In this Discussion

British/American Translations

Comments

• QUOTE (CrashAndBurn @ Jul 25 2008, 10:44 AM)
    Certain word the Brits and Americans spell differently

The Brits = colour,cheque,modelling,empathise, favourite,encyclopaedia,centre....etc

American- color,check,modeling,empathize favorite,encyclopedia,center...etc

its so frustrating when I lose points just because of the spelling even though I tell them that's how I learnt to spell them

I agree. I mean, I'm American, but for about twelve years now, I've been spelling things the British way. It used to be because I thought it was cooler or something (I was 10, come on), and now it' just purely out of habit. But it was infinitely frustrating when a prof would circle "realise" on my paper when it's an accepted spelling. Get out your dictionary, please.

There's sceptic and aluminium, too. And kerb, which is the only word that I refuse to spell the British way because I think it's utterly ridiculous. I can't explain to you why I think "curb" isn't utterly ridiculous, but. That's the way it is.

QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Jul 25 2008, 09:15 AM)
    we all get over how funny fanny is, and the ice cream spotted dick when we are five

(hehehe spotted dick)

My mom bought spotted dick in can once. I'm not sure if we've eaten it yet, tho. :S
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Jul 25 2008, 09:15 AM)
    the ice cream spotted dick when we are five

(hehehe spotted dick)

lol, um, so what does that really mean in the UK? Is it a flavor?
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Jul 26 2008, 03:12 PM)

LOL! Thanks, and wow, there's more types of pudding than I thought.
    That looked delicious until I clicked on "suet" to find out what it is.
  • Puddings are super-popular, or were at least, in the UK. I know this because my mom is a food historian. Suet's not bad. Well. By itself, it is, in a pudding it's not.

She also just made steak and kidney stew, which was, um. Interesting.
  • Please settle a debate betwixt my boss and me:

Which is correct:

"Jason is located in office #1234"

or

"Jason is located in the office #1234".

Does the # make a difference in your answer?

My boss (who is not a native English speaker) is of the opinion that one of these is the correct British grammar, while I say there is no difference and her way is incorrect in either country (and is in fact indicative of a person who doesn't speak English well).
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Oct 7 2008, 06:19 PM)
    Please settle a debate betwixt my boss and me:

Which is correct:

"Jason is located in office #1234"

or

"Jason is located in the office #1234".

Does the # make a difference in your answer?

My boss (who is not a native English speaker) is of the opinion that one of these is the correct British grammar, while I say there is no difference and her way is incorrect in either country (and is in fact indicative of a person who doesn't speak English well).

I don't have an answer, as I am not British, lol, but, it reminds me of the way British ppl say "at hospital" and "at university" instead of "at the hospital" and "at a/the university."
  • you already know my veiw rache =p

it always confused me when americans say they will "write someone" rather then write TO somone

• Ok I only got to page 2 cos i got bored of readin...

Fanny (you guys take it to mean ass, we take it to mean 'front bottom' lol)

Also like every single item of clothing u call different to us... jumper, cardigan etc etc couldn't even explain it when someone is showing me first hand

Faucet - tap

Raaaah can't think of anything else right now

Also rose, jason is located in office wherever smile.gif

And Katy, aluminium and aluminum are completely different words but you americans are right... It was discovered by an american and he named it but it didn't fit with our way of naming things (you know, the 'ium') so we made it fit smile.gif

And what the hell, have I been missing something my whole life... spotted dick isnt ice cream it's sponge cake with raisins in it

Oh and we call 'english muffins' breakfast muffins

Sorry if all these things have already been said lol
  • what about people named fanny?
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Oct 7 2008, 06:46 PM)
    and "at a/the university."

On the other hand, we say "at college" the same way they say "at uni." It just happens that their general term happens to be "university" and we use "college."

I didn't actually realise this until a few days ago.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Oct 9 2008, 12:08 AM)
    On the other hand, we say "at college" the same way they say "at uni." It just happens that their general term happens to be "university" and we use "college."

whoah!!! you're right! I never thought about that! this puts things in a very different light
  • QUOTE (sweetness @ Oct 8 2008, 05:32 PM)
    what about people named fanny?

This has always been a very deep worrisome concern for our joe. laugh.gif
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Oct 9 2008, 05:08 AM)

But you have uni for post grad stuff... I don't know why you guys call them colleges because historically we would have had universities before you did, not sure why you didn't take the name??? And also our degrees are different, we just have a completely different system with the whole thing - I have a BSc in geography - its subject specific over here, we study one subject where as you kinda flit around with a few random things for yours. I have to say I do think your way is better, it means you aren't narrowed through choice - we have to decide at like 14 what subjects to take and how the hell does a 14 year old know what they want to do?!

Also remember reading something about lawyers and barristers.... they're different jobs here lol

And Joe, what's wrong with the name Fanny? Its a silly old name (actually know a french girl called Fanny lol)
  • QUOTE (The End Has No Jen @ Oct 9 2008, 07:14 AM)
    But you have uni for post grad stuff... I don't know why you guys call them colleges because historically we would have had universities before you did, not sure why you didn't take the name??? And also our degrees are different, we just have a completely different system with the whole thing - I have a BSc in geography - its subject specific over here, we study one subject where as you kinda flit around with a few random things for yours. I have to say I do think your way is better, it means you aren't narrowed through choice - we have to decide at like 14 what subjects to take and how the hell does a 14 year old know what they want to do?!

Also remember reading something about lawyers and barristers.... they're different jobs here lol

And Joe, what's wrong with the name Fanny? Its a silly old name (actually know a french girl called Fanny lol)

Well, actually uni doesn't really mean only postgrad here.
    It just means like a big collection of smaller colleges. For example, you go to Harvard University, and you're specifically enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences. You go to Boston University, and your school within it is the School of Engineering. etc. But nobody says "She goes to a university." What we say is "she goes to college," even though she's an undergrad at New York University or University of Southern California.

You could also go to a college that isn't part of a university, like if you went to Amherst College. These tend to be small, liberal arts schools with fewer departments than a what we call a university. And you could be either postgrad or undergrad at a college. Like you could be an undergraduate in philosophy or a PhD doctoral student in philosophy, at Boston College.

actually- isn't the uk the same way? Oxford University, King's College within it? (if I remember Alice's school right)

Your Bachelors in geography- I'm not sure what you mean, because we also get specific degrees. You would get a Bachelor's of Science in geography here too. Random things tend to be only for freshman, or as part of a core set of prerequisites. This is so that a music major, for example, leaves college with some idea of what math is, and vice versa, but it doesn't actually have anything to do with your degree- it's just in addition to it. These asides are usually completed during freshman year, but if you don't have time for them, you can take them later; there's usually a handful of these "aside" courses. But yeah, at 14 and in high school, we do have to take most everything every year, unless you go to a special science or math high school.
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Oct 9 2008, 11:40 AM)
    Random things tend to be only for freshman, or as part of a core set of prerequisites. This is so that a music major, for example, leaves college with some idea of what math is, and vice versa, but it doesn't actually have anything to do with your degree- it's just in addition to it. These asides are usually completed during freshman year, but if you don't have time for them, you can take them later; there's usually a handful of these "aside" courses. But yeah, at 14 and in high school, we do have to take most everything every year, unless you go to a special science or math high school.

It's not entirely true that "random things" tend to be only for freshman, because I took random stuff senior year, too. The difference between the American school system and most of Europe's is that we're very liberal arts-focused, unless, as you said, you go to a special or technical school. In Europe, starting somewhere in middle school or high school, you start honing in on what you're going to study for the next several years and once you get to uni, you study only that.

So, yeah, that's why most schools make you take a bunch of prereqs or so many credits in each subject, because the mentality on what your education should be like is very different. It's not just because somebody arbitrarily decided we should all take five credits of math.
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Oct 9 2008, 04:40 PM)
    actually- isn't the uk the same way? Oxford University, King's College within it? (if I remember Alice's school right)

No... cambridge and oxford are the only collegiate uni's we have. And the college part is actually more of the housing part of things, so they say at colleges x, y and z you can study, i dunno, farming, so those are the only ones you can apply for. I can't really explain it. We have college after school, for 16-18 years olds, or for non-academic subjects taken maybe earlier on, for things like building and carpentry.

QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Oct 9 2008, 05:43 PM)
    So, yeah, that's why most schools make you take a bunch of prereqs or so many credits in each subject, because the mentality on what your education should be like is very different. It's not just because somebody arbitrarily decided we should all take five credits of math.

This is why I think your way of doing things is better... cos i really dislike geography LOL. Just glad I'll be going into something I actually want to do now. You're kind of pigeonholed into being specifically brilliant at whatever your degree is in, and crap at everything else lol
  • QUOTE (The End Has No Jen @ Oct 9 2008, 05:39 PM)
    No... cambridge and oxford are the only collegiate uni's we have. And the college part is actually more of the housing part of things,

oooh! wow- I had no idea. thanks for explaining!
  • yeah i dont understand any of what the lovely and talented doctor jenny (theres an art history professor at my school named jannifer, she hatees to be called jenny, but loves to be called jenny, not that thats relevant in any real way) are you a doctor? you should be anyways.

fanny as a name. where does that come from, and do people giggle whenever they say it? i know i giggle every time i think it.
  • its like spotted dick

you get used to it..

but if fanny ordered a spotted dick, you are aloud to laugh