In this Discussion

Cantarell

Comments

• OHEMGEE I had to SERIOUSLY stifle some giggles there, Katy. Becky and I both agreed that posting the chocolatey picture of you would cause you undue embarrassment, and since you're so awesome that you let us hang out with you, thereby making us cool, we didn't want to do that.

The guitar was not the gold telecaster, it was the one he got for his b-day last year from Damian and co on stage if I'm not mistaken. The color in those photos is not entirely right.

That is me and the setlist I got from Eytan Oren. The handwriting is Travis's. The songs are shorthand for actual titles.

She's The One (not on Cantarell, very country, clear Rocketship Park influences)
    My Window (wub.gif)
    I Blew Myself Up Over You (this song lends itself to innuendo very well, because it goes "I blew myself (breath) up over you")
    Losing Eyeballs (if you say it with a Long Island accent it sounds like "LosinGuyballs" hence the dirty title)
    Red Light (one of my favorite songs on Cantarell)
    I Don't Want to Know About My City (let's explain why it says "Shitty Ass Balls", shall we? The song goes "I don't want to know about my City At All", which can easily be translated into "I don't wanna know about your shitty ass balls". I feel that "Shitty Ass Balls" is clearly the new Holiday classic for the ages. I could be heard on the streets of Philadelphia all day yesterday singing "I don't want to know about your shitty ass balls". Ask Becky.)
    Don't Know Why (also not on Cantarell, again, sounded like a Rocketship Park song)
    Free Jam (Didn't happen, don't know what this was supposed to be)
    23 (I swear to G-d that I nearly had a conniption upon hearing this. It was by this point that I started to think "He's gonna go through this whole concert and barely play any DNLBATW" and I was getting worried that I wouldn't hear this song that I love So Very Much. All three of us sang along enthusiastically.)
    Still Awake (This is a REALLY pretty song)
    The Fade to Black (OMG I love this song. Katy and I were doing the hand claps in the appropriate spots and all three of us were singing along. Travis was singing along very enthusiastically, I might add, as well. Wait until you see Becky's video. You can see Travis looking right at me and singing along, it was hilarious).

Notes about the night:

Travis is the most entertaining drummer ever. I love watching his face. I told him that he was my favorite part of Fade To Black (on the recording, not during the show, although that was also the case) and he said "I'll keep that in mind - MORE DRUMS".

ANDY BEAN IS ALWAYS MAKING FUN OF MEEEEEEEEEEEE. First I come in and he's all smiles and hugs for me, and then upon finding out that I've enabled Becky to fly in from Chicago he says something to the effect of "Well you're the ringleader. Don't you run the OK Go fan club or something? OK Go for Grownups, right?"

So after he picked on me all night;
    ABean: Hey, we're playing Rehoboth soon.
    Rachel: When?
    ABean: October 11th
    Rachel: Oh, my friend is getting married that night.
    ABean: Great bring her along!
    Whatevs, ABean. Whatevs. rolleyes.gif (BTW, it turns out he's playing on the 10th, and I'm still not coming because I'm going to her rehearsal dinner tongue.gif)

And as for Mr. Ross himself, wow, what a sweetheart. He totally put up with my babbling, gave me a hug, saw Becky and recognized her straightaway. I don't want to take away from Becky's review that she'll do, so I'll leave out the details, but I definitely LOVED every minute Secret Dakota Ring was onstage. SO HAPPY. I still can't believe I got to hear "23" performed live, and I'm beside myself just thinking about it. biggrin.gif Oh, and I found a guitar pick on the floor that is exactly the same kind as the ones Andy has given me in the past. Clearly it was an ARoss guitar pick.

I am seriously hoping that SDR plays more shows, LONGER shows (with more DNLBATW next time, plz? Kthx). I LOVE LOVE LOVE Cantarell and I can't wait for you guys to hear it.

• biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I don't even know what else to say.
  • I still haven't read the report yet but I just needed to say, "Rach, you look so cute in that pic smile.gif".
  • eeck! excellent report!

"Oh, and I found a guitar pick on the floor that is exactly the same kind as the ones Andy has given me in the past. Clearly it was an ARoss guitar pick."

Ack! I still want one of those (yes, I'm green with envy )
    "And as for Mr. Ross himself, wow, what a sweetheart. He totally put up with my babbling, gave me a hug, saw Becky and recognized her straightaway."
    aw wub.gif

I have a question, how big was the venue? Did many people go? (I'm hoping if this show did alright maybe Andy will consider doing one next year)
  • The venue was rather small. I would say there were maybe 50 people there (but I'm REALLY bad at these estimations so I could be wrong). My impression from the conversation I had with ARoss is that they want to play more shows, so do not give up hope on that.
  • Oi! Oi! Oi! That's excellent news, thanks again! smile.gif
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ Sep 26 2008, 03:39 PM)
    But you looked so adorable. tongue.gif

Yeah, that's why the guy at the other table-booth thinger looked at us and said that I had chocolate all over my face, too. It was a shining moment, clearly.

QUOTE (Surfer Rosa @ Sep 26 2008, 07:40 PM)
    I have a question, how big was the venue? Did many people go? (I'm hoping if this show did alright maybe Andy will consider doing one next year)

It was a tiny little box. Most places on the LES are. Whether or not he plays another show has a lot more do with OK Go's scheduling than whether or not he wants to play one.

QUOTE (DJRose @ Sep 26 2008, 04:29 PM)
    ANDY BEAN IS ALWAYS MAKING FUN OF MEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I yelled at him via MySpace and threatened no Reese's next time if he keeps it up. To be fair, he said a few choice things to me, but I just gave him the backhanded V, so.

Addendum to my review : abean and Travis are real tall.
  • A few days late, but I've been busy.

My story starts with flying out to Pittsburgh to connect to a flight to Philly where Rachel would pick me up. The flight was uneventful, which is always nice when you want to get somewhere on time. I waited for Rachel for only a few minutes and then promptly met her on the wrong side, so I guess I didn't meet her. Anyway, we finally got together and when I hopped in her car what do I hear? 23! Rachel is definitely the awesome.

We drove to New Jersey and talked the entire way. We parked and hopped on the PATH. I'm used to the CTA, so when I got on this train it was kinda odd to see all the seats facing inwards. And I got My My Metrocard stuck in my head when Rachel purchased a metrocard. We also managed to get an adorable "before" pic while riding the PATH. We got off at WTC and walked to the NY subway system to get to Rehab. We jumped off at one of the stops and proceeded to walk to the club. We're nearly there and Rachel spots Andy. So, what do we do, we run away from him. Well, we run across the same street he's crossing but on the other side, then cross another street so we're ahead of him walking into the club. All the while I'm telling Rachel that I hate her because she made me run in front of aross. I'm not a graceful runner.

We get to the club. I get confused and try and give the bouncer the 3 bucks for the show. I don't show him my ID and get in anyway. (Rebekker, you probably would have been able to get in, possibly.) We go downstairs, are asked which show we're there for and give the cashier the 3 bucks. We walk into the very dark bar area and start looking for people we know. We see Andy Bean from Two Man Gentleman Band and Unsacred Hearts. We also see Travis Harrison, co-founder of Serious Business and other half of SDR. We go and talk to them. Rachel gets hugs, I get handshakes. And silly me, I brought my 2MGB kazoo in the hopes that "Math is Power" is played and I could kazoo along. So I asked Andy Bean to sign it for me. He does and takes up the majority of the kazoo so the Councilman will not be able to sign it, should I ever see him.

While talking with abean, aross walks up and rudely interrupts and takes abean away from us. Okay, I found out later that abean said he had to talk with aross and apologized. I didn't hear it (the bar was obscenely loud) and was a little confused. So we went to the bar and ordered two Guinnesses on tap. Yum! While I was waiting to pay my tab someone taps me on the arm. I turn and aross waves at me, I wave back, then he goes back to conversing with abean. Rudeness forgiven. We take our Guinnesses and walk around the club. Which didn't take very long as it's kinda small. We decide to get some seats for Rails to Russia. I highly recommend them. Never heard them before. They were quite excellent. After them was Falcon. Another great band. I thought their guitarist looks just like Roland Orzabal from Tears for Fears. They were also very good. It was during Falcon that Katy showed up.

Then it was SDR time. I sat on the bench on the far left right by the speakers. Probably not my wisest choice as my hearing has probably suffered. It was really interesting to see SDR as a full band. And as you've seen Rachel's post, they opened with She's the One. Here's another pretty pic of the set list. Then Katy, Rachel and I started bopping and singing to "My Window". Travis is awesome to watch drumming. They played more stuff from Cantarell and other stuff never heard before. Then they played "23"!!!! Be still my heart. My favorite SDR song is being performed live right in front of my very eyes. This made the trip worth it. Right there. That's it. They play two more songs from Cantarell, including "The Fade to Black" and the show is over. It went by really quickly, and it didn't help that they were being "pushed" off the stage for the next band. They played their set list with the exception of the Blues jam. I was hoping to hear more from DNLBATW, but I'm happy with what they did select. It was a great show and I'm so happy that I was able to go see it.

After their set, they were walking about in the club for a while. I managed to talk with aross for a little while. A very little while which is fine because he remembered me. He points and says "B is for Becky". He asks how the show was, I say that I was hoping for a little more from DNLBATW, but since he played "23" I was good. He said that they only had 2 days to rehearse and they felt better with the new stuff. He asked if it sounded good, of course it was good. He then asked something about it being short or something like that and I agreed. He apologized, but come on, not his fault in the least. Then I gave him a mix CD I made for him. (Cue Mix Tape from Avenue Q, but there's nothing on there remotely interesting as the song suggests.) It was mainly Cubs themed music that I didn't think he would ever download to listen to. I even put on the new Eddie Vedder single "All The Way" that Ernie Banks asked him to write. It is a beautiful song and will denigrate me to tears in the right mood. Anyway, I also managed to um, Rickroll Andy. At least I'm hoping I did. The song is kinda hidden in between Office, Le Tigre, Flight of the Conchords and Mika. Then of course I asked for a picture with him. I also got one for Rachel. We said our good-byes and it was time to leave.

All in all, it was a good show that I wished lasted a little longer. Alas, most good things are much too short.

Below are some pics from the show. All can be viewed here. Videos are up in the review. I know I have a bazillion links up there, but check out My Window, 23 and The Fade to Black.

Did I mention I was able to get my hands on Cantarell?
  • Becky, those videos are fantastic!!!! I so so wish I'd have been there.

perfect perfect perfect

wub.gif
  • I Love The Videos. I LOVE the pictures (except for the ones I'm in, LOLZ). Well done Becky.

We're nearly there and Rachel spots Andy. So, what do we do, we run away from him. Well, we run across the same street he's crossing but on the other side, then cross another street so we're ahead of him walking into the club.

Let me explain. We were walking along Houston (HOW-stun) when we got to Avenue B. Across Avenue B, I saw ARoss coming out of a cornershop. The light was in our favor to cross Houston, so we both started crossing, but it changed mid-street. ARoss stopped mid-intersection, but I ran to finish crossing (mainly because I forgot that was okay in NYC). So anyway, we got to the other side of Houston and had to cross Avenue B (because Rehab was on the right hand side of the street), so we do that as ARoss finishes crossing Houston.

She's right. The whole time this was going on she kept saying "Rachel I hate you", and I just kept laughing. It was hilarious. I don't run gracefully either, it's not a big deal.
  • beckysioux! Thank you for the detailed write up and the abundant photos/videos interspersed throughout. I almost feel like I was there! Sounds like you all had an amazing time.
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Sep 27 2008, 12:20 PM)
    She's right. The whole time this was going on she kept saying "Rachel I hate you", and I just kept laughing. It was hilarious. I don't run gracefully either, it's not a big deal.

hahahahahahahaha tongue.gif

Thanks for the reports girls!

"B is for Becky" laugh.gif ...how awesome is it that he even remembers that?
  • you know i would have been all over this stuff had our internet not been out since TUESDAY.
    Becky, Rach... I seriously love you guys. Thanks for the great write ups, photos and especially the videos. I just sat here with my jaw on the floor watching '23'

Katy... I will come there soon. So I can finally meet you.

This was so great. Thanks so much you guys
  • Becky...the videos...no words. Couldn't ask for anything better! So glad you guys had a fantastic time smile.gif smile.gif
  • Thank you everyone for your kind words. I didn't take as many pictures as I would have liked because the flash was really annoying and all the ones I took without flash look pretty shitty. But that's fine because I was able to enjoy the show more.

Rachel, I still hate you and I don't wanna hear about your Shitty Ass Balls wink.gif Katy, the guy was just being nice and stating how cute you looked with the nutella on your face.
  • Becky, I love that I was smiling the entire time I was reading your review. Loveeeeed it... and the pictures and videos!!

And wow, it must feel soo amazing that Andy remembers you! Aaaaaaaah. smile.gif smile.gif
  • agree with allll previous statements

great write-ups, pictures, VIDEOS (<3!), etc.

I'm too tired to say much more, and I still have more homework to do, but...

<3
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Sep 26 2008, 09:35 AM)
    The show was short. Andy Bean likes Reese's peanut butter cups. That is my review.

QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Sep 26 2008, 08:31 PM)
    Addendum to my review : abean and Travis are real tall.

That was a great review! It highlights some of my favorites things. Peanut butter cups and tall people.

QUOTE (DJRose @ Sep 26 2008, 01:29 PM)
    The guitar was not the gold telecaster, it was the one he got for his b-day last year from Damian and co on stage if I'm not mistaken. The color in those photos is not entirely right.

Good.

QUOTE (beckysioux @ Sep 27 2008, 09:43 AM)
    Did I mention I was able to get my hands on Cantarell?

Ahhhh! I'm even more jealous now! I have to wait another 44 days. sad.gif Awesome recap as always, Becky! And thank you for videos!
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ Sep 27 2008, 12:43 PM)
    A very little while which is fine because he remembered me. He points and says "B is for Becky".

Can I come to a show with you sometime? (or Rachel, or Katy... though I've been to a show with Katy. But not an Ok Go/Serious Business show.)
    If only I had transportation/money/Boston shows.
    But seriously, that would be freaking awesome. Both to meet any of you, and to talk to the guys with people who they recognize on sight...

le sigh.

lol, in case you can't tell, I'm very nearly dying of jealousy. And withdrawal. Some combination of the two which is causing me much unintelligible grumbling on the subject.

don't take me seriously, haha. I'll get over it.