In this Discussion

British/American Translations

Comments

• QUOTE (DJRose @ Dec 25 2007, 05:24 PM)
    Sally, your new Damian animation totally has me thinking "It's Business... It's Business Time!"

They call me the rhymenocerous
    Not because I'm fat
    Not because I've got birds on my back
    Because I'm horny, I'M HORNY!!

Andy, lol, "a legend"- that's exactly what my friend called him. I've never heard of this guy, but having now watched all the youtube vids of him there are, he's quite the comedic genius. I'll ask a stupid question or two: is he still alive? The vids look a bit old. Is he still active?
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Dec 26 2007, 12:01 PM)
    They call me the rhymenocerous
    Not because I'm fat
    Not because I've got birds on my back
    Because I'm horny, I'M HORNY!!

Andy, lol, "a legend"- that's exactly what my friend called him. I've never heard of this guy, but having now watched all the youtube vids of him there are, he's quite the comedic genius. I'll ask a stupid question or two: is he still alive? The vids look a bit old. Is he still active?

They call me the hiphopotamus, my lyrics are bottomless...

laugh.gif

Eddie Izzard is still alive. He was doing a show on FX with Minnie Driver recently but I forget what it was called. It was a drama about a family of con artists who move into a dead man's house or something like that.
  • First off, Eddie Izzard is a fucking genius. Have you seen the clip where he does an entire show in french?? biggrin.gif
    The only problem is, he KNOWS he's amazing. So arrogant, but not in a good way. One of my friends once said I reminded him of Eddie Izzard... quite proud of that biggrin.gif

And Kay's right about how to use the word 'row'. But then again, you can also say "They've been rowing" or "I rowed with him". Although now I've said that it sounds weird, so that might be wrong :S
  • Eddie Izzard reminds me a bit of Craig Ferguson. They're both a bit zany (except Craig is quite zany) and they're both hillarious at acting out and describing things. Except Craig is Scottish and doesn't wear girlie make-up/dress like Elton John.
  • I haven't seen my favorite british insult yet!!

WANKER!!! The first time I heard that was on the tube...I died laughing;)

queue=line

post box= mail box

there are lots of little phrases I miss hearing...

brilliant

right

OY!
  • QUOTE (hungrylikethewolf @ Dec 28 2007, 08:10 PM)
    queue=line

post box= mail box

there are lots of little phrases I miss hearing...

brilliant

right

OY!

I think I've used every one of those in the past few days, except maybe "brilliant."
  • Upon listening to a lot of 'The Ricky Gervais Show' podcasts, I noticed these Britishisms -

crackin' onto each other - hitting on each other, I guess
    manc - not something nice you'd call someone
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Dec 29 2007, 01:37 AM)
    I think I've used every one of those in the past few days, except maybe "brilliant."

Sorry for my nosiness and you can totally ignore me, but I'm curious: where are you from?
    You've mentioned in your posts that you came to MA for college, spent a year in Paris, moved to NY and will be coming to MA next semester, right? You're well-traveled. For some reason, I thought you were originally from Florida.
    But none of those places mesh with British terms, so where are you from?

I apologize for my nosiness smile.gif
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Dec 29 2007, 08:07 PM)
    Sorry for my nosiness and you can totally ignore me, but I'm curious: where are you from?
    You've mentioned in your posts that you came to MA for college, spent a year in Paris, moved to NY and will be coming to MA next semester, right? You're well-traveled. For some reason, I thought you were originally from Florida.
    But none of those places mesh with British terms, so where are you from?

I apologize for my nosiness smile.gif

Haha, I'm actually from Jersey. I've lived here all my life, except for the 2 years spent in western Mass. at college, and the year I just spent in Paris. I go to NY frequently, though. (The NY thing that I had a little while ago as my location was actually a song reference.)

I just use British terms a lot because I've had a handful of close British friends and a roommate who's a bit of an anglophiliac, so I just picked them up readily. Also, I used to think I was a Spice Girl when I was 12, so...maybe it stems from that.

Funnily enough, I've never felt culture shock anything close to like what I felt in England. Isn't that weird?
  • QUOTE (LolaBert @ Dec 29 2007, 02:49 PM)
    Upon listening to a lot of 'The Ricky Gervais Show' podcasts, I noticed these Britishisms -

crackin' onto each other - hitting on each other, I guess
    manc - not something nice you'd call someone

manc is someone from manchester

although thats not a nice thing in off its self..
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Dec 31 2007, 09:43 AM)

LOOOOL!

I'm actually from Jersey

oooh! You're a Jersey girl! Rose too! Yay for the mid-Atlantic!!

Also, I used to think I was a Spice Girl when I was 12

That's so cute!!

• QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Jan 1 2008, 12:43 AM)

Haha, thanks for clearing that up for me! Wow, is my face red!!
    I always thought it was just a general insult because they never say nice things about Karl Pilkington and they called him a "bald headed manc with a head like a fucking orange". Poor Karl.

Okay, I have two more and maybe Alice or Andy (that's you right HFoC?) can correct me if I'm wrong.

(Going on a) bender - Crazy, wild, drunken times.
    Effin' and jeffin' about - not being serious about something
    leg it - run away really quickly
    happyslapped - mugged?
  • QUOTE (LolaBert @ Jan 1 2008, 03:45 AM)
    Haha, thanks for clearing that up for me! Wow, is my face red!!
    I always thought it was just a general insult because they never say nice things about Karl Pilkington and they called him a "bald headed manc with a head like a fucking orange". Poor Karl.

Okay, I have two more and maybe Alice or Andy (that's you right HFoC?) can correct me if I'm wrong.

(Going on a) bender - Crazy, wild, drunken times.
    Effin' and jeffin' about - not being serious about something
    leg it - run away really quickly
    happyslapped - mugged?

happy slapping, is what happends when you are slapped/hit/whatevered, and someone records it on there phone, and or puts it on the interweb
  • I have NEVER heard effin' and jeffin' about in my LIFE, lol! The rest are all right. We have a million and one ways of saying "getting drunk", haha...

Happy slapping is horrible. Way worse than mugging - some cases of happy slapping have lead to people's deaths, because a 'slap' turned into 'beating the shit out of a guy'. And it's all caught on someone's cell phone camera. It's vile. Kids used to do it at school sometimes.
  • Did someone say these already?:

bin = trash can
    tinned = canned
  • From a Flight of the Conchords interview on Fresh Air. J= Jemaine. B=Bret. T= Terri, the interviewer.

J: A girl wants to have a threesome, a menage a tois, with Bret and I, and it's based on a real story.
    B: A fan.
    J: We didn't. And it was very awkward and embarrassing and we've got a story that borrows from that
    B: It's unfortunate. Yeah. It was in England, where they call a threesome a "spit roast," which is a very British term that we weren't familiar with- are you familiar with that term?
    T: No
    B: It's a quite horrendous term. I think you can probably understand how it would transpire. This girl came up to Jemaine at this party and goes-
    J: "would you be interested in a spit roast?"
    B: and Jemaine thought she meant...
    J: I thought, I imagined a barbecue. And I said yeah. And she said, "would Bret be interested?"
    B: And at the time I was going thru a big steak phase, so I was really into eating meat. And so Jemaine said, "Bret would be REALLY into it!"
    J: "Definitely, definitely!" And she said "really?" "oh, definitely, definitely, Brett will love it"
    She said, "I wouldn't usually ask; I'm lesbian." And I was thinking, "why would that stop you from asking us to a barbecue?" And there was something awkward about the situation that made me figure out that wasn't what she was asking. And then I, as politely as I could, turned down the offer.
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Jan 1 2008, 10:45 PM)
    happy slapping, is what happends when you are slapped/hit/whatevered, and someone records it on there phone, and or puts it on the interweb

That is horrible. I remember reports of kids doing that at schools here. But I'd never heard the term used before. That's kinda scary, like something off 'A Clockwork Orange'.

QUOTE (Electra @ Jan 2 2008, 03:23 AM)
    I have NEVER heard effin' and jeffin' about in my LIFE, lol! The rest are all right. We have a million and one ways of saying "getting drunk", haha...

Hahaha! I've actually heard effin and jeffin used on the Mighty Boosh, but Bob Fossil said it and he's American, so I didn't know what to think.

QUOTE (Tabetha @ Jan 2 2008, 01:54 PM)
    From a Flight of the Conchords interview on Fresh Air. J= Jemaine. B=Bret. T= Terri, the interviewer.

J: A girl wants to have a threesome, a menage a tois, with Bret and I, and it's based on a real story.
    B: A fan.
    J: We didn't. And it was very awkward and embarrassing and we've got a story that borrows from that
    B: It's unfortunate. Yeah. It was in England, where they call a threesome a "spit roast," which is a very British term that we weren't familiar with- are you familiar with that term?
    T: No
    B: It's a quite horrendous term. I think you can probably understand how it would transpire. This girl came up to Jemaine at this party and goes-
    J: "would you be interested in a spit roast?"
    B: and Jemaine thought she meant...
    J: I thought, I imagined a barbecue. And I said yeah. And she said, "would Bret be interested?"
    B: And at the time I was going thru a big steak phase, so I was really into eating meat. And so Jemaine said, "Bret would be REALLY into it!"
    J: "Definitely, definitely!" And she said "really?" "oh, definitely, definitely, Brett will love it"
    She said, "I wouldn't usually ask; I'm lesbian." And I was thinking, "why would that stop you from asking us to a barbecue?" And there was something awkward about the situation that made me figure out that wasn't what she was asking. And then I, as politely as I could, turned down the offer.

HAHAHAHA. They are so much like what they are in the show aren't they?
  • My mum is on her way to visit UK for the first time. I wonder if she'll be able to comprehend all those cute British phrases. Her head might 'splode.

Anyway, here's a phrase I was wondering about. I was looking at a pub in London's website. It said, "There is no television or fruit machines and definitely no children; just good conversation, excellent food, fine wine and good ales."

Question: what is a fruit machine? Is it just what it sounds it should be?
    I've noticed that many restaurants in London do not want children coming in. You Brits are amazing.
  • Lol, a fruit machine is a slot machine (that's what you call it, isn't it?).

And erm.. a spit roast is actually a bit more specific than just a threesome. Not sure how I can explain it without being rather graphic... but basically a girl gives oral to one man, while another man has anal sex with her. At the same time.

Poor Bret and Jermaine! tongue.gif
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Jan 12 2008, 10:23 AM)
    And erm.. a spit roast is actually a bit more specific than just a threesome. Not sure how I can explain it without being rather graphic... but basically a girl gives oral to one man, while another man has anal sex with her. At the same time.

Poor Bret and Jermaine! tongue.gif

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! omg!

And yes, we say slot machine- fruit machine sounds delicious!