In this Discussion

The official Album number 3 thread

Comments

• I think not being a YouTube partner is deliberate. Part of the viral appeal of HIGA is the purity of it... if there are ads people feel like sharing the video is giving in more to a cynical attempt to make money than a visceral instinct to share joy. It feels more personal when you get to present it as "hey look at what these random guys made".

By getting SO big, they've probably made much more out of all the related attention... the iPhone ads, the MTV appearances, the soundtracks. Even the Banana Republic gig in one way or another comes back to HIGA and A Million Ways. And hell, I hope they got money for that awful vitamins advert.

Come to think of it, haven't they done YouTube Live or something on the side with them? That would have been a great time to say to them "look, we've made you a truckload of money and haven't added our own ads; you owe us" and been paid generously for the side appearance.
  • QUOTE (Tapegrl =D @ May 9 2009, 02:11 AM)
    I don't know if I said this before, but I went to Banana Republic a couple weeks ago and asked if I could have their promotional signs they they're done. The lady said there's some weird copyright thing and they have to destroy the signs.

QUOTE (agentnumone @ May 9 2009, 09:04 AM)
    I guess they destroy the signs so OK Go isnt made to endorse something they havent been paid for or want to by someone reusing the signs...

When I worked at Vicky's, we had to destroy the promotional signs after use; I know there, the big thing was these were well-known model's images and we didn't want random dudes with creepy crushes on them obtaining the signs, so I guess in their promotional shoot contracts, they have it written that the signs can't be reused. Or something like that. That made no sense but hopefully you get my point.

Said point being that's pretty standard practice in retail. If you're persistent, maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if they won't let you have them.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ May 9 2009, 06:14 PM)
    When I worked at Vicky's, we had to destroy the promotional signs after use; I know there, the big thing was these were well-known model's images and we didn't want random dudes with creepy crushes on them obtaining the signs, so I guess in their promotional shoot contracts, they have it written that the signs can't be reused. Or something like that. That made no sense but hopefully you get my point.

Said point being that's pretty standard practice in retail. If you're persistent, maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if they won't let you have them.

That's lame, but yeah.. I guess that makes sense they would do that.

Anyway, Skyscrapers sounds totally freaking AWESOME! I mean, in concert I was already like, 'Oh my GOSH!' but then in studio, it sounds rediculously amazing. Now I really can't wait for the rest of the album...er.. The Resistance of the Blue Ray of the Sky and something else? lol I guess I'll get used to that title over time. tongue.gif
  • We'll have to get used to typing TIBRSBCS

correct me if I'm wrong. I can't abbreviate very well, I must say.
  • I gave in and listened to Skyscrapers, but only because it was an actual recording. I'm still not completely sure how I feel about it

QUOTE (Electra @ May 9 2009, 12:08 PM)
    I don't like Prince, which I feel could have some influence on my feelings towards the new songs. Kind of undecided about Skyscrapers right now - I love most of it but there's something about the high-pitchedness that makes me feel uncomfortable, somehow. I haven't quite figured it out yet. Looking forward to hearing more though, I think I'll need to hear the album in its entirety.

I feel pretty much the same way. I'm not sure how I feel exactly about the extreme highness of his voice. I was really surprised. I've listened to it twice. The first time I really wasn't sure if I liked it, the second time I liked it a little more. So, I think it'll probably end up being one of the songs that grows on me.

I guess I'll have to wait for the album though to get an actual opinion on the new sound, cuz slower songs aren't really my thing usually. I love the upbeat faster songs.

QUOTE (Tapegrl =D @ May 9 2009, 02:11 AM)
    btw, listen to Skyscrapers and watch Head Full of Crazy's avatar. It's almost as entertaining as watching HIGA and listening to...[insert random upbeat dancy song].

LOL! That's awesome!!!!
  • http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i84/HFoC/DisgaeaDance.gif

^^^
    a bigger image of the dance, seeing as its so popular..
  • QUOTE (Tapegrl =D @ May 11 2009, 11:57 PM)
    We'll have to get used to typing TIBRSBCS

correct me if I'm wrong. I can't abbreviate very well, I must say.

Honestly? If I can't learn the title I'm gonna call it "The Blue Album". Or maybe just "Blue Light blah blah blah".

Does that make me annoying? Probs.
  • I'd probably just call it Blue. So, no, Rachel, you're not annoying.
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ May 13 2009, 02:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=176845 are two works of absolute powerpop genius. The latter most specifically is one of those songs of which I'll say "MAN I wish I could write a song as good as this" every time I hear it. I've got them both on my iPod, and this afternoon at lunch I was listening to them when something occured to me: put these two songs together and what do you have? This Too Shall Pass (Thank you, Becky, for the video). Hear those epic drum beats under that simple chord structure? The keyboards? Even the lyrics have the flexibility of rhythm (although not to the same extent) that "Cruel to be Kind" has.

I know a bunch of you guys are iffy on this track, but give it a chance and take a listen to the Spacehog tracks - they might give you a better understanding of it.
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ May 13 2009, 12:59 PM)
    Honestly? If I can't learn the title I'm gonna call it "The Blue Album". Or maybe just "Blue Light blah blah blah".

i plan on calling it "not weezers blue album" regardless of whether i can learn the actual title or not...

and in regards to spacehog, loved them when i was 14-16, and still pull out resident alien and the chinese album anytime i'm feeling nostalgic...
  • According to this snippet, album #3 is entitled Help Is on the Way.

Meh.
  • If it really is, I'd really like to know the background behind the name. I don't mind any name they'd pick,really. But they always have an interesting story.
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ May 20 2009, 10:50 PM)
    According to this snippet, album #3 is entitled Help Is on the Way.

Meh.

That's the title they were giving in February as a tentative title. Since then this is the only mention of it. I mean, I could be wrong, but I think that Time Out Chicago is going off outdated information. Granted, I'd prefer Help Is On the Way, I just don't think that the info is right.
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ May 21 2009, 07:33 AM)
    That's the title they were giving in February as a tentative title. Since then this is the only mention of it. I mean, I could be wrong, but I think that Time Out Chicago is going off outdated information. Granted, I'd prefer Help Is On the Way, I just don't think that the info is right.

Time Out Chicago is also talking like they've heard some songs from the new album, which they clearly haven't. I'm sure if they did, they would have referenced Prince in some way or fashion.

I'd much prefer Blue be their new album name, well, the actual longer name Damian said before which I doubt I'll ever remember. So, yeah, Blue. Same number of letters as OK Go and Oh No. Just a thought.

Also, didn't they use "Help Is on the Way" for that Loopt thing with the Kardiac Kids? YouTube is blocked here at work so I can't look it up. But IIRC they did, and then Damian walked in with Help by the Beatles.
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ May 21 2009, 08:49 AM)
    Also, didn't they use "Help Is on the Way" for that Loopt thing with the Kardiac Kids? YouTube is blocked here at work so I can't look it up. But IIRC they did, and then Damian walked in with Help by the Beatles.

LOL, I just checked the vid. Strut asked Baggio to "Bring Help", but when The Badge shows up on Loopt it just says "I'm on Loopt!". I think that's when Strut says "Help is on the way" - no sound at work and all - and Toby gets on his case about what he actually said.
  • Oops, I meant The Badge, not Damian. wink.gif

Weren't Tim and Dan in that one, too?
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ May 21 2009, 11:09 AM)
    Oops, I meant The Badge, not Damian. wink.gif

Weren't Tim and Dan in that one, too?

They were in fact!
  • QUOTE (Electra @ May 9 2009, 10:08 AM)
    I don't like Prince, which I feel could have some influence on my feelings towards the new songs. Kind of undecided about Skyscrapers right now - I love most of it but there's something about the high-pitchedness that makes me feel uncomfortable, somehow. I haven't quite figured it out yet. Looking forward to hearing more though, I think I'll need to hear the album in its entirety.

Agreed. I don't care for Prince, so I will have to wait and listen to the rest of the album before making a decision about it.

Skyscrapers was nice, though.
  • I really don't think I like "Skyscrapers" sad.gif