In this Discussion

Conversation about movies

Comments

• I can't speak for the quality of the film as it hasn't come out yet, but I'm just saying. You expect me to believe Mathew Perry was Zach Efron when he was 17?
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Apr 14 2009, 10:01 PM)
    I can't speak for the quality of the film as it hasn't come out yet, but I'm just saying. You expect me to believe Mathew Perry was Zach Efron when he was 17?

pretty obvious...

its like how in 30 years ill look like clint eastwood
  • Rented Let the Right One In with the boyfriend. Made the mistake of renting Nick & Nora's Infinite Playlist (as a "palette cleanser," said the boyfriend) as well.

Let the Right One In was everything I wanted it to be: quiet with long, beautiful shots, oddly sweet, subtly terrifying, and Swedish. Not to mention it had one of the best actresses ever; I swear the girl who played the vampire Eli could turn on her creepy face like a switch. I've grown really tired of horror movies just being about incredible amounts of gore and violence. It gets to be a bit much for my taste. It was fantastic to see a vampire movie with such depth, complex characters, and beauty. Also, I'm glad that someone remembered my favorite part of vampire myth: that they can only come into a house when invited.

While watching Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist, I felt that there's this growing trend of trying to deliberately make movies to look like what people THINK an indie movie should look like. However, it was perfect for mocking while eating junk food.

Tonight I watched This Movie is Not Yet Rated. While it brought up things I kind of already knew (i.e. that the MPAA is kind of effed up in terms of its priority and movies depicting sexuality--especially queer or female sexuality--automatically get higher ratings than movies showing violence and gore), but was still interesting, albeit a little all over the place.
  • I enjoyed Nick & Norah's, but I definitely see what you mean.
    And the book is much better and much less pretentious. And Norah is a much more interesting character. And much more happens.

• Awwwww, I LOVED Nick and Norah!!! Maybe it's because I didn't see it so much as an indie movie as a a charicature of some of the best nights of my life, LOL.
  • I really liked Nick and Norah too.

And I just saw Katie's comment about Slumdog, which I just saw for the first time recently. It was sooooo good!!!! It was just like so sad but happy, too. I definitely cried. It was just SOOOO good! I loved it.
  • Perhaps I just wasn't in the mood. I dunno, I felt like it was trying too hard to look like a mix between Juno and a Michel Gondry film. But, at that hour, I was so enamored with Let the Right One In and bloated on cookies, I was out of my mind.
    Edit: I guess I should note that, contrary to what my recent posts might say, I'm really not that much of a movie snob; I love a twee RomCom as much as the next. I'll probably see Paper Hearts... and love it.

I kind of adore John Waters. His movies are alright (I think their importance lies in their shock-factor and I'm glad he made them, but they're probably not something I'd pull off the shelf for a rainy day viewing), but he is just fantastically odd. I guess my feelings about him are to be expected, given my love of creeps, but still. One of my roommates is from Baltimore and so has a sort of ingrained John Waters loyalty, so I get to hear stories about John Waters' exploits in Baltimore. All are fantastic.
  • has anyone seen Diving Bell & the Butterfly? i just got it in my Netflix and i really wanna watch it... but i don't know what to expect... like, should i be prepared to sit and watch and be sad? or will i feel okay afterwards? watching movies to me is a huge commitment... they all get my undivided attention..i just need to know what sort of night i should expect after... haha
  • I thought it was fantastic. It's sad, as one might expect from a movie about locked-in syndrome. However, it's really beautiful (Schnabel is fantastic director) and is full of really attractive French ladies.

I highly recommend seeing it.
  • fantastic. i actually knew i could count on you for a review of this particular flick wink.gif
    so i'll watch it when i know i'm staying in for the night smile.gif
  • Also: if you end up liking the movie, I HIGHLY recommend the book of the same title by Jean-Dominique Bauby (the protagonist of the movie). He "dictated" the entire book by blinking to his assistant. It's really deep and powerful, albeit short.

I think I like Julian Schnabel's movies (and apartment; the Palazzo Chupi is ridiculous in the best way) more than his paintings.

Maybe that's a lie. I kind of like this:

(P.S.: Let me know what you think of the movie!)
  • They should use more of OK GO's music as background in movies. Also Arden Kaywin cause she is cool
  • I just watched He's Just Not That Into You and I thought it was great for a romantic comedy because it didn't have a totally cliche happy ending and it didn't have totally predictable plotlines. I thought Justin Long and Jennifer Connelly's characters were the only ones that had the same spirit as the book. But all in all, good for its genre.
  • Anyone seen G.I. Joe yet? I am thinking of going, but I am not sure if it will be any good.
  • Haven't seen G.I. Joe but I feel that it will be just like Transformers 2: Really, really, REALLY cool, but DUMB.

I can't wait to see Inglourious Basterds on Thursday.

"I'll eat you up, I love you so."
  • I'm waiting for the new movie 2012...I like watching the end of the world XDD
  • Yessssss

I'm so glad directors I love happen to have all decided to make movies from kid's books.

Also, it combined my love for stop-motion animation and Wes Anderson.
  • My favourite movie of all time is Trainspotting, as most people on this forum are from the US you may not have seen it. Check it out.
  • QUOTE (joehughes @ Jan 20 2010, 11:48 AM)
    My favourite movie of all time is Trainspotting, as most people on this forum are from the US you may not have seen it. Check it out.

Lots of people in the States have seen Trainspotting.