of gigs...
    Jon: Because we can. And generally annoying people. Everybody hates Chelsea Dagger. Yeah. I'm gonna sell it.
    Drummer: It's all about getting the sound right onstage and then... they'll just be as crazy as they usually are, I suppose.
    Jon: Aye they'll kill each other and have a good time doing it. I'm looking forward to rocking out, rocking out, yeah
    Barry: Just hopefully we won't be the ones to watch, we'll be the one that everybody knows about and...
    Drummer: And then we can make our new album.
    Jon: That's the plan, we've been watched.

There you go, lovely!

I just realised - I saw The Fratellis live, and they never said a word. I didn't know they were Scottish, even, until I read this thread!

• QUOTE (tonetoile @ Jul 23 2007, 10:17 AM)
    I loved Animorphs so much. I never finished the series (I outgrew it somewhere around #35 I guess), but I loved it. I was actually talking to my friend about the TV series (which I never really watched because I didn't have cable... though I remember going over to my uncle's house to watch a couple of episodes). Our conversation went a little something like this:
    Me: "Do you remember Animorphs?"
    Friend: "Yeah! I used to watch the TV series. Everyone liked Jake but I thought Tobias was hot."
    Me: "... but he was a hawk for every episode except the first."
    Friend: "Yeah, but he was HOT that first episode!"

Are you kidding? how did I miss this? sorry to get off topic, but
    my brother and I own all 57 of the books in the Animorphs series. plus the Andalite Chronicles and the Hork-Bajir Chronicles and basically every other Animorph-related book available.
    We couldn't watch the series cause we didn't have cable back then, but I've watched them online fairly recently.
    I still love everything about The Animorphs.
    Tobias was my favorite, as well. I named my pet hamster Toby after him.
    I loved Jake too, though... and Cassie, and Rachel, and Marcos, and Ax...
    and it totally wasn't Tobias' fault that he got stuck in the Yeerk-pool caverns for more than two hours and couldn't morph back for fear of being discovered!!!
    okay I'm done.

back to britishisms?

my friends always make fun of me when I say something even vaguely British. I'm not sure why, but I don't mind.
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Dec 8 2007, 01:52 PM)
    Haha aww Sally, it's fine! The dog 'n' bone, whistle 'n' flute thing is Cockney Rhyming slang - I dunno if you've heard of it, but it's this old-London way of talking, I think it was invented so that the upper classes couldn't understand what the working classes were saying. The second word in each one rhymes with what it means, and the first word is associated with the second, if that makes any sense.

So apples + pears = stairs
    Dog + bone = phone
    Whistle + flute = suit
    Loaf of bread = head
    etc.

It's no wonder the British are such good songwriters!
  • Aliiiiiice!
    Many huggies and kissies to you! You're so wonderful! I appreciate this so much. I mean,
    Barry: Well I did turn your life a bit, let's face it.
    Jon: You did. Pointed me in the right direction.
    Barry: Told you which shoes to wear.
    Jon: Yeah. Off you go now.

That's priceless!

And this, "And generally annoying people. Everybody hates Chelsea Dagger. Yeah. I'm gonna sell it" makes me smile open-mouthed.

Thank you ever ever ever ever so much! You're the absolute best!

And you saw them! You're so lucky!
  • ^^ Haha, I know, those bits made me laugh too!

They weren't even that good, when I saw them... It was at V festival, though, and during the day, so the atmosphere isn't as good then, generally, which might have been the reason. They just seemed a bit quiet and lost on that huge stage. I'd love to see them again, at a smaller venue, though.
  • do you have any idea how confusing this thread is for those who barely know how to speak english, like me??tongue.gif why can't you all use the same word for the same thing and believe me, it would spare some trouble for those of us who are trying to learn to speak english tongue.gif
  • QUOTE (mayonaise @ Dec 7 2007, 10:05 PM)
    oh ...i love it when they talk, too... even though i think i can understand them a lot better that... the maccabees (or maybe it was just this one video...? ) and they are from Brighton...

Basically i can't really add something here, as i am neither British nor American and my English is mixed i guess (from reading British books and watching American Shows...haha)

and how incredibly confused do you get when people ask you what is your accent supposed to have?

I've always had a tendency to go for the American accent because you can "eat" words more easily...and i do that a lot even in my monther language wink.gif
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Dec 7 2007, 01:50 PM)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=utdKetKoaak

Scottish accents are so sexy!!

Scottish accents are my favorite. I'm getting better at understanding them because I've watched a bunch of Travis interviews, but I specifically remember watching that interview^^ a couple of months ago and not being able to understand anything.
  • I thought I'd add, since we're talking about different accents, that there are also lots of American accents- and I'm just wondering if it's hard for you to understand some of ours?

The Bostonian accent, for one, can be tough to understand. I had a TA last year who was from, I dunno, I think CN or something, and this kid kept asking for a "markah" and she started at him blankly for a few seconds and suddenly handed him a marker.
    And just yesterday there were a group of 13 year old boys at the T, and they were talking about "shin gahds" and I thought, "well, our accent isn't dying out."
    But I heard our accent evolved from the British, so I'm thinking you could understand us, Alice. But what about New York accents? And the stressed o's of Rhode Islanders...But most of all, Texas and the deep south?

PS: I myself do not speak with a Bostonian accent, except for sometimes.
  • So far, I've never heard an American accent that was too strong for me to understand. If you find any videos of really strong accents that you think would be difficult, show me and I'll see! The only difficulty I've had so far has been George W Bush's pronunciation of "terrorists". It sounds worryingly like "tourists", and as a member of the latter group I tend to get a little nervous about how welcome I'll be in the US when I hear his speeches.... lol!

Actually, have you got any videos of a Bostonian accent? I'm not sure if I've heard it...
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Dec 11 2007, 02:08 PM)
    Actually, have you got any videos of a Bostonian accent? I'm not sure if I've heard it...

Go watch Good Will Hunting, and that will give you a good start.
  • Here we go smile.gif
    This is how we sound:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=RbK4cL3QSc0

some more:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=kMl_VN3ISNY&feature=related
    I like that one cuz he says Wostah (Worcester), Andy's hometown

From a travel guide site:
    Bostonian speak.... Bet we know some things you don't know. Like, what's a three decka? A packie? How about a rotary? Ever banged a U-ey? Worn dungarees or ordered a frappe? We'd have a pissah time tryin' to stump ya, then make fun of ya behind ya back . . . but that's wicked mean. Instead, here's a little primer to take with you on the T, or while you're on the Common or in the Gahden: > American Chop Suey ~ This delightful dish doesn't resemble anything American or Chinese. It's macaroni with meat and tomato sauce. > Bangin' a U-ey ~ This is what you do while driving after you miss a turn and you have to turn around. > Book it ~ To high tail it someplace, as in, "I better book it to the packie before it closes." > Bubblah~ Spelled bubbler, it's a water fountain. > Down Cellar ~ The basement. Derived from upstairs. > Dungarees ~ Jeans. Hardly heard anymore, unless you're at some sort of senior citizens event. > Frappe ~ What the rest of the nation calls a milkshake. But in Boston, a milkshake is just flavored milk; no ice cream allowed. > Fried and Bizarre ~ Weird. "That dude is wicked fried." "Yah, he's totally bizaah." > Hermits ~ Cookies. A hermit is a molasses and raisin bar. > Jimmies ~ Sprinkles you put on ice cream. > Packie ~ Liquor Store. > Pissah ~ Good. > Rotary ~ traffic circle. And in Massachusetts, those in the rotary have the right of way. > Scrod ~ a generic name for white fish. We think it's cod, but no one's sure. Usually breaded and laden with butter (or buttah, as we say). > Three Decker ~ Pronounced three decka, it's a three story house in which each story is a separate apartment. > Tonic ~ Soda. > Wicked ~ Extremely. "Nomaaah's a wicked good baseball playa." > Other tips: Don't say COPEly Square, it's COPley. Worcester isn't WOOster, it's Wisstah. And Faneuil Hall rhymes with "annual ball". Say Commonwealth Avenue, Massachusetts Avenue or Dorchester Avenue and you'll get pinched. It's Comm. Ave, Mass. Ave and Dot. Ave.

Random stuff:
    enna = jenner
    heart= haht
    car= cah
    park-pahk
    mother=muthah
    father=fathuh

hahaha, more googling brought this:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~lnkn/accent.htm
    You can hear it there in .wav.

some comments on that: we actually do say "retarded" a lot. Somebody I know came to visit and he said he couldn't find the parking lot at the airport and he asked the airport ppl and they said, "are you retahded?" It's not meant to be offensive to disabled ppl, which is what I'm afraid outsiders will think. We just say it b/c...I don't know, it's ingrained in our speech.

We do say "wicked," but I think everybody in the US does now anyhow, to some extent. I had a friend from Ohio who used to say it. So I think we have a bad rep for that.

And Roxbury is the ghetto- ppl get shot there um, a lot. Actually, it's really sad. It seems like every week I read in the paper about another incident. Which is not to say we're a dangerous city, b/c we aren't. I disagree with this site on the compound.

Also, I think, in reading some stuff, ppl are too quick to say the accent is heaviest among older ppl, just b/c every time I believe that, I start talking to someone my age or younger who has a heavy one. But, I would say that if your parents have a heavy one, you probly will too. At my hs, the heaviest accents came from the cheerleader -types. That was a totally pointless observation, right there.

That was waaaay too much information than you wanted to know. Sorry.
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Dec 11 2007, 02:33 PM)
    Scrod ~ a generic name for white fish. We think it's cod, but no one's sure. Usually breaded and laden with butter (or buttah, as we say).

This Bostonian businessman gets out of the airport, gets into a taxi. The cabbie says "Where to, pal?" The businessman said "Wherever I can get good scrod." The cabbie thinks for a second, and finally says "You know, Mr., I've had a lot of people ask me that question before. But never in the pluperfect subjunctive."

<rimshot>