In this Discussion

The official Album number 3 thread

Comments

• QUOTE (LolaBert @ Nov 11 2009, 01:05 AM)
    Holy sweet potatoes, I must have psychic powers. After being away from the boards, I decided to re-visit on a whim (more like study procrastination) and SHAZAM! New music and video! Eep!

Very VERY different sound from their previous endeavours. I guess I'll reserve my judgements for when the full album comes out.

LOOOLLLAAAAAAAA <3

Hey smile.gif
  • Well I found the album cover of "Of The Blue Colour Of the Sky".
    And the track listing:
    1. WTF?
    2. This Too Shall Pass
    3. All Is Not Lost
    4. Needing/Getting
    5. Skyscrapers
    6. White Knuckles
    7. I Want You So Bad I Can't Breathe
    8. End Love
    9. Before The Earth Was Round
    10. Last Leaf
    11. Back From Kathmandu
    12. While You Were Asleep
    13. In The Glass

EDIT: I forgot to say where I found this :
    http://www.capitolstreetteam.com/home.php?artist=312
  • QUOTE (PinkMuffin @ Nov 17 2009, 03:01 PM)
    Well I found the album cover of "Of The Blue Colour Of the Sky".

And the track listing:
    1. WTF?
    2. This Too Shall Pass
    3. All Is Not Lost
    4. Needing/Getting
    5. Skyscrapers
    6. White Knuckles
    7. I Want You So Bad I Can't Breathe
    8. End Love
    9. Before The Earth Was Round
    10. Last Leaf
    11. Back From Kathmandu
    12. While You Were Asleep
    13. In The Glass

EDIT: I forgot to say where I found this :
    http://www.capitolstreetteam.com/home.php?artist=312

This info was already posted on Nov. 5. http://okgo.forumsunlimited.com/index.php?...mp;#entry178810
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ Nov 17 2009, 10:11 PM)
    This info was already posted on Nov. 5. http://okgo.forumsunlimited.com/index.php?...mp;#entry178810

Oh shit...I missed this post...sorry unsure.gif
    How can I'm be that blind,ahhh....
  • Actually, It looks like the cover may have undergone a redesign (I prefer this one).

• I'm kinda disappointed in the font. Blah, blah, blah, new direction, new music, new, new, new. Still don't like the font. Who knew I could bitch about font? Meh.
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ Nov 19 2009, 09:51 AM)
    I'm kinda disappointed in the font. Blah, blah, blah, new direction, new music, new, new, new. Still don't like the font. Who knew I could bitch about font? Meh.

What did Helvetica ever do to you?

ALSO I just realised "colour" is spelt with a "u." That makes me happy. biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Nov 19 2009, 01:30 PM)
    What did Helvetica ever do to you?

It's just so... so... so boring. And this album is anything but.
  • I'll admit, I do like Serif fonts.

But this is just such a huge improvement over the other one, IMO.
  • The Helvetica font is overused I agree, but can be used nicely, like here.
    The ( hopefully ) updated artwork is really nice. Ways better then the earlier posted one.
    Though I prefer the old logo + identity..
    Never mind, just hope the packaging will be a nice cardboard gatefold sleeve and I'll be happy.
    Please no jewelcases!!!

Edit: And here w/o ze white border shizzle;

Edit1: I've heard Damian saying they're touring Europe for 1,5 months after the release.
    I keep my fingers crossed for an Amsterdam gig. The big news IS, that I'm planning to do my personal artwork / packaging for the new album.
    Any of you have exposure with giving things to the boys..? How's that work?
  • I suppose I'll grow to like the artwork. But whatevs, it's the music that will count anyway.

As for giving the guys stuffs, if you meet them after the show, just hand deliver it. That's what I've done in the past. Just last Friday I gave them all Cubs Pez Dispensers. I asked if they had a pocket and then handed it over. Dan was excited because he likes the Cubs and candy. Of course aross gave me shit for giving him something Cubs related wink.gif
  • QUOTE (Joris @ Nov 19 2009, 12:43 PM)
    Edit: And here w/o ze white border shizzle;

ooooooooh! that's so pretty! idk about the font though.... eh.
  • QUOTE (Joris @ Nov 19 2009, 04:43 PM)
    Edit1: I've heard Damian saying they're touring Europe for 1,5 months after the release.
    I keep my fingers crossed for an Amsterdam gig.

Well, they're playing in the UK until the 18th of January and then in Paris on the 26th. Odds are good, then, that they'll make it to Amsterdam, especially as they've played there before.
  • So I just have to yell to the world how excited I am for the new album. honestly Jan 12 can not come fast enough. LIke........AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    I have "This Too Shall Pass" stuck in my head and I ADORE "Last Leaf". I saw them in LA twice this week and both times Damian was like ok guys I am gonna try and not be such an arrogant dick for a little bit and come out there and connect with you. hahahaha oh man I love our boys.
  • Apparently, there will be a 2disc special edition which I can already pre-order from a Dutch retail website.
    Special edition with an extra DVD.. 28 euros! Probably will be updated as soon as there is more information but its coming, at last!
  • QUOTE (Joris @ Nov 29 2009, 10:02 AM)
    Apparently, there will be a 2disc special edition which I can already pre-order from a Dutch retail website.
    Special edition with an extra DVD.. 28 euros! Probably will be updated as soon as there is more information but its coming, at last!

That is *really* cool, Joris. I checked to see today if there were any special editions coming out in the States, and couldn't find anything like that. BUT, I did find this:

http://www.billboard.com/news/ok-go-hops-o...004049548.story

Take that alongside the Carson Daly interview from the other night and one might infer that they are making videos for every song on the album, or at least trying to.
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Nov 30 2009, 01:27 PM)
    Take that alongside the Carson Daly interview from the other night and one might infer that they are making videos for every song on the album, or at least trying to.

Hmmm, I don't know if Last Leaf will get a vid. I would love it if it did. Especially if it recreates how it was recorded.
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Nov 30 2009, 02:27 PM)

Nice article. Thanks, lady!

Meaning no disrespect to Meg Harkins, Capitol VP of marketing, but ugh: "proper platform," "reintegrate" and "marketplace." Who talks like that? This is why I am not in marketing.

But hooray for this: "We just want to be the band who does weird stuff." Yes!

I love the cover! While I am most thrilled about the new music, of course, I'm enough of a graphic design nerd to anticipate with some excitement the new artwork, too, so much so that I made a point of asking Damian last month who is doing the art for the new record:
    "Me and two British guys." (silent cheer from me. I'd hoped Damian was doing it.)
    "Anyone I would know?"
    "No... They're doing a comparative textual analysis of the song lyrics and text from the book that the title is taken from. [Then he said something about it being in a beautiful font and/or color]"
    "Mm..you're getting all art-semiotics on me, Damian."
    "I am. I am getting THAT on YOU, yes."

My question also reminded him that something to do with the art was due the next day, which made me happy to think about. Damian has deadlines just like the rest of us.

Finally, I offer proof that I am a graphic design nerd: There is a documentary film about a font - Helvetica, in fact - that I've watched more than once. Michael Beirut, a graduate of Cincinnati's DAAP program and now with Pentagram in NYC, appears in the film and guest-spoke at a screening here. He said, "If you're a graphic designer, this is like the feel-good movie of the year." smile.gif It's worth watching.
  • Oh yes, 22nd of January; OK Go in Amsterdam. I'm so gonna get tickets saturday.
    My girlfriend comes with me, I seriously cant wait to hear the new material live + I guess I will buy the whole merchandise store *saves some money already*..
  • I guess they had some fun with the Piccolos at Notre Dame when they were shooting the vid for "This Too Shall Pass": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wRw9chUmu8

Be sure to watch them shimmy.