In this Discussion

Complaints Thread

Comments

• GRAAAAAAARRRR. Rant time!!

1. Losing a scholarship because of medical circumstances and the school refuses to acknowledge they're legitimate(even though a doctor's note was provided). Which is also technically illegal.

2. Trying to get an appeal for said scholarship, now that my GPA is back up and I qualify for it again, yet the school denies me because they say my doctor didn't provide enough information.

3. Being told I might be able to get it back in Fall if I get another doctor's note, but have passed the deadline to recieve the funds for this past year, as the school didn't respond to me in ample time.

4. Being on the phone with an attorney with the OCR (Office of Civil Rights) for over an hour trying to find out what I can do to either sue the school or do something to get my dang scholarship money. Then finding out I can't use plausible deniability even though the freaking school never told me anything they were required to. What good is having all those rules and regulations with the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and 504 Plan if they aren't helping me when I really need them? geez.

I just want to freaking sue the school, get the scholarship money for the past years I supposedly "lost" it, and move on to a better school. I've already got my freaking degree from there, they just seem to not like me, and want to complicate my life even more.

5. Since my scholarship is lost(or whatever they're calling it), I've had to stop applying for admission at The Art Institute, losing the nonrefundable $150 application fee, as I can't really afford it without that scholarship. So I'm losing even more money for no freaking reason.

And so now I'm having to apply for admission to this other school two weeks before the classes start, and am not even sure if they'll be done with deciding if they want me or not.

FREAKING RIDICULOUS SCHOOL SYSTEM. GODDANG.

No one EVER go to Okaloosa-Walton College. It's HORRIBLE.

Also, finding out my grandparents, who I previously thought were good investors(Donald Trump was a business associate of theirs, for crying out loud) and had oodles of money that I might get when they die, are horrible at lending money to people. Somehow a lady conned my grandfather(who at this point, I think is going senile after hearing all of this) into investing/lending $47,000 into her computer company, then paying only $500 of it back, then declaring bankruptcy, skipping town and refusing to pay back any more of it. Of course, after being taken to court, the judge ruled in favor of her, as she declared bankruptcy(she also set the house she was renting on fire to try to collect insurance money so she's clearly insane), and so my grandparents don't get a cent of their money back. And since she paid back $500 dollars, she can't be federally prosecuted either(some law says that you can't steal money from a Veteran or something). Which is completely unfair that this lady is getting off scot free and old people have to suffer for it. To think that money could go to a better cause, like setting up a trust fund for my brother and I or paying for high cost medical fees to stop my grandmother from going blind(she's already lost sight in one eye), reeeeally just upsets me. And it's not even the fact that I won't be getting the money(I'm not -that- greedy, hah), it's that the system lets thieves get away and makes the innocent suffer.
    And with the money they do have left, most of it is helping my aunt pay for the house she's trying to sell in Las Vegas(which has been on the market for over a year, which is weird, as it's got a great view and it's a huge house in a nice area), which her asshole of an exhusband stupidly kept refinancing and took out a second mortgage on. How the in the world anyone could pay $3500 a month to keep the house without working 12 jobs puzzles me. Technically she's only supposed to be paying a few hundred and her jerk exhusband is supposed to be paying the rest, as he wants the house(which is currently empty, but all of the utilities have to be on and paid for each month), but he decided not to pay it last month and now my grandparents have to foot the bill so my aunt doesn't get in trouble.

I've come to the conclusion that my family shouldn't be allowed to handle money any more. Except for me, as all I seem to do is save it.

After seeing the commercial for the new White Stripes album, I feel a little better, but I've decided that getting older is too much of a hassle. There's too much responsibility and you have to sign your life away just to be able to buy something and I think I'm just going to live in a cardboard box under a bridge so then I can save all of my money for when I grow old, as I'm sure they won't have medicare or social security at that point. FREAKING DANG.
  • Aw, Katie, thanks. I'll try to block it out, but I really can't walk to the rink. tongue.gif Or drive. But I'm sure you'd make a good photographer. I mean, it's not at all unrealisitc. Some photgraphers make a lot of money, and if you don't, well, maybe you're just like me: the type of person who doesn't care that she has lots of clothes, etc., as long as she's doing something she loves. Good luck with your dreams. Are you taking a photography class? Maybe you could ask for something photography-related for your birthday.!
  • Haha, there's another way I relate... I don't have a car... I can drive, I just don't have a car, so I always had to rely on my unreliable parents for something like that... And yes, I am like you. While it'd be nice to have lots of expensive things, I don't need it. If someone likes what I'm doing, just anyone, I'd be super happy.

Oh and I tried. I need a digital SLR... They laughed in my face.

HOWEVER... there is a study abroad program in London next summer, and I'm saving up my pennies for it b/c it's all about photo communication. smile.gif

and like i said, i know its never an easy fix, or there's never an easy solution... but i gotta figure that at SOME point in my life... things are gonna have to go right... at least i hope!
  • I am so so so mad!!
    I hate Apple so much! insert expletives here!
    They're doing a search through P2P's, found out that I had Final Cut, and , through my provider, COMPLETELY CUT OFF MY INTERNET.

And now I'm supposed to delete it and WRITE THEM A LETTER THAT IT'S DELETED and that I won't do it again. And if I don't, they'll cut off my internet again.

God! I already spent close to $1,000 on software back when I was actually buying, but obviously, I no longer have the money. I don't use P2P's for music- only software, and these greedy jerks sell at inflated prices knowing full well most of the people who use them don't have the money. God, I once bought something for $300 at a discount discount- I was like, are you kidding? this is with the discount?

Greedy jerks! I used to feel sorry for Apple for being the pitiful number 2, but you know what? Microsoft would never cut someone's internet!
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Jun 20 2007, 02:56 PM)
    I am so so so mad!!
    I hate Apple so much! insert expletives here!
    They're doing a search through P2P's, found out that I had Final Cut, and , through my provider, COMPLETELY CUT OFF MY INTERNET.

And now I'm supposed to delete it and WRITE THEM A LETTER THAT IT'S DELETED and that I won't do it again. And if I don't, they'll cut off my internet again.

God! I already spent close to $1,000 on software back when I was actually buying, but obviously, I no longer have the money. I don't use P2P's for music- only software, and these greedy jerks sell at inflated prices knowing full well most of the people who use them don't have the money. God, I once bought something for $300 at a discount discount- I was like, are you kidding? this is with the discount?

Greedy jerks! I used to feel sorry for Apple for being the pitiful number 2, but you know what? Microsoft would never cut someone's internet!

This is why I only steal from Macromedia/Adobe.. laugh.gif

But that totally sucks. You can just sign the paper and not actually delete it, as they only catch you if you're sharing the file. ABC has done that to anyone who downloads their tv shows, even though they stream them for free on their site.

The best thing to do is when your p2p program finishes downloading something, stop seeding it immediately.

Or, if you have a spare old computer, do all your downloading on that, then move it to the other computer and if someone magically tries to arrest you or something, you can point out that the computer the program is installed on does not have any p2p programs on it. Just hide the downloading-only computer in a closet or something, haha. That's what I usually do, plus since I have a laptop that overheats easily, my computer doesn't get boggled down with all the running processes and heat up faster as well.
  • QUOTE (katieyellow @ Jun 20 2007, 01:43 PM)
    Haha, there's another way I relate... I don't have a car... I can drive, I just don't have a car, so I always had to rely on my unreliable parents for something like that... And yes, I am like you. While it'd be nice to have lots of expensive things, I don't need it. If someone likes what I'm doing, just anyone, I'd be super happy.
    Oh and I tried. I need a digital SLR... They laughed in my face.
    HOWEVER... there is a study abroad program in London next summer, and I'm saving up my pennies for it b/c it's all about photo communication. smile.gif
    and like i said, i know its never an easy fix, or there's never an easy solution... but i gotta figure that at SOME point in my life... things are gonna have to go right... at least i hope!

In your face? Wow, that's harsh. Are you sure they're your real family? Perhaps you were entrusted to them as an infant (a la Harry Potter)? JK. I don't mean to cause any family separation here. But remember, it's your life, not theirs, and I guess since your parents probably aren't like mine, you could tell them that you're set on your dream, and all they can do is support you. At least your dream isn't what the normal person would consider the good old-fashioned pipe dream.
  • QUOTE (Kikky @ Jun 20 2007, 05:31 PM)

The best thing to do is when your p2p program finishes downloading something, stop seeding it immediately.

oo, thanks, that's a good idea! But does that mean they would only be able to trace it once it's done and seeding or while it's still downloading?

That's brilliant about the second computer though. I don't have a second computer though, except for a thing that's now sitting in the attic- it's about 10 years old, but maybe in this case it's worth reviving.
    QUOTE (Kikky @ Jun 20 2007, 05:31 PM)

But that totally sucks. You can just sign the paper and not actually delete it, as they only catch you if you're sharing the file. ABC has done that to anyone who downloads their tv shows, even though they stream them for free on their site.

That's so ridiculous of ABC to do that when they stream for free- like comedy central taking The Daily Show off youtube. Comedy Central's player absolutely sucks; half the time it skips through whole vids.

But what you said about Adobe- that makes me love Adobe even more.
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Jun 20 2007, 06:12 PM)
    oo, thanks, that's a good idea! But does that mean they would only be able to trace it once it's done and seeding or while it's still downloading?

That's brilliant about the second computer though. I don't have a second computer though, except for a thing that's now sitting in the attic- it's about 10 years old, but maybe in this case it's worth reviving.
    That's so ridiculous of ABC to do that when they stream for free- like comedy central taking The Daily Show off youtube. Comedy Central's player absolutely sucks; half the time it skips through whole vids.

But what you said about Adobe- that makes me love Adobe even more.

They can trace it if you're still downloading it, but if you don't seed it after it's completely downloaded to your computer, they can't see it. They do a search for files with file names that are related to their products, and if they find one on a p2p network, they're allowed to get the ISP to disclose your IP addy and your information. I can't remember which ISPs are contributing their resources and disclosing information, but I know Cox is for sure.

If what you're DL is masked with a different file name, say you're downloading a file named "Cornonthecob.zip" instead of "AppleFinalCutFull.zip," then no one will be the wiser.

My second computer, it's probably got 128kb of memory, it's got Win95 and it's crazy slow. It's at least 8 years old, but I added a few more slave drives to have 100gigs. I've got the IP masked and every time a file is finished downloading, I remove it from the share/seed list. It's kind of an assholey thing to do, as I'm technically just leeching, but I'd rather be an asshole than get in trouble with the cable networks and computer companies.

And I can't even get the Comedy Central player to load! It's totally ridiculous. I really wish Viacom hadn't pulled everything off of youtube, it was basically free promotion for them. If they limited it to their company youtube accounts or something, that'd provide promotion and free vids that they don't even have to host on their own server (that DOESN'T ever load). dry.gif ah geez. complaaaaaaain.
  • you're brilliant!
    so how do you mask the IP?- I only know of using a proxy and I have no idea how that would go through a P2P
    thankees
  • QUOTE (Courtneytastic @ Jun 19 2007, 04:49 PM)
    No, they've never really watched me skating; they drop me off at the rink and pick me up. When my mom was in school, she would stay with me, but she would study. And once, we went skating on my birthday, but for only an hour, and my dad offered some of his "wisdom." Whenh my mom graduated from her nursing program, she promised me she would take me every week; as if that's actually holding up. And whenever they take me skating, it seems like a burden.

I'm so sorry hun. But please, even if it gets really difficult, you deserve to follow what you believe in and what makes you happy; if you don't have that, what DO you have. Please never settle. You know that you're capable and talented so don't let your parents push you away from something you love so much.

Do you have some sort of other mentor who could help you out with this? Someone else who cna help you? An instructor perhaps?

I know this will work out for you; I just hope the path is easier rather than harder.
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Jun 21 2007, 11:23 AM)
    I'm so sorry hun. But please, even if it gets really difficult, you deserve to follow what you believe in and what makes you happy; if you don't have that, what DO you have. Please never settle. You know that you're capable and talented so don't let your parents push you away from something you love so much.

Do you have some sort of other mentor who could help you out with this? Someone else who cna help you? An instructor perhaps?

I know this will work out for you; I just hope the path is easier rather than harder.

Aw, thank you. wub.gif I don't have an instructor, because it's amazingly expensive - the lowest we've found is $22 for half an hour. And even if I find a job, it probably wouldn't help all that much. All I know is that I'll do whatever it takes, eh?
  • QUOTE (Courtneytastic @ Jun 21 2007, 01:00 PM)
    Aw, thank you. wub.gif I don't have an instructor, because it's amazingly expensive - the lowest we've found is $22 for half an hour. And even if I find a job, it probably wouldn't help all that much. All I know is that I'll do whatever it takes, eh?

my flute and cello lessons are like, almost $40 for a half hour, so I can sympathize with that haha. and I'm definitely not going for a career in either, so I'm superglad my parents are willing to pay, because I have to take lessons to be in the advanced ensemble @ school, and I don't know what I'd do if I wasn't in it. although I do get discounts ("scholarships") for my flute lessons through the parents organization, so I don't think it's as much as my cello lessons. but still. I can't be grateful enough to my parents, I can't imagine not having them really truly support me.

I don't know what I'd do if I was in your situation, though. =/ I guess all I can say is that even if it feels like no one else believes in you- we all do, and we always will. =)
  • my favorite tiger just got traded to a national league team far, far away sad.gif
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Jun 21 2007, 12:17 PM)
    I don't know what I'd do if I was in your situation, though. =/ I guess all I can say is that even if it feels like no one else believes in you- we all do, and we always will. =)

Awww....thanks!!! wub.gif wub.gif
  • My best friend, the one I haven't seen or talked to properly in ages, came over with a couple of other friends.
    And it wasn't the same. He took the piss out of me and it wasn't like it usually was. I just couldn't talk to him or joke around with him properly. And it's all weird... argh. I'm not happy sad.gif
  • ^^^ Aw, Electra...that's really sad...maybe you could find a different best friend or have a really serious talk with him.
  • Thanks, Courtney smile.gif
    I think I'll just leave it and move on and accept that we're not as close anymore. There's not much else I can do.
  • ^ It's my pleasure.
  • watching Supernatural right before going to bed is NOT the smartest idea in the whole world...
    esp. not when you're always really paranoid after watching anything remotely frightening. sad.gif

I need to listen to some super-happy music. pronto.
  • ^^ oh no! i've done the same thing!!! i can't stand those shows, especially right before bed =(

i'm the person rolling around on the floor in the middle of the cinema, screaming. well not screaming, but i did cry in Zodiac