In this Discussion

Random Stuff

Comments

• QUOTE (toiletdog @ Jan 15 2008, 05:29 PM)
    Yep! Re: they can definitely remove them. It requires a lot of drilling (depending on how big they are), but it is worth it to look into a pretty mouth. smile.gif

It didn't really hurt as much as it was uncomfortable. All you hear is this loud "WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" as they drill for an eternity. If you feel like getting Novocaine, it doesn't hurt in the least. I refused, however, and it only hurt when they had finally drilled all of the silver and they reached tooth, not to mention the air hitting the hole SUCKS. But it is really great having teeth that are all one color.

SOLD! Thanks smile.gif
  • QUOTE (toiletdog @ Jan 15 2008, 02:27 PM)
    100%. I have had so many, many, uh, MANY fillings done (sweet teeth) to know all about that blue light. I had a suspicion.

Crest White Strips have actually been really good to me, but I was not sure if BriteSmile would really bring out the shine. Strips only whiten so much and I wasn't sure if BS would do more. Damn. The home bleaching was TERRIBLE. When I first had it done, they didn't make the plastic trays but FOAM ones. The bleach was so acidic that the trays were worthless a few days later, when the bleach ate through them. I tried it again with plastic, and I saw almost no result. I know if I had you for a dentist, I would have Damian teeth. biggrin.gif

It is a good thing that most people won't see the back of my teeth. I had a crown put in about the same day (sensitivity) and it is, er, slightly whiter than the rest. It looks really funny. At least I don't have anymore silvers. Not that they could have been seen unless you were looking anyway......

By the way, do you normally ASK your patients if they desire Novocaine? I was having the fillings put in and my dentist's son (who only recently went into practice) just grabbed the syringe and instantly became stab-happy. I had to push him away and say "Listen, I have had so much dental work; I do not require numbing." He could have at least warned me beforehand. Hrrumph.

Oh, and I am sorry if you don't want to talk about dentistry, especially since, you know, you are becoming a dentist. Feel free to shut me up.

Lol, I don't mind talking dentistry like this. I love to give advice to people about it. I just don't want to bore you all. I would almost start a website, but then I would run into crazys who would want to sue me or hold me to some sort of advice. Maybe I should start a dental thread lol. There's a difference between home bleaching and professional home bleaching. There are box sets you can buy in the grocery store with trays to do your own bleaching. This is known as home bleaching The bad part is, those trays are not custom made for your own teeth. Professional home bleaching is actually done by a dentist. The dentist takes impression of your teeth and makes trays that are custom molded to your teeth. The trays are made out of a clear flexible plastic. This is meant to help limit gum irritation because if the trays are custom made to your teeth, the bleach can be put on the teeth and avoid the gums. You then take the trays home and bleach on your own for 2 weeks. Bleaching can also be done in a dental office without the BriteSmile technique. I really don't believe in BriteSmile. The chemical hydrogen peroxide removes stains from within your teeth to give you a lighter shade. UV light does little to nothing to lighten teeth. However, the UV makes patients think that something has happened. It's more about psychology. In any case after bleaching, your teeth can be sensitive. BrightSmile can make your teeth even more sensitive, ironically. Sometimes fluoride treatmen can help reduce tooth sensitivity. Your dentist can apply fluoride or you can try using ACT mouthwash (a special mouthwash that contains fluoride).

Aww, about the novocaine. I think it's just second nature to assume the patient wants it. But I have had patients who didn't want it and were fine. I had one who didn't want it and it was terrible. So I've learned you just have to ask the right questions and let the person know ahead of time what you intend to do. Some patients really don't want novocaine because they are comfortable even without it. Some patients don't want it because they're scared of needles but really do need to be numb.
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Jan 15 2008, 02:31 PM)
    Whoa, they can actually remove those fug silver fillings? I hate mine, I've always wanted the white ones. Did it hurt?

Yes, silver fillings (aka amalgam fillings) can be taken out an replaced with white fillings (aka composite fillings).

It does not hurt. The dentist numbs the tooth (that means needles). The dentist takes out the old silver filling. Then the white filling is placed.

Pros and Cons to having silver fillings replaced with white:

It costs money. It will cost whatever price your dentist charges for a white filling.

Silver fillings last longer than white fillings. However, today's white fillings have a pretty good track record. They are now close to silver fillings in longevity. If you grind your teeth, white fillings will wear out faster. Think of it as your teeth grinding against metal (silver filling) versus your teeth grinding against plastic (white filling).

Silver fillings sit in a tooth and use the tooth to hold it in place. White fillings bond to the tooth and sort of hold the tooth together more.

You may feel sensitive after having a silver filling replaced to white. However, this usually goes away within a few weeks (4-6 weeks).
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Jan 15 2008, 03:50 PM)
    I had a filling done back in the day and all was well.

But since I've had it done, whenever I bite down on something tough (like an apple skin), it hurts.

TEMPE. I NEED YOUR EXPERT ADVICE. My dentist at home says the filling probably just needs to be filed down. I called the campus dentist, but I think that I have to wait a couple of months for an appointment (?!?). It doesn't hurt normally and I can even chew on it from time to time, it's just uncomfortable.

Yes, it sounds like your filling is a little high and needs to be filed down in that spot. Constantly biting down on that high spot irritates the ligaments that hold your tooth into your jaw. The ligaments around the tooth are like a little trampolene that acts as a shock absorber when you bite down. When there is a high spot in a filling, the ligaments that hold your tooth in your jaw get irritated and the irritation is felt by you as pain.

Wow, so cool that you have a campus dentist! If you really want to get in earlier, come in as an emergency patient. Tell them you recently had a filling done and now when you bite down it really really hurts. Those are all clues that there is a highspot in the filling. The dentist will not attempt anything rash (like a root canal) without doing something simple first, like check if the filling is too high. It's very very easy for a dentist to adjust. It requires no novocaine.
  • Wow! You really should start a website, you've got me all interested in this. So how do they take the silver filling out?
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Jan 15 2008, 06:56 PM)
    Wow! You really should start a website, you've got me all interested in this. So how do they take the silver filling out?

Lol, wow, I can get really detailed if you want. So here goes:

If it has been awhile since you have been to the dentist, they will start off getting new x-rays, doing an exam to check for new cavities or other oral problems, and then if time permits give you a cleaning. The dentist uses current x-rays to make sure there is nothing otherwise wrong with the tooth. Replacing the silver fillings with white ones will then be done at another visit or a few visits (if there are several teeth that will be worked on).

Anyway, here's the actual process of changing a silver filling to a white one:
    The dentist gives you an injection to numb the tooth (in other words a shot). Some dentists use a rubber dam, which is a piece of rubber placed over the mouth so that only the tooth to be worked on is exposed. The rubber dam would be placed next if the dentist chooses to use one. Then the dentist uses the drill to take out the silver filling. There will be a lot of noise coming from the drill and from the assistants suctioning machine. There will also be a lot of water spraying from the drill.

After the silver filling is removed, the dentist checks for and removes any underlying new decay. (Sometimes old fillings can get leaky and new underlying decay can develop). The dentist then goes thru the steps of placing the white filling.

1. A blue sort of mush is used to clean the tooth. The blue mush is called etchant. It comes out of a little syringe. Patients often confuse it for a needle, but it's just a little tube that the blue stuff is squeezed out of.

2. Then the blue is washed off. A special bonding agent is placed and cured with a blue UV light.

3. The dentist then gradually places white filling material and cures it with the blue UV light along the way.

4. Finally, the dentist uses the drill to polish the filling, takes off the rubber dam, and has you bite down to check for high spots. High spots in the filling are dusted off with the drill as well.

Wow, I didn't realize how interested in dentistry you guys might be. I thought I was a dork whenever I brought up dental stuff. Lol, thank you for appreciating me. wub.gif
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Jan 15 2008, 09:16 PM)
    Wow, I didn't realize how interested in dentistry you guys might be. I thought I was a dork whenever I brought up dental stuff. Lol, thank you for appreciating me. wub.gif

Well, I think we're all a little dorky. laugh.gif

Seriously though, I agree with Kay. You could be some sort of Dear Abby of Dentists.
  • So cool! So the actual removal part - does the drill sort of blast away at it and it comes out in smaller pieces?
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Jan 15 2008, 08:11 PM)
    Seriously though, I agree with Kay. You could be some sort of Dear Abby of Dentists.

Aww, well, I have no idea how to make a website. Maybe a myspace made especially to answer dental questions for teens/young people (as I'm not very fond of old people)? Eventually, when I have more connections, it could evolve into a website laugh.gif

Best line ever said by Simon Cowell: "You know what? You remind me exactly of a nightmare I had last week."

QUOTE (mixtape @ Jan 15 2008, 08:21 PM)
    So cool! So the actual removal part - does the drill sort of blast away at it and it comes out in smaller pieces?

Yes, exactly so!
  • all this dental talk gave me the urge to floss...
    i think i'm gonna put a dental floss pocket in the purse i'm working on...
  • My cat has really bad gas. Ew.
  • I need a new laptop.
    Sould I et a Macbook?
  • QUOTE (amberdino @ Jan 16 2008, 06:23 AM)
    I need a new laptop.
    Sould I et a Macbook?

yes yes yes yes yes

you can get software to install a windows computer onto the macbook, so you get the best of both worlds!
  • Getiing a Macbook was the best decision I have ever made. Totally worth it in so many ways.
  • i burnt my tongue this morning... it's still throbbing... damn me and my impatientness!

and yes. get a macbook. it is far superior to anything else out there. it's so portable and light. and you can get it in black or white!!
    (whoa that rhymed)
  • i want one.... i wanted to get one with the prize money if i won this design contest.... but alas I didn't win... *sigh*

someone buy me one. please!
  • yo mel. i just added you on myspace...and, YOU LIKE THE TREWS?!?!?!?!?!?! smile.gif

p.s
    Sophia: Oh Dorothy, I'm glad you're home!
    Dorothy: Hi Mom
    Sophia: Do you have a minute?
    Dorothy: Yes, what do you need?
    Sophia: Great. Crochet me a scarf
  • Holy crap I'm in Quit Your Dayjob's Top Friends on Myspace. My head might explode.
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Jan 16 2008, 06:02 AM)
    yes yes yes yes yes

you can get software to install a windows computer onto the macbook, so you get the best of both worlds!

QUOTE (Beasle @ Jan 16 2008, 06:11 AM)
    Getiing a Macbook was the best decision I have ever made. Totally worth it in so many ways.

QUOTE (katieyellow @ Jan 16 2008, 08:37 AM)
    i burnt my tongue this morning... it's still throbbing... damn me and my impatientness!

and yes. get a macbook. it is far superior to anything else out there. it's so portable and light. and you can get it in black or white!!
    (whoa that rhymed)

QUOTE (agentnumone @ Jan 16 2008, 08:47 AM)
    i want one.... i wanted to get one with the prize money if i won this design contest.... but alas I didn't win... *sigh*

someone buy me one. please!

wow tanks uys.
    Im probably onna et one tis weeken! yaaay.
    smile.gif