In this Discussion

the "im getting paid and need new albums" thread

Comments

• For people who want to buy music with their paychecks, I recommend the following:

*Cold War Kids Robbers & Cowards (DO IT NOW. I will talk about this band probably forever now . . . )
    *Delta Spirit I Think I've Found It! EP
    *Probably Vampires Dang! (It will make you want to dance and sing-a-long . . . a lot.)
    *Sean Lennon Friendly Fire
    *Albert Hammond, Jr. Yours to Keep
    *Nicole Atkins [& the Sea] Bleeding Diamonds
    *the 1900s Plume Delivery
    *The Redwalls the Wall to Wall Sessions EP
    *Elliott Smith New Moon (It's very, very, very, very good . . . )
    *Mando Diao Ode to Ochrasy
    *Sugarplum Fairy First Round, First Minute
    *The Fratellis Costello Music (I'm sure this has been mentioned . . . I hope . . . )
    *Kings of Leon Because of the Times
    *The Blue Van Dear Independence
  • i almost bought albert hammond jr... instead i made a huge mistake and bough klaxons. ew.
  • QUOTE (sweetness @ Jun 17 2007, 05:09 PM)
    i almost bought albert hammond jr... instead i made a huge mistake and bough klaxons. ew.

oh joe, youve sold out on are pact

=(
  • nooooo! i bought it before i knew they were shit! thats how i found out, i cant even bring myself to looking at the cd. it sits at the botton of a box, under some old "time" magazines. no pacts were broken
  • Oh, Joe . . . that's really sad . . . I thought you would have bought Aber-Hamma-Jamma (long story) before anything, seeing that he's in the Strokes.

I found out that Klaxons were shit when I bought two of their imported singles for 99 cents each at a local record store. I don't feel so bad about buying them because of that.
  • im on a crusade to make sure no one i know buys the cd ever
  • That's a good cause, I think.

Oh, I forgot an album

Coconut Records Nighttiming

I highly recommend it
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Jun 10 2007, 07:00 PM)
    I've been a big fan of finding great cover art ever since I stumbled across the cover of Big Brother & the Holding Company's "Cheap Thrills" cover, which is illustrated by R. Crumb (with whom I am strangely fascinated).

Have you seen American Splendor?
  • QUOTE (Jaded @ Jun 17 2007, 08:45 AM)
    *Elliott Smith New Moon (It's very, very, very, very good . . . )

Really? I've been a bit hesitant to buy it because I usually avoid posthumous CDs, but if it's good, maybe I'll make an exception.

QUOTE (Jaded @ Jun 17 2007, 11:26 PM)
    Have you seen American Splendor?

Yes! Partially because I knew R. Crumb illustrated a bunch of American Splendor comics. The movie was pretty damn good.

The White Stripes' new album, Icky Thump, comes out tomorrow (I think). I haven't been able to stop listening to the released single (also called "Icky Thump") so I'm super excited, especially since people have been saying that it's a "return to the roots" kind of album. I'm a huge fan of the self-titled, White Blood Cells, and especially De Stijl (which I think is their best album) so I'm super thrilled. I've been listening to them all day.

And Gogol Bordello is coming out with a new CD oh my god I am so excited.

Some others:
    Architecture in Helsinki: Fingers Crossed (twee, full of hand-clapping, and amazing)
    Ween: God Ween Satan (they make fun of every type of music and are probably one of the bands that makes me laugh on a regular basis)
    Squirrel Nut Zippers: Hot (I recommend it all the time because it deserves to be recommended all the time. It's swing and perfect for summer)
    Anything by April March (especially Chick Habit. Francophone and dancy-y)
    The Go! Team: Thunder Lightning Strike (half pop, half cheerleading. They have rightly recieved critical acclaim and are great music to which to just fling around)
    The Beatles: Love (it's the new remixing of Beatles songs by Cirque Du Soleil. I thought it was going to be terrible, but it came out as something that makes you reappreciate the Beatles by slightly tweaking a few of the songs. They stick together Dear Prudence and Cry Baby Cry after Come Together. Or What You're Doing and The Word in the middle of Drive My Car. Amaaaazing)

I also need to buy Of Montreal's Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? I hear it's pretty bad-ass. Opinions?
  • theres this band i love that i cant find their cd no matter how hard i try
    the sunlandic twins
    i cant find
    their really really really good
    get the cd and tell me where to find it
  • Isn't that an Of Montreal EP or something?
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Jun 18 2007, 09:06 AM)
    Really? I've been a bit hesitant to buy it because I usually avoid posthumous CDs, but if it's good, maybe I'll make an exception.

Well, it's recordings that he did between 1994-1997. I've heard all of songs way before this album came out, but they're remastered and stuff so they sound better and not fuzzy.
  • Oh I know. It's just some weird thing inside me that feels like what was left should be left. I have nothing against people doing this, it's just something about which I personally feel weird. Yaknow?

Like Jade said, the Sunlandic Twins was a CD put out by Of Montreal. Is that what you mean?
  • QUOTE (Jaded @ Jun 20 2007, 12:58 PM)
    Isn't that an Of Montreal EP or something?

im pretty sure yea
    but yea i found their cd online,
    but i hate payin shippin.
    a whole 5 bucks for one 13 dollar cd.
    thats a bit much.
  • Apoligies to the Queen Mary by Wolf Parade, it's Montreal indie music, sounds a lot like Modest Mouse's new stuff as it was produced by Isaac Brock and it's just loud good music
    Up All Night is Razorlight's debut album and it's beautiful beautiful beautiful music you really ought to buy it
    Lifted (the Story is in the soil) by bright eyes you probably don't like them, him , but give it a fair listen it's not too good guitar but it's still beautiful enough lyrics they're real poetry...
  • LCD soundsystem!
    sound of silver is my favorite album of the year.

theyre even more amazing live.
    just saw them in LA about 3 weeks ago

but seriously, get the cd.
  • Belle and Sebastian's "The Life Pursuit" is pretty awesome.

So is The 88's newer album, the name just slipped my mind...

Beulah's "Yoko." If you don't have that, you don't deserve to live.
    And while you're at it, get "When Your Heartstrings Break" and "The Coast Is Never Clear," too.

Wheat's "Per Second, Per Second, Per Second... Every Second" is fantastimagical, also.
  • QUOTE (Shalu-lah @ Jul 3 2007, 07:18 PM)
    Belle and Sebastian's "The Life Pursuit" is pretty awesome.

So is The 88's newer album, the name just slipped my mind...

Beulah's "Yoko." If you don't have that, you don't deserve to live.
    And while you're at it, get "When Your Heartstrings Break" and "The Coast Is Never Clear," too.

I pretty much love you.

If I'm not mistaken, the 88 album you're refering to is "Over and Over," which is FANTASTIC. It's always played in various TV shows or on commercials, but that shouldn't discourage anyone from listening to them. I love that album and it's so widely loved by everyone I've had listen to it. "Kind of Light" isn't so bad either, though notably different from "Over and Over."

I second Beulah's "When Your Heartstrings Break," (Emma Blowgun's Last Stand was one of my favorite songs this past winter) and Belle and Sebastian (they're a classic).

Add to that Of montreal's newest album "Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?" and anything by Spoon (an essential).
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Jul 3 2007, 08:29 PM)
    I pretty much love you.

If I'm not mistaken, the 88 album you're refering to is "Over and Over," which is FANTASTIC. It's always played in various TV shows or on commercials, but that shouldn't discourage anyone from listening to them. I love that album and it's so widely loved by everyone I've had listen to it. "Kind of Light" isn't so bad either, though notably different from "Over and Over."

I second Beulah's "When Your Heartstrings Break," (Emma Blowgun's Last Stand was one of my favorite songs this past winter) and Belle and Sebastian (they're a classic).

Add to that Of montreal's newest album "Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?" and anything by Spoon (an essential).

WHOO! I always love bumping into people with good taste in music. I guess I can expect to see a lot of that here on an OK Go forum... smile.gif

Yessss, "Over and Over!" That's what it's called!

I have like two Of Montreal songs. I'm sure I'd love them if I got more of their music.

I second Spoon. All Spoon is gold. (Especially anything off "Girls Can Tell" or "Gimme Fiction.")

Oh, and The Magic Numbers are pretty cool, too. They have a self-titled album.

AND SONDRE LERCHE.... HE IS AMAZING. "Two Way Monologue!"
  • QUOTE (Shalu-lah @ Jul 3 2007, 10:42 PM)
    I second Spoon. All Spoon is gold. (Especially anything off "Girls Can Tell" or "Gimme Fiction.")

AND SONDRE LERCHE.... HE IS AMAZING. "Two Way Monologue!"

I never really got into "Girls Can Tell" as much as "Gimme Fiction" and "Kill the Moonlight." Oh my god, have you heard the new single The Underdog off of their upcoming album ("Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga"). If you want to listen, go to criticalmetrics.com and just search for The Underdog. It may be one of my new favorite songs. It's super upbeat for Spoon and even a bit pop-y, a sound I was a bit wary of at first. However, it works, using a tried-and-true popish tune with some spin that I can't quite place that makes it sound different and keeps me humming all day (it's no "I Turn My Camera On," but it's pretty damn good).

Sondre Lerche is amazing.

Another few recommendations:
    I can't stress them enough: The Books. They're absolutely amazing in a way that any of my descriptions of them cannot do them justice.
    Gogol Bordello's "East Infection" (really, anything by Gogol Bordello. It's fucking gypsy punk rock)
    Kimya Dawson's "Remember that I Love You"
    The Mountain Goats: "We Shall be Healed"
    Mates of State: "Team Boo"
    Me First and the Gimme Gimmes: "Love Their Country" (OK. So they're a cover band, so what? They're hilsrious and made 'punk' covers of famous songs. This is their most recent album and it includes covers of "Desperado," "Goodbye Earl," and "(Ghost) Riders in the Sky." It's just simply FUN music)