In this Discussion

New video and new single

Comments

• QUOTE (nostabenitsirhc @ Feb 15 2007, 05:03 PM)
    Shouldn't it be different? It may not be personal like their other videos, but the fact that they must have had so much fun, and that they were so excited about it, makes up for it.

Yes, they did express great overwhelming enthusiasm about this new dwyw video. And I support whatever direction the boys are willing to take to express their creativity whether it be a nauseating video, a tour video, or a couchsuit-circus-carney-marchingband-guitarmitplaying video. Boys, just don't change your sound and your musical awesomeness.
  • that video is awesomely weird!
  • that video is awesomely weird!
  • I didn't mean to sound really put-down-ish, if I did...I've been thinking, and although I don't like the new video as much as I do the others, it doesn't mean I don't like it. I really like it a lot.

I think the guys did a great job of finding people who are almost as awesome as they are and giving them a chance to be in a music video. Although their faces were masked, that's still pretty awesome to say you participated in a music video for a song by the greatest band in the world. smile.gif
  • Oh man when i saw this video i couldnt help laughing it awsome Im now considering wearing an outfit like that for holloween
  • All I can say, and I thought this when I saw the red carpet pics too, is they've finally completely fucking lost their minds. laugh.gif

I am thinking back fondly on what Dan was saying to me & Jackie about not "appearing" in the video, though--very tricky, Danny

QUOTE (mixtape @ Feb 15 2007, 05:07 PM)
    I've been thinking, and I think my only real problem was the masks. The Entertainment Weekly photo looked like it would have worked better.

Me too.
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Feb 15 2007, 05:07 PM)
    I've been thinking, and I think my only real problem was the masks. The Entertainment Weekly photo looked like it would have worked better.

Of course...the reddish paisley would've so brought out Dan's eyes.
  • All right, I'm going to weigh in. (drum roll....)

I watched the video online today at work, then again on TV (daughter had DVR'ed it for me) after supper tonight.

On the plus side, it was *much* better on a TV screen then in small format online. We all laughed when we glimpsed Tim's glasses over his face mask. The bicycle guy was impressive.

My true impression, though? Simply too gimmicky. I expressed my fear earlier this week on this forum that OK Go was risking being labeled as a novelty act with this video. A good music video will keep at least some of the focus on (duh!) the music, but this one blatantly distracts me from DWYW. I happen to love the song, but to me, the silliness and cut-action jumpiness of the video makes the music seem cheesy by association.

OK, I'm sure everyone will think I'm a grouch. :-) But this is just my opinion. My love for OK Go is strong and true! I think Damian is a genius, and part of creativity is taking risks. This video is a risk. I'd rather have him and the other guys collaborating on video production for the band than turning their souls over to Corporate Music. I'll be interested to see if DWYW (the video) catches on at YouTube and pays off in more single and CD sales.
  • I've seen the video twice on TV now. I like it. I don't LOVE it, because to me the original video fits what the song means to me better, but it's good. And I'll be cheering on the boys if this gives them the attention they deserve.
  • i hate to be a negative... Kelsey. but i hated the video. When I watched it i thought the boys were trying to hard to be different. Matching paisley suits, ok. Matching wallpaper, eh alright. Everyone wearing the same thing, not really digging it. The funky red masks, WTF BOYS. W.T.F.

Im sorry, you all know i love the boys dearly but come on. This was bad. And Im not afraid to tell what I really think of it.
  • QUOTE (lightamatch4me @ Feb 16 2007, 12:30 AM)
    Im not afraid to tell what I really think of it.

Even though I completely disagree with your opinion, I'm really happy that you are giving it, and not hiding it. We need more honesty in this world, and I would think OK Go would appreciate hearing people's real thoughts on the video.
  • I put it on my PDA and showed it to a few people whose opinions I value at work today. They all liked it quite a bit and I don't think they were just being nice. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be the viral hit that HIGA on treadmills was. But that's OK, because those things are like lightning strikes. The video actually fits the song pretty well I think, since all these crazy people are in fact doing what they want. It's actually quite an artistic and daring video, but it doesn't really highlight the band itself, so I wonder at it's overall value to OK Go.

But, I could be wrong.
  • I haven't been to these board in a million years. Anyway...

I've been out of the ok go loop for a while. So I didn't know anything about the suits. And I had completely forgotten about the paisley all over everything ok go. I was watching something about the grammy's but I had the sound turned down. I saw 4 people in horrible suits laying on the ground of the red carpet. I said to my husband, "i really hope that's not ok go." But sadly, it was. I love OK Go. I've been a fan for about 4 years. Love the music tons. Listen to my cds all the time.

But the new video is not my cup of tea. It's interesting. Creative. But as someone else said before, I think it distracts from the song. I love this song so much and it kind of makes the song seem a little cheesy with the video. And that makes me sad. It seems like they are trying too hard to be different or funny or something.

I just hate that OK Go was "the band with the dance video" and then "the band with the treadmill video" and now they'll be "the band with the paisley video."
  • QUOTE (FraggleJill @ Feb 16 2007, 09:48 AM)
    I just hate that OK Go was "the band with the dance video" and then "the band with the treadmill video" and now they'll be "the band with the paisley video."

I know what you mean, BUT I'm not sure it's possible to have it both ways: On one hand, we don't need any more non-descript videos that just blend in with everybody else's. We want something different. And yet when someone does something different, then they're going to stand out for it, and become known as "the band with the _____ video".

As long as they're also recognized for their music--which I think they are; the song A Million Ways while watching the AMW video made me want to actually listen to them--I am willing to put up with them being "That band with the _____ video" at least once in a while, or maybe every other video or so.
  • QUOTE (FraggleJill @ Feb 16 2007, 03:48 AM)

I totally know what you're saying (Welcome back, btw) but at least they're not "Who?".
  • QUOTE (rkpetersen @ Feb 16 2007, 01:20 AM)
    The video actually fits the song pretty well I think, since all these crazy people are in fact doing what they want.

Good point. Very good point.
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Feb 15 2007, 06:07 PM)

Then they would have looked like Zach Braff:
  • QUOTE (nostabenitsirhc @ Feb 16 2007, 05:58 PM)
    Good point. Very good point.

I also agree with it in same way but whenever I see te video, I just keep thinking about "television" and not "do what you want"...
    I don't know why
  • QUOTE (m_I_a @ Feb 16 2007, 01:35 PM)
    I also agree with it in same way but whenever I see te video, I just keep thinking about "television" and not "do what you want"...
    I don't know why

Probably because of the video they play at the concerts while they play "Television, Television"
  • QUOTE (rkpetersen @ Feb 16 2007, 01:20 AM)
    The video actually fits the song pretty well I think, since all these crazy people are in fact doing what they want.

Sorry to quote this again, but after having watched the video at least 20 more times, I realized how well I think the video goes with the song. The people really are doing what they want. Also, I think that it matches up well. Like when that 'lizard' thing is happening-it goes perfectly with the music. So does the hula-hooper, and the thing that Damian (or at) does with his hands, and also the shuffling. All the moves actually. I'm not sure if this is making any sense, but I realized how well I think the song and the video go.
    Alright, I think I'm done adding my two cents for now.