In this Discussion

New video and new single

Comments

• QUOTE (nostabenitsirhc @ Feb 14 2007, 09:23 PM)
    do you think they'll let us know what parts are them and which arent?

That's the best part of not being non-identifiable. Dan could say that he was the one who did the back flip on the pogo stick and we would never know. I agree with most of what has been said on this board. When I first watched it I didn't know what to think except to watch it again. It grabs you're attention because it is different. I also agree that the song doesn't fit well with certain parts of the video. You have a great song and a great video, but together it's kind of off. Where the band was playing on their paisley instruments was where I felt that the video was flowing well with the song. I thought it was very interesting and I want to keep watching it over to find things that I've missed. I felt scared, happy, confused, and entertained at the same time.
  • QUOTE (Angela87 @ Feb 15 2007, 02:07 AM)
    That's the best part of not being non-identifiable. Dan could say that he was the one who did the back flip on the pogo stick and we would never know. I agree with most of what has been said on this board. When I first watched it I didn't know what to think except to watch it again. It grabs you're attention because it is different. I also agree that the song doesn't fit well with certain parts of the video. You have a great song and a great video, but together it's kind of off. Where the band was playing on their paisley instruments was where I felt that the video was flowing well with the song. I thought it was very interesting and I want to keep watching it over to find things that I've missed. I felt scared, happy, confused, and entertained at the same time.

thats true about how its great not knowing their faces...but yet id still like ot know.
    everytime i watch it, i find something new. i love it. actually that may be one of the reasons why i like this video. everything seems to blend, but yet things stick out, but you dont always notice it all.
  • I agree with the idea that this video is much less personal compared to their other videos, but thinking about it, I think that was the point. Their goal was to ride the wave of success that they have from the HIGA video but they said they didn't want to try to top their dance videos. So that means they had to catch peoples' attention in a different way and I think this new video did just that. I mean, if I didn't know who OK Go was and I randomly saw this video playing somewhere, I would definitely do a double take because it's completely different and original compared to most music videos. Plus this one is more visually appealing than the other official DWYW video.

I think most of us (including myself) prefer the Tour DWYW video because it does has a more personal aspect. But the thing with this is, only true fans who know about their individual personalities can really appreciate it. It definitely would not appeal to the everyday person who had no idea who these amazing guys were.

So taking all that into consideration, I think this video is still pretty amazing and did a decent job of blowing my mind.

Take it or leave it, that's just my two cents. tongue.gif
  • I think it definitely has some things going for it:

1.) DWYW is catchy. It didn't have *immediate* appeal for me but it does tend to have immediate appeal to most people.
    2.) It's very comical. The fast-motion antics are Beatle-esque, and make me LAFF. The scuttling against the wall, rigid, goofy movements--it's my kind of funny. I imagine it's a lot of people's kind of funny. Their personalities glow through the suits; it's not necessary to see their faces to have a feel for who they are.
    3.) It's better than most videos out there. There are too many grungy boring videos and videos of scantily-clad women grooving to a monotonous beat. This new video will stand out among them and catch attention just for that. It's like a dose of No-Doze that'll likely jolt people out of their passive TV-watching state.

I put myself as best as I could into a non-fan state of mind and I do think this has a good chance of garnering more interest in the band. If I didn't know this was OK Go, or "that treadmill band" as they are to many others, I do tend to think I would want to check them out after seeing this. I really do.
  • (Eleven hours after my last post) After a good night's sleep, I feel slightly less melodramatic about the new video. Damian directed this one right? Well, he's an undeniably intelligent man putting his Art-Semiotics degree to good use here. Hopefully, he will get the response to the video that he is looking for. I do wonder if Banksy was an influence, though.
  • ITS LOADING!!!!

GAH! i didnt watch it yet... i feel like a fool, it was here all along when i was searching MTV canada (which failed) and the rest of the web for it for so long.

edit.. after about waiting 15 min... both of the links decided to die on me. sadness. I guess ill have to wait till i get home
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Feb 15 2007, 01:11 AM)
    Some of you guys loved the vid and some of you didn't. If you didn't like it, you should discuss it here. The lads have a connection w/ their fans and really appreciate informative feedback from the fans. They rely on us for feedback just as much as we rely on them for great music. The two are intertwined you might say. It's great that people like the vid, but you shouldn't feel shy about not liking it either. Ok Go is all about causing a stir and debate amongst it's fans. Damian would want to hear about our opinions. The lads genuinely want to know whether we like what they do musically and why we feel the way we do about the music. Am right, aren't I Mr. Mr. Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore?

I don't think anyone would be as hesitant to talk about the negative aspects if Damian hadn't directed it. I mean, we love him and it was such a pet project and personal thing he was so excited about. So I can understand where people are coming from if they're too shy to openly talk about what they didn't like, I guess.
  • Ahhh I still haven't seen it coz it's not on over here and the links that ihave7stars posted didn't work for me..

But your posts are making me nervous!
    I'm kinda worried I won't like it now.. I thought that turning up to the Grammys with those suits was a little creepy as well, and now I'm excited but also a little nervous about seeing the actual vid!!

Eeeek :S
  • FUUUUUCCCKKKK MTV'S WEBSITE!!!
    I can't also whatch it on the links that ihave7stars has putten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm so curiouuuuuusss!!
  • QUOTE (oknat @ Feb 14 2007, 11:51 PM)
    I think most of us (including myself) prefer the Tour DWYW video because it does has a more personal aspect. But the thing with this is, only true fans who know about their individual personalities can really appreciate it. It definitely would not appeal to the everyday person who had no idea who these amazing guys were.

Yes, yes I definately agree. The tour DWYW video has more of a personal feel because we "know" who OK Go is. The new DWYW video will definately give those who have not yet heard of the band a double take. Others would be interested in the circus entertainment rather than the musical genius but whatever it takes to put OK Go on the map. Same goes for HIGA's treadmill video. Everyone knows them as those treadmill guys not as OK Go. Which I think is sad sad.gif Now they'll be referred to those circus freaks. jk. I hope not. blink.gif

Loved the video itself, and totally love the song, but they don't mesh well. But I guess that's not the point. It's to grab the attention of the unsuspecting viewer. Quoting my nephew when I showed him the video last night, "They're weird". Yes, indeed they are.
  • QUOTE (rocksugar @ Feb 15 2007, 05:36 PM)
    Yes, yes I definately agree. The tour DWYW video has more of a personal feel because we "know" who OK Go is. The new DWYW video will definately give those who have not yet heard of the band a double take. Others would be interested in the circus entertainment rather than the musical genius but whatever it takes to put OK Go on the map. Same goes for HIGA's treadmill video. Everyone knows them as those treadmill guys not as OK Go. Which I think is sad sad.gif Now they'll be referred to those circus freaks. jk. I hope not. blink.gif

Loved the video itself, and totally love the song, but they don't mesh well. But I guess that's not the point. It's to grab the attention of the unsuspecting viewer. Quoting my nephew when I showed him the video last night, "They're weird". Yes, indeed they are.

ok I was nervous...now I'm freaking out!!!I need to see it!
  • I just watched the video, and I've loved them for almost two years, and I'm even confused.

But I LOVED IT.

Some of it reminded me of Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" video.
  • QUOTE (Felster @ Feb 15 2007, 11:27 AM)
    edit.. after about waiting 15 min... both of the links decided to die on me. sadness. I guess ill have to wait till i get home

Try this:
    http://download.yousendit.com/746DCED15F595522
  • QUOTE (ihave7stars @ Feb 15 2007, 05:57 PM)

thank you smile.gif

ahh crap. i don't have the software apparently
    =S

once it's downloaded is there anything i need to do or should it just work when you open it?
  • QUOTE (ihave7stars @ Feb 15 2007, 05:57 PM)

Thank you sooooo much ihave7stars

ok now my opinion about the video...
    blink.gif

I think that smiley says much about it!there's like and overload of information during every second of the video!Don't get me wrong the idea is just great and very original (which are always two factors that I expect from ok go's videos). But there should be just one little second where you don't see any wallpaper...

Some of you here at the forum said that the first DWYW video made you sick because of the camera changes...well this one made me sick because of the huge amout of movement and alwaays the same colours in the screen
    But maybe I just need to get used to it, this was just a first impression
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Feb 15 2007, 06:03 PM)
    thank you smile.gif

ahh crap. i don't have the software apparently
    =S

once it's downloaded is there anything i need to do or should it just work when you open it?

As soon as you download it, just starts playing
  • QUOTE (m_I_a @ Feb 15 2007, 06:13 PM)
    As soon as you download it, just starts playing

*sigh*
    that's what i thought.

i guess il be waiting for it on youtube tomorrow then...
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Feb 15 2007, 06:27 PM)
    *sigh*
    that's what i thought.

i guess il be waiting for it on youtube tomorrow then...

can't you find what is the piece of softwear that you're missing...It's really boring to wait that long
  • lol i know...
    I've been trying to work out what it is
    but it doesnt say

grrr
    im working on it tho
    dont worry tongue.gif
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Feb 15 2007, 06:46 PM)
    lol i know...
    I've been trying to work out what it is
    but it doesnt say

grrr
    im working on it tho
    dont worry tongue.gif

just send me you e-mail by PM and I'll send you the video