In this Discussion

Random Stuff

Comments

OMG I have never been so depressed (about my future) in my life...! I don't know know if it's too early or too late or just the right time to be thinking about this (as I've said before I'm a high school freshman), but looking at Brown's statistics for admittance, it's really bleak. I'm really smart and people even refer to me as "The Human Computer They Never Had," but I definitely have a life.

I don't know about your schools, but here we have a rank system. your average is multiplied by 1.1 for Pre-Ap and 1.2 for AP. Obviously those are harder. And all the points are added up and you're ranked by how many points you have. And I'm only taking 3 Pre-AP classes instead of 4. I make at least a 98 on all my classes, but I'm sure there's someone out there taking 4 Pre-AP classes and making 98's in those.

I really want a good future and I want to become an artist or something great like that. I want to be able to say "I went to Brown or Columbia or insert Ivy League college here." And I'm sorry if I'm boring you or if I didn't explain enough...I just feel really bad.

OMG ur so scared!!! you've got time, its all good. DONT WORRY SO MUCH! and pre-AP classes during ur freshman year?!?! ur crazy! well, im not much older than u (hs junior), and im crying over the fact that i have 4 AP classes. i think that as long as u do good on ur SAT's ur good. oh, and volunteer and maybe try to join some competitions.
  • QUOTE (Vinca15 @ Jan 23 2007, 07:26 PM)
    OMG ur so scared!!! you've got time, its all good. DONT WORRY SO MUCH! and pre-AP classes during ur freshman year?!?! ur crazy! well, im not much older than u (hs junior), and im crying over the fact that i have 4 AP classes. i think that as long as u do good on ur SAT's ur good. oh, and volunteer and maybe try to join some competitions.

Thanks for the advice. smile.gif I don't know, I'm so sorry I'm so nervous and scared, it's just that I've always envisioned myself in my dreams and what not. (Sort of sounded like a line from Bye Bye Baby there. Haha.)

And you're cool. Someday, you're going to grow up to be someone cool. (Not that you aren't.) And just let me know if you decide to take me up on the offer about us being hoboes. My fourth biggest dream. cool.gif

Okay. Time to change the subject.

So...curly fries...?
  • QUOTE (Courtneytastic @ Jan 24 2007, 01:33 AM)
    Thanks for the advice. smile.gif I don't know, I'm so sorry I'm so nervous and scared, it's just that I've always envisioned myself in my dreams and what not. (Sort of sounded like a line from Bye Bye Baby there. Haha.)

And you're cool. Someday, you're going to grow up to be someone cool. (Not that you aren't.) And just let me know if you decide to take me up on the offer about us being hoboes. My fourth biggest dream. cool.gif

Okay. Time to change the subject.

So...curly fries...?

AWESOME! i love curly fries. and i know im cool, I'M AWESOME!!! j/k but yeah i toot my own horn, is that what they say???? and of course, if stanford and pepperdine turn me down, we can be hoboes until some nice soul decides to clean us up and get us minimum wage jobs!
  • I don't know much about the American high school curriculum, but I'm sure your chances of getting into Brown won't be affected significantly because of your freshman year. smile.gif Don't worry about it too much! (If freshman and sophomore year were significant, I'd have no chance of getting in ANYWHERE. Rofl. I had a bit too much fun in my first two years...)

Curly fries are pretty good, but I think I like regular fries better. With sour cream and cajun... mmm~
  • aw courtneytastic don't stress too much now! you're only a freshman!! junior year is the time to stress out cuz thats like the year from hell! but yea like everyone else said, you'll be okay because freshman year doesn't matter that much as long as you have good grades.. missing that one pre-AP class is really not a big deal.. just take AP classes when u get to them and try really hard to do well in those.. and then yeah extracurriculars and SATs and all that are important too! don't stress too much because you have A LOT OF TIME.. u have no idea how much i wish i could go back and do high school all over again.

oh yea and curly fries are awesome! cool.gif
  • EDIT: screw it.
    i'm happy.
  • QUOTE (Courtneytastic @ Jan 24 2007, 01:29 AM)
    OMG I have never been so depressed (about my future) in my life...! sad.gif I don't know know if it's too early or too late or just the right time to be thinking about this (as I've said before I'm a high school freshman), but looking at Brown's statistics for admittance, it's really bleak. I'm really smart and people even refer to me as "The Human Computer They Never Had," but I definitely have a life.

I don't know about your schools, but here we have a rank system. your average is multiplied by 1.1 for Pre-Ap and 1.2 for AP. Obviously those are harder. And all the points are added up and you're ranked by how many points you have. And I'm only taking 3 Pre-AP classes instead of 4. I make at least a 98 on all my classes, but I'm sure there's someone out there taking 4 Pre-AP classes and making 98's in those.

I really want a good future and I want to become an artist or something great like that. I want to be able to say "I went to Brown or Columbia or insert Ivy League college here." And I'm sorry if I'm boring you or if I didn't explain enough...I just feel really bad.

Dude. If you're a frosh and taking pre-AP classes and you're that smart, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Also, colleges like that whole "well-rounded" thing, so just being a brainiac isn't necessarily going to get you in. Having a life = good.

And besides, if in three years, you don't get in, well screw them. Or work your ass off in your first year of college and reapply.

(I don't like how there's so much pressure on high schoolers to get into the "right" college on the first try. Sometimes it doesn't work like that. Kids, don't worry if you have to do a little trial and error. It's okay.)
  • "Find him, bind him
    Tie him to a pole and break
    His fingers to splinters
    Drag him to a hole until he
    Wakes up naked
    Clawing at the ceiling
    Of his grave
    *sigh*"
  • eh, I don't wanna think about all that.

my school is too poor/stupid/dark-ages to have "pre-AP" classes

but now I'm doing course selection for next year (senior year) and worrying about how many APs I have... it's not fun.
    a lot of kids took two APs this year, but I only took one, and I'm prolly taking four or five next year, so I'm not gonna have as many as a lot of other kids. (well, not a lot, but a decent number...)
    and there's not a lot of choices at my school, and I dunno if I want to take AP Gov or not, and it's really confusing and stuff. cause I'm definitely in AP Latin, AP English, and AP Calc. I have to decide between AP Physics, Chem, or Bio, too. and I still need room in my schedule to do Orchestra and Wind Ensemble...

I don't know what the schools I'm thinking of want, either...gah. It's pretty bad. thankfully I'm not looking as high as Brown (unless something changes, that is... I've heard that it's THE hardest Ivy League to get into nowadays. Cornell is apparently much more manageable...)

so, in general, I sympathize. I'm trying not to worry about it too much, and just do whatever I think I can handle, but its still pretty dumb.
  • OMG YOU KIDS NEED TO NOT TAKE SO MANY AP'S!

I took three my senior year, and I got into Smith. I think taking any more than three or four is ridiculous, honestly.
  • but all you need is to be a lesbian to get into smith right?
  • QUOTE (agentnumone @ Jan 24 2007, 09:53 PM)
    "Find him, bind him
    Tie him to a pole and break
    His fingers to splinters
    Drag him to a hole until he
    Wakes up naked
    Clawing at the ceiling
    Of his grave
    *sigh*"

BOOM chch BOOM chch BOOM chch BOOM chch

Oh Mariner's Revenge Song
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Jan 25 2007, 12:09 AM)
    but all you need is to be a lesbian to get into smith right?

Ha ha. You're so witty.
  • Thanks for the advice, everyone. smile.gif I don't know why I suddenly got so worried, but that's just me. I've wanted to go to Brown since the beginning of my "conscious" life, and now being an OK Go fan, that desire is so much stronger.

I like curly fries the best; they just have that kind of flavor.

QUOTE (Vinca15 @ Jan 23 2007, 07:56 PM)
    AWESOME! i love curly fries. and i know im cool, I'M AWESOME!!! j/k but yeah i toot my own horn, is that what they say???? and of course, if stanford and pepperdine turn me down, we can be hoboes until some nice soul decides to clean us up and get us minimum wage jobs!

I truly feel sorry for hoboes, though. However, some of them are just junkies asking for money to support solely their alcohol/drug addictions. ohmy.gif Once, there was a hobo with those traditional "I need money" signs at a stoplight, and we were going to give him money, but the light turned green. A good twnety minutes later, when we were heading back the other way, we saw the same man, drinking BEER. ohmy.gif Sad, sad, sad.

In the same sense, if you're ever a hobo, don't make funny signs! There was a homeless man who had this sign that said: "I had the key to success but someone changed the lock." I don't know aobut you, but my dad found it HILARIOUS and, in his laughing fit, forgot to give the man money, and the light turned green.
  • ^^^HAHAAH

that happened to me too. we were going to give him some money, but the light turned green. poor guy.

AP Calc. I have to decide between AP Physics

OMG i have both those classes. they're horrible!!
    ugh! stupid newton and riemann and their dumb thingys.
    but u know what, i have a b for both and i barely do any work. ima lazy mo fo.
  • you don't need AP courses to get into a good college. It's pretty much a scam. dry.gif
  • ^^^
    WHAT?!?!?!

well then i just wasted so much of my time
  • i got kicked out of the library today =(
    and i was doing my project too!!!
    cause my group was too loud...
    but we were practicing our script
    so no fair...
  • i really hate this topic about getting into good colleges cuz then i keep thinking about those rejection letters i got last spring...........
    oh and vinca15 ur totally not wasting your time.. and get an A in one of those unless you're a senior and your apps are in and its second semester so it doesnt matter.. but pass as many AP exams as you can.. cuz then u have loads of credits when you start college.. because of that i will most likely be able to graduate in three years! hooray
    oh and i hate hobos.. i guess im sorta conservative when it comes to that stuff.. i think they should get a freakin job and stop wasting tax money.
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Jan 24 2007, 06:21 PM)
    BOOM chch BOOM chch BOOM chch BOOM chch

Oh Mariner's Revenge Song

YES!

I've become obsessed with that Decemberist album and that song... Ah I'm so late...

I love how all thier songs are like old school ballads.

The Barrow Boy gets me every time.

Ha I love my Sound and Moving Images Library... So much good stuff... from 80s German Electro, to modernday Indie rock ballads...

LE SIGH!