In this Discussion

Conversation about movies

Comments

• QUOTE (countrykicks @ Jun 24 2006, 04:00 PM)
    i will be seriously annoyed if i am true in saying that noone has yet spoken of the genius of Donnie Darko (i'm sorry if someone has and i missed them out), now, that is a GOOD film. not only does it has the hotness of mr. gyllenhal, it actually makes you think, alot, and hard,

others i think are pretty hot are, city of god, the motorcycle diaries, etre et avoir, mean girls (< maybe and odd one to pick but 'do not have sex, have sex and you will die' is properly funny, ) also funny, is Wayne's World, and then i like all those wintry night ones like, labyrinth, narnia, the harry potters, and others i can't think of at this very moment

donny darko hurts me brain
  • the good way or the bad way?
  • I love Donnie Darko--it has such an amazing soundtrack also. And Batman Begins is definitely the best Batman movie ever made. It is sooo good.
  • QUOTE (countrykicks @ Jun 24 2006, 05:00 PM)
    i will be seriously annoyed if i am true in saying that noone has yet spoken of the genius of Donnie Darko (i'm sorry if someone has and i missed them out), now, that is a GOOD film. not only does it has the hotness of mr. gyllenhal, it actually makes you think, alot, and hard,

Holy God, how could I forget it????
    Donnie Darko is one of the best movies I've ever seen and I really want to buy the DVD (to see it as many times as I want biggrin.gif ).
    Yes, it makes you think a lot and I like that everyone can give it a personal interpretation. Everyone can see what happens in a different way, I mean, has Donnie made a voyage in the past or in the future? Who knows? I don't know if I've explained myself very well... unsure.gif

Anyway, another really good movie with Mr Gyllenhaal is Brokeback Mountain (also Heath Ledger is great).

What about funny movies? Has anyone ever seen Kung-fu Hustle or Shaolin Soccer?
  • I didn't really like Brokeback Mt. I thought the cinematography was great, but to me it didn't live up to the hype at all.

I also love pretty much every Johnny Depp movie ever made, especially Pirates, Edward Scissorhands, Benny and Joon, and Don Juan de Marco.
  • kudos to whoever said motorcycle diaries. gael garcia bernal is a tastycake, even whilst being a transvestite or uncelibate priest. have any of you seen his latest one, the king?
  • QUOTE (QueenofthePosers @ Jun 24 2006, 07:45 PM)
    I also love pretty much every Johnny Depp movie ever made, especially Pirates, Edward Scissorhands, Benny and Joon, and Don Juan de Marco.

I think that Johnny Depp is one of the best actors ever. He is always great, whatever he does.
  • QUOTE (Mad @ Jun 24 2006, 06:34 PM)
    Holy God, how could I forget it????
    Donnie Darko is one of the best movies I've ever seen and I really want to buy the DVD (to see it as many times as I want biggrin.gif ).
    Yes, it makes you think a lot and I like that everyone can give it a personal interpretation. Everyone can see what happens in a different way, I mean, has Donnie made a voyage in the past or in the future? Who knows? I don't know if I've explained myself very well... unsure.gif

Anyway, another really good movie with Mr Gyllenhaal is Brokeback Mountain (also Heath Ledger is great).

What about funny movies? Has anyone ever seen Kung-fu Hustle or Shaolin Soccer?

ive only seen DD once

i need to watch it again in the hope that it makes some sort of sence

i know the fat man you see 3 times holds a big part in it...so said the creature in a 3am inverveiw i think i saw once...maybe
  • I love Battle Royale. the first time i saw it was last summer when i was in Japan, and i saw it with my host sister, she translated for me.
    then i saw it with english subtitles like a month after i came back and i love it. did you know american filmmakers are going to remake it? that's going to be a wreck. I didn't like the second one.

I liked Donnie Darko a lot. i remember after i saw it I wrote this crazy long blog entry on msypace about it, asking questions and such and my friend who is obsessed with the film explained stuff. it was cool.
  • I was told about battle royale before I saw it, and it was hyped so much that i was disappointed when i finally saw it. It was kind of cheesy.

My favorite movie is Defending Your Life, it's hilarious.
  • Has anyone seen Hedwig and The Angry Inch?

I love it, but I was watching it again last night and i remembered how much i love "Origin of Love" the first time i heard it was a cover by rufus wainwright and I thought it was the most brilliant thing ever, and i still do like his version better because of the arrangment, but it gave me a better appreciation of the orginal.
  • QUOTE (Jellobomb @ Jun 25 2006, 03:35 AM)
    I love Battle Royale. the first time i saw it was last summer when i was in Japan, and i saw it with my host sister, she translated for me.
    then i saw it with english subtitles like a month after i came back and i love it. did you know american filmmakers are going to remake it? that's going to be a wreck. I didn't like the second one.

I liked Donnie Darko a lot. i remember after i saw it I wrote this crazy long blog entry on msypace about it, asking questions and such and my friend who is obsessed with the film explained stuff. it was cool.

holy shit they arent are they?

*cries with rage*

QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Jun 26 2006, 06:44 PM)
    I was told about battle royale before I saw it, and it was hyped so much that i was disappointed when i finally saw it. It was kind of cheesy.

My favorite movie is Defending Your Life, it's hilarious.

what film isnt cheesy these days?
  • True, but I think goes more for Asian movies, especially Japanese and Indian (India is in Asia, so it's Asian). Bollywood is fun, but Japanese, dude, it's just nuts.
  • thats why everyone loves the jap films, most the time they are amazing for there cheesy over the topness

also this thread needs more ichi the killer

ive never seen it but i hear it is so nasty it can turn a gay man stright...not that theres anything wrong with that

oh and in before anyone makes a "well you should watch it then LOL" joke
  • QUOTE (countrykicks @ Jun 24 2006, 11:00 AM)

others i think are pretty hot are, city of god, the motorcycle diaries, etre et avoir, mean girls (< maybe and odd one to pick but 'do not have sex, have sex and you will die' is properly funny, ) also funny, is Wayne's World, and then i like all those wintry night ones like, labyrinth, narnia, the harry potters, and others i can't think of at this very moment

Donnie Darko is definitely awesome. I don't know if it makes my list of favourite favourites, but it's definitely a movie I'd watch a bunch of times.

Mean Girls is a reeeeeally good movie. I was surprised. If you haven't seen it yet, ignore the fact that it's LiLo and see it already. I really love Rachel McAdams, she's amazing.

I really can't stand the Harry Potter movies. Except for PoA. That one was actually decently done. Not perfect. But pretty good for not being perfect. Also, I LOVE Gary Oldman. I didn't really appreciate how awesome he is as Sirius, even if he is too old for the role (I think Christian Bale would have made an incredible Sirius Black), until I started watching a bunch of his other films and realised that he's such a great character actor.

QUOTE (QueenofthePosers @ Jun 24 2006, 01:45 PM)
    I didn't really like Brokeback Mt. I thought the cinematography was great, but to me it didn't live up to the hype at all.

Brokeback was good and it's groundbreaking and beautifully shot and well-directed, but you're right. It didn't live up to the hype. It kind of...well...redundant after a while. I feel kind of bad saying it, but I'm really glad it didn't win Best Picture. Best Director, yes. But I think Best Picture should have gone to Good Night and Good Luck. That movie was AMAZING. Just the way it was shot- you always felt like you were in the room. I got so nervous that I started having an anxiet attack for the characters, haha. If a movie can do that to you, then you know it's got something good going on. And I love the black and white. Love it.

So I just watched The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou, and it pretty much fucking rocked. It was offbeat, quirky, odd, hilarious, and touching. I seriously adore Willem Dafoe. And Owen Wilson is fucking hot with that southern accent. And the Bowie songs in Portuguese certainly don't hurt. Definitely give it a watch if you haven't already. I think it's my new favourite movie. biggrin.gif
  • Willem Dafoe is awesome!! I never saw that movie, but he's good in everything. I know one of his cousins....

I think Rachel McAdams is gorgeous. She has the best hair and she's so cute.

I saw a teaser trailer for Spiderman 3 today and I'M SO EXCITED!!!! I can't wait a whole year for that, it actually looks really good.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Jun 27 2006, 01:36 AM)
    So I just watched The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou, and it pretty much fucking rocked. It was offbeat, quirky, odd, hilarious, and touching. I seriously adore Willem Dafoe. And Owen Wilson is fucking hot with that southern accent. And the Bowie songs in Portuguese certainly don't hurt. Definitely give it a watch if you haven't already. I think it's my new favourite movie. biggrin.gif

BAH! I love that movie! Very much crazy and amazing. Bill Murray rocks major sockage.
  • I watched Mirrormask yesterday and am still forming my thoughts on it. I was completely blown away by some of the imagery, but the plot left much to be desired. Anyone esle seen it?
  • I've just realized that a copy of Pretty In Pink has been sitting on my shelf for like, six months and I still haven't watched it. Should I? Like tonightish?
  • only watch pretty in pink if you're emotionally prepared to be REALLY disappointed!