In this Discussion

British/American Translations

Comments

'sup R.L? Just chilling? Cool, me too.
  • hes got potential... with a makeover youd tap that, hes not so bad... fundamentally.
  • QUOTE (sweetness @ Jul 24 2007, 12:30 AM)
    i wouldnt know, all we had was goosebumps

Lies! We had Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark 1, 2 and 3! The images in those books scared the shit out of me. They still do.

omg. horrifying.

I went to an art exposition held in this underground former Roman market thing in Reims, France, that was supposed to explore the world between the animate and the inanimate, and it was basically like somebody had brought those illustrations to life. Well, at least, made them real because they weren't really alive. So I'd come around the corner and there would be this faceless thing on the floor, or people would move and all of a sudden I'd see this creepy midget thing. I was terrified. Which, on the one hand, I enjoyed, because that's what a haunted house/mansion/mill (yes, we have the haunted mill where I live every Hallowe'en) should be like. At the same time, I tried to take photos and erased all but one, because I was that terrified and couldn't possibly bring those images back home with me.
  • QUOTE (sweetness @ Jul 24 2007, 03:02 AM)
    hes got potential... with a makeover youd tap that, hes not so bad... fundamentally.

I bet he's a tender lover. I can just tell.

QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Jul 24 2007, 04:00 AM)

AHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH The stories in that weren't always too bad, but HOLY FUCK THOSE PICTURES. I think I still have nightmares about them oh my god they were so creepy. I HATED those illustrations. I guess that means that they were effective but still, if you're showing that book to elementary school students and don't realize they will probably have nightmares the rest of their lives, there's something wrong with you.

Did anyone ever watch GhostWriter? Does anyone remember the fucked up Halloween episode with the purple blob...thing. The thought of it still gives me the heebie-jeebies.
  • OMG, Amy. The purple blob monster. We talked about this before, but I'm still excited that someone else remembers the fucked-upness of that show.
  • I remember! I was thrilled that someone else on the forum remembered it too.

The funny thing is, most of my friends remember it as well. It was SUPER fucked-up. Ugh, the whole thing gives me the willies. When I first saw it, I ran screaming from the room and perched up on a chair in our kitchen because I figured the monster couldn't get me there.

Also, if you youtube the first episode, Samuel L. Jackson is one of the kid's dads. Oh Samuel L.
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Jul 19 2007, 11:43 PM)
    Hahahaha!

Bloody and arse are both used regularly here (arse is just ass in American. We also say 'arsehole'). NO ONE except Ron Weasley and my friend Jack ever say blimey. Lol. But it's a very english thing to say. I dunno what Americans say instead of bloody.... I guess it's like a dumbed down version of 'fucking' as an adjective.

i actully say blimy quite the lot..

and sometimes, cor blimy! strike a light..

QUOTE (Electra @ Jul 20 2007, 12:06 AM)
    I have NEVER heard of bippie in my life. I was under the impression that we said hoodie too... blink.gif

Also, Sally - when Damian says pants over here, it's not so bad tongue.gif Most Brits understand most American words, pants being one of them. There're so many American movies and tv shows that we're used to it all. It's just that it doesn't register coming from someone in an English accent lol.

ive never heard of bippie either..

there was a standup comic whom said this on the matter

"i went to america, and this girl said she was going to take her pants off.....i was very disapointed"

(has to be read in a semidrunk irish accent)
  • i remember ghost writter... i was so pissed it wasnt ghost rider.
  • Ghostwritter= my child hood
  • Anyway, back on topic.

Goose pimples/goose bumps

As for my two slightly more vulgar ones...
    prick/dick
    cunt/pussy

I guess the first's not so bad...Electra, do you guys say "dick" at all?

I wouldn't have added the second, except that it's a total Britishism. Nobody in the US says the first one, unless they're being really, really insulting, usually, but I'll go on my Brit friends' Facebook profiles and it'll be everywhere. It's hilarious, really.
  • Weird, they're both really common in Canada, too.
  • Yeah, we do say dick, but not so much calling someone a dick, just as another word for penis.

And we say goose bumps as well - I thought goose pimples was the american version.

The latter of your vulgar ones only recently became so common. It was considered a lot ruder, but recently it's a bit more acceptable because it's used more often now...
  • I dunno if this is true or not:
    SMS / text
  • What about this one??

Mobile phone/cell phone

Well we do use SMS as well, but not really as a spoken word if you know what I mean...
    It's a formal ? word for 'text' I guess.
  • British / American

Advert / Commercial

Toilet / loo / bathroom / restroom
  • British/American

bloke, chap/ guy...man ....That's probly wrong
    mate/ pal, buddy, homey....well, I don't actually know anybody who says any of those except in a joking way. People I know just say "friend."

Here's what wub.gif John Oliver wub.gif said to the immigration guy:
    "Sounds like a great idea, gov'nor. How bout slappin' on a whistle and flute, headin' up the apples and pears and havin' a go at the old dog and bone, ding-dong?"

That gives me:
    have a go/ try

The rest of what he said I don't understand. Which is why he's awesome. I wish John Oliver had his own show.
    (*whisper* I love him more than Colbert)
  • I'm posting here b/c everytime I listen to the fratellis, there's stuff I don't understand and it makes me grin. They're not British, but I figure making a Scottish thread is a little much.

What's twee????? "You look so dumb and you sound so twee"
    And what exactly is a blagger?
    What's a shite bar?

Petrol! They say petrol all the time! I'm gonna say that from now on! Well, I don't actually buy gas since I don't have a car, but still.

And when they talk, ahahahahaha, I can't understand anything they say!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=ma28tkINnGs
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=utdKetKoaak

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E7j2ntbXRYU

Scottish accents are so sexy!!

For the most part, I can understand Jon singing, but when he speaks, it's like he could be speaking Zulu with a few English words mixed it. I wanna be Scottish sooo bad.
  • oh ...i love it when they talk, too... even though i think i can understand them a lot better that... the maccabees (or maybe it was just this one video...? ) and they are from Brighton...

Basically i can't really add something here, as i am neither British nor American and my English is mixed i guess (from reading British books and watching American Shows...haha)
  • lol! can you understand this one?
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=utdKetKoaak

If you do, can you tell me what they're saying? I can hear the laughter, but it's like back when I took French and we had to do listening exercises and I'd just lay my head on my desk and give up. Except now, I reeeally wanna know what's being said.

But you know, I can basically understand the interviewer, but not the boys. Even with the volume blasting.
  • haha, i have seen this before and my thoughts back then were:
    .... wtf...

yeah, they talk about cups(???), and ...superfans and... arctic monkeys , oh i have no idea

oh well, so maybe this is better? http://youtube.com/watch?v=ma28tkINnGs&feature=related

haha, i LOVE this accent!