In this Discussion

The official Album number 3 thread

Comments

• QUOTE (Rebekker @ May 21 2009, 10:35 PM)
    I really don't think I like "Skyscrapers" sad.gif

Believe it or not, it sounds much, much better live. At least I think so.

But I kinda concur that it's channeling a little bit too much Prince. I wish they had chosen a different song to put out there, like "Shooting the Moon" or "White Knuckles". Or even "I Want U So Bad".
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ May 22 2009, 08:44 AM)
    Believe it or not, it sounds much, much better live. At least I think so.

But I kinda concur that it's channeling a little bit too much Prince. I wish they had chosen a different song to put out there, like "Shooting the Moon" or "White Knuckles". Or even "I Want U So Bad".

I agree completely re: it sounding SO much better live. I like the song a lot, but seeing it live makes all the screaming sound less weird and contrived, which is what can happen when you record something like that. I just wish they'd drop the echo in their live show, I don't think it adds much.

Also, I'd like to counter that "White Knuckles" is WAY more Prince-ish than "Skyscrapers." Additionally, note that this is for a compilation entitled City Stories, ergo including a song entitled "Skyscrapers" makes sense.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ May 22 2009, 06:36 PM)
    I agree completely re: it sounding SO much better live. I like the song a lot, but seeing it live makes all the screaming sound less weird and contrived, which is what can happen when you record something like that. I just wish they'd drop the echo in their live show, I don't think it adds much.

Also, I'd like to counter that "White Knuckles" is WAY more Prince-ish than "Skyscrapers." Additionally, note that this is for a compilation entitled City Stories, ergo including a song entitled "Skyscrapers" makes sense.

Okay, I just re-listened to "White Knuckles". I still think I hear more Prince in "Skyscrapers" than "White Knuckles". It's in both, but because of the screaming, it just screams Prince to me. (Pun not intentional, yet it is.) I'm still very iffy on the recorded version of "Skyscrapers", which really makes me wonder what "I Want U So Bad" is gonna turn out like. Will there be more or less orgasm?

And yeah, "Skyscrapers" does fit more in the theme of a City Story. Still, eh.
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ May 22 2009, 09:48 PM)
    Okay, I just re-listened to "White Knuckles". I still think I hear more Prince in "Skyscrapers" than "White Knuckles". It's in both, but because of the screaming, it just screams Prince to me. (Pun not intentional, yet it is.) I'm still very iffy on the recorded version of "Skyscrapers", which really makes me wonder what "I Want U So Bad" is gonna turn out like. Will there be more or less orgasm?

See, I equate the screaming as being "very Damian" as opposed to "very Prince." Maybe it's Prince's influence, but it happened a lot with some of his very Pixies-inspired work.

The screaming in the recorded version is only slightly turned down - he lets go sooner, he doesn't go full-out - which makes sense, because you don't want to be full-on screaming into your listeners' ears. But they could have skipped the screaming altogther and saved it for the live version and they didn't. Point being, if "Want U" is going to be toned down, I think it will only be marginally so. I mean, that's the point of the bridge; otherwise, it's just a bunch of "oh oh oh." Borrrring. In any case, listening to it on the CD is never going to be quite the same as seeing it live.

I dunno', guys. I mean, I don't have anything against Prince, which doesn't seem to be the case with like, 90% of you. I think the new songs sound far more emotional and far more humanised as a whole and, frankly, much more musically interesting. The last thing I, personally, want to hear is another version of Oh No.
  • I basically agree with Katy.

I don't really have any opinions on Prince, I'm neither for nor against him.

Skyscrapers definitely reminds me of Appendices!OkGo and Pixies!OkGo way more than Prince!OkGo. The recorded version really doesn't do it justice compared to the live version, but it's still really great imo.

And I totally agree re: not wanting another Oh No- I love Oh No, of course, and there's a lot of great material on that album, but out of everything they've done, it's not my favorite by any stretch. I love the songs individually, but together it feels too much like they're a straight guitar band, which means it's missing a lot of what I love about them. I think Blue Light or whatever it'll be called will be a great mix of moving forward musically while keeping their roots and their influences, and finding a happy medium between the rawness of Oh No, the overproduced pop of Ok Go, and the experimental side of Appendices. That's what I see it as, anyways, from what I've heard.

I think the new songs sound far more emotional and far more humanised as a whole and, frankly, much more musically interesting.

THIS.
  • I don't know, I mean I realize that that the guys have said that they think the first album is overproduced, but I think it really has the perfect amount of "production" considering the material. Those songs sound so great that way - there's that element of having a "wall of sound" ( not to get all phil spector) but the way it's all layered, compressed, etc. I think it works perfectly for that material. I wish they wouldn't look at it that way!

• What it comes right down to, as far as I think, is that bands grow and evolve over time. Some fans will like the new style and some fans will not, but that's just the way it goes. I didn't like Oh No as much as OK Go the first few times but it grew on me. The same could happen with this CD too. I don't count myself as a huge Prince fan or anything, but White Knuckles is the Princiest for my money - I hear that and I think Little Red Corvette and Jungle Love (which was by Morris Day and The Time, but written by Prince and sounds like he recorded it) - and I LOVE White Knuckles. So I'm going to love this new album if the 7 new songs I've already heard are any indication.

As much as we all love the 2 CDs we already have, we already have them. We can listen to them again. Let's hear something new!
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ May 25 2009, 02:30 PM)
    And I totally agree re: not wanting another Oh No- I love Oh No, of course, and there's a lot of great material on that album, but out of everything they've done, it's not my favorite by any stretch. I love the songs individually, but together it feels too much like they're a straight guitar band, which means it's missing a lot of what I love about them. I think Blue Light or whatever it'll be called will be a great mix of moving forward musically while keeping their roots and their influences, and finding a happy medium between the rawness of Oh No, the overproduced pop of Ok Go, and the experimental side of Appendices. That's what I see it as, anyways, from what I've heard.

QUOTE (DJRose @ May 26 2009, 12:00 PM)
    What it comes right down to, as far as I think, is that bands grow and evolve over time. Some fans will like the new style and some fans will not, but that's just the way it goes. I didn't like Oh No as much as OK Go the first few times but it grew on me. The same could happen with this CD too. I don't count myself as a huge Prince fan or anything, but White Knuckles is the Princiest for my money - I hear that and I think Little Red Corvette and Jungle Love (which was by Morris Day and The Time, but written by Prince and sounds like he recorded it) - and I LOVE White Knuckles. So I'm going to love this new album if the 7 new songs I've already heard are any indication.

Agreeing with both statements 100%.

Okay, so, guys, let's think back to September 2005, yeah? Remember when Oh No dropped? I do. And I remember my first two reactions: 1) "Wow, this is so different from their first record..." and 2) "Wow, this sounds really Franz Ferdinandish..." The second reaction stemming, of course, from my then-joint-obsession with Franz, but also because their debut and Oh No were produced by the same person and there's a certain similarity in sound. (Seriously, listen to those two and The Cardigans' Gran Turismo in a row if you don't believe me.) But on top of that, that searing danerock guitar sound was just very prominent in 2005. Look at what other bands were putting out records that year - Franz, Bloc Party, Maximo Park, a lot of them had a very distinct, very similar sound. Oh No was somewhat a product of its 2005 times, I think.

Anyway, okay. Point is, it was very different, and while most people (myself included) were sort of put off by that at first (my third reaction was "I'm not sure if I liked this"), we mostly got over that and embraced it. But there were a handful of people who didn't, and didn't care for it. It just happens. I have friends who are OK Go fans, who have shared the stage with them, and I know for a fact that, four years out, they still don't like their sophomore effort as much as their debut.

And it'll happen again. With Oh No they picked up a whole new group of "new school" fans, who were drawn to that particular sound and that particular style and now that they're changing it a whole bunch of a new record, there will be, inevitably, those who do not care for it because it's so different from what they know. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm just saying this has happened before, and I'm not surprised.

Two years ago, I was talking to Barry and said that their third record better be hella' good because they don't have gimmicks like "HIGA" to fall back on this time. In Philly, I said to Rachel, "This better be good, or I'll laugh." And you know what? It was. I was pleasantly surprised. Not that I'd doubted them, really, but in the four years since Oh No dropped, I've gotten really really bored with it. At first, I was confused, and then I LOVED it and it was my favourite of the two for a long time, but as time has gone on, I find myself more interested in the genius powerpop of their self-titled. The songs that I didn't necessarily care for when the record first dropped ("It's A Disaster," "The House Wins," "Maybe This Time"), because I was preoccupied with the big hits ("HIGA," "Invincible," "Good Idea," "DWYW"), I now find way more interesting, musically and lyrically. I'm not saying Oh No is a bad record; it's chock-full of fun, individual songs, and it makes a cohesive whole. But it's not standing the test of time as well as I'd expected.

And I've matured in my tastes, and the band has matured in its sound. I guess what I'm trying to say is that everyone has the right to their opinion, and all of our opinions are shaped by different experiences, likes, and dislikes. When it comes down to it, I think, so far, this slew of songs is better, period, and I'm not fussed at all about them leaving the sound of Oh No behind. I said it before, but on a whole, this group sounds more musically interesting, and that's what's going to make a lasting record.

Ugh, sorry about the essay. I'm typing on like I'm posting to my blog or something. If I put this much effort into my Passion Pit review, it'd actually be done by now.

QUOTE (bullshituous @ May 26 2009, 01:36 AM)
    I don't know, I mean I realize that that the guys have said that they think the first album is overproduced, but I think it really has the perfect amount of "production" considering the material. Those songs sound so great that way - there's that element of having a "wall of sound" ( not to get all phil spector) but the way it's all layered, compressed, etc. I think it works perfectly for that material. I wish they wouldn't look at it that way!

Oh, I agree with you. Is it "over"produced? Yes, it's squeaky clean production, but it made the most sense for that slew of songs. The "less" produced, slightly sloppier sound of Oh No made sense for that slew of songs as well. Production quality has to shift as necessary with the material.
  • Ya know, I was really hoping to hear something along the lines of "Unrequited Orchestra of Locomotion" on the new album.
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ May 28 2009, 10:58 PM)
    Ya know, I was really hoping to hear something along the lines of "Unrequited Orchestra of Locomotion" on the new album.

The new album is not the sound of the train.

OHHHIAMSOCORNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(to my credit I'm still at work and I'm not allowed to leave because they might still need me and zomgz I have been here since 7:30am and will have to come back tomorrow at 7:30am and OMFG this sucks, so I can be a little corny and you can all just deal with it - in return you get my love, admiration, and run-on sentences.)
  • wow guys i just read a shit load of replies in this tread.

i didnt even know thier were more songs out there... maybe one of you kind people could msg me with links or something? smile.gif

but yeah.

I know a lot of people cant dig on prince and in all honestly it took me a while to realize his genius. but the man is a genius in my opinion and hes crafted some of the most well produced and interesting songs out there. but yeah...

you shouldnt be offended if okgo is channeling him. kinda feels like some of you are. because no matter how insane he is, he is still a great artist.

same with ok go. thier not going to be singing songs about sex on a plane or wanting to be a girls girlfriend just because thier influenced by prince. they're thier own artists and I think doubting them or looking down on thier artistic choices would be unfair to them at this point.

whatever they do its thier decision and thier concept and thier right. with any new album some fans will be dissapointed.
  • I don't think anyone is offended that Prince is one of OK Go's inspirations for this album. People have simply stated that they're just not that into Prince. They've also said that they're going to wait to listen to the entire album before they make any calls on it.

I can take or leave Prince. Yes, I have some of his music, but it's not high on my list of music I must listen to.

I've heard like 5 or 6 of their new songs and thus far, I like them. And at this point, I could care less who their inspiration is as long as they are making the music that they want to make. If I'm dissapointed in the outcome of this endeavor, tough shit for me I guess.
  • yeah youre right i guess offended isnt the best word. im not great with words as you could see.

substitute dissapointed for offended probably
  • QUOTE (agentnumone @ May 29 2009, 10:28 AM)
    i didnt even know thier were more songs out there... maybe one of you kind people could msg me with links or something? smile.gif

Do you prefer .zips or .rars?
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ May 29 2009, 02:36 PM)
    Do you prefer .zips or .rars?

zips tongue.gif EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

youre rad !
  • QUOTE (agentnumone @ May 29 2009, 10:50 PM)
    zips tongue.gif EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

youre rad !

Is sent, btdubs. Check your message box.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Jun 1 2009, 02:19 PM)
    Is sent, btdubs. Check your message box.

wow youre amazinggggggg

thank you so much !!!!

<3
  • i'll take a zip, please, if you would. i'd like to know what's floating around out there.

thanks!

QUOTE (agentnumone @ Jun 1 2009, 02:37 PM)
    wow youre amazinggggggg

thank you so much !!!!

<3

• QUOTE (Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore @ Jun 2 2009, 04:41 PM)
    i'll take a zip, please, if you would. i'd like to know what's floating around out there.

thanks!

Will do, although it's not anything interesting - just a bunch of YouTube rips of live stuff to tide me over until the record comes out.

ETA: Okay, I tried to msg you, but your inbox is full, so I'll just post it here:

zshare.net/download/607420079c2187dc/

Songs in there are "Back from Kathmandu," "I Want U So Bad," "Last Leaf," the acoustic version of "Shooting the Moon," the electric version of the same song, "Skyscrapers," "This Too Shall Pass" and "White Knuckles."

All of them are YouTube rips from fan videos from shows in March and April. So nothing spectacular, especially in terms of quality, although I tried to find the best versions I could (ie, the ones that sounded the least bad on ear buds).
  • Can this CD come out already? Because I'm *seriously* ready for it to come out. Kthxbai.