In this Discussion

British/American Translations

167891012»

Comments

• youre all taking the piss
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Jan 1 2009, 05:23 PM)
    you mean english..english, we invented it!

its ours!

ha ha, yeah, i know
    but if i just said i love english,
    that wouldn't make any sense now would it?
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Jan 1 2009, 09:04 PM)
    whats the american vriw on snooker?

Do you mean pool?
  • no, i mean snooker, completely diffrent game
  • I have only heard the word on The Bugle, tbh. Adam said it was like Pool. Clearly he is misinformed.
  • it is like pool in that theres tables and balls and sticks. but snookers go different types of balls no? and maybe like bumpers, i dont remember. all i remember is playing snooker on my dads old macintosh LC575. good times, good times
  • Snooker's far more intense than pool.
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Jan 3 2009, 11:49 PM)
    Snooker's far more intense than pool.

yes this!
  • but... snooker sounds like a booger
  • depends how you prounice it joe, snooooooookger

sounds bad but

SNOOKER!!!!!
    is like an intence train ride, to the station of Blues going into the middle pocket
  • i feel very ignorant
    i've never even heard of snooker
    i guess you really do learn something new each day
  • QUOTE (heydoofball @ Jan 3 2009, 09:38 PM)
    i guess you really do learn something new each day

Like the fact that, in the song "The 12 Days of Christmas," Day Four's gift isn't "four calling birds" but "for colly birds." "Colly" was an older English word for "black," hence "four blackbirds."

biggrin.gif
  • what is a "pot-holer"? what is a "curb crawler"? I assume curb crawling is something naughty but seeing as I heard it on a Britcom, the joke completely went over my head.
  • Curb-crawlers are creepy men who drive slowly down the road (near the curb, i.e. edge of the sidewalk/what we call pavement) searching for prostitutes. But curb-crawlers often aren't looking for prostitutes necessarily, they just see a girl walking down the road and slow down loads so they can jeer out the window at you. Eurgh. I hate it.

A pot-holer is someone who explores caves, isn't it? I'm pretty sure that pot-holing is cave exploration....