In this Discussion

British/American Translations

Comments

• british/american
    trainers/sneakers
    Jumper/sweater
    i say film for all movies and i'm american. most movies are still shot on film so i mean, i don't know why we wouldn't say film.

cute story about English people. i went to see the Fratellis last night and The Switches were opening up for them. anyway when they were signing autographs and chatting with people at the end a girl came up and asked them to sign her set list 'or rather, your setlist' and she had an english accent. Matt, the lead singer said ' are you english?' and she said ' yeah! i'm from just down the road of you!' and Matt turned to Ollie (adorable guitarist) and goes, 'she's english!' and then all four guys stopped what they were doing at the same time, threw their hands up and said, 'she's English!' and it was pretty much the cutest thing ever.
  • QUOTE (Jellobomb @ Jul 19 2007, 07:56 PM)
    i say film for all movies and i'm american. most movies are still shot on film so i mean, i don't know why we wouldn't say film.

Yeah, I call them films, too. I mean, there are Film Festivals and such.
  • Jammy dodger/Peak Freans (?)

... blink.gif They're those narsty-lookin' things with the red jelly in the middle of a shortbread circle-type cookie thing. Won't post a picture, 'cos I know dear Alice thinks they're revolting, but... y'know. All the british people I know (all 4 of them! hahaha) know what a jammy dodger is, but NOBODY in my area would have any idea what I was talkin' about if I brought it up...
  • Fuck, that one! That was my favourite, I totally forgot. AND THEY ARE DELICIOUS.
  • maybe it's just a northeast US thing? Or maybe just a Boston thing? I dunno, I've just never heard anybody use "film" conversationally.
    Like, "What's that new Robbin Williams film?" or "What's that film with Robbin Williams?" would be really weird.
    Or, "Wanna go see a film?" that would make me go "huh?"
    We do say "Film Festival" and stuff like that, but it's unusual to hear it conversationally. I may just be weird though.
  • maybe i'm justa pretentious fuck, idk, but i say film. i'm from new jersey.
  • QUOTE (Jellobomb @ Jul 19 2007, 08:40 PM)
    maybe i'm justa pretentious fuck, idk, but i say film. i'm from new jersey.

lol! Well, that explains it- NJ is ten times cooler than MA. So don't say "pretentious." Say "awesome." smile.gif
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Jul 19 2007, 06:39 PM)
    jam / jelly though we sometimes uses jam too...I forget when

Jam has seeds in it...
    Jelly doesn't.

QUOTE (Tabetha @ Jul 19 2007, 08:24 PM)
    maybe it's just a northeast US thing? Or maybe just a Boston thing? I dunno, I've just never heard anybody use "film" conversationally.
    Like, "What's that new Robbin Williams film?" or "What's that film with Robbin Williams?" would be really weird.
    Or, "Wanna go see a film?" that would make me go "huh?"
    We do say "Film Festival" and stuff like that, but it's unusual to hear it conversationally. I may just be weird though.

I've heard it, but not that often. I mean, to me movie and film are pretty much interchangeable... but you're right, 'movie' is used more conversationally. It wouldn't phase me if I heard/read 'film', either, though.

oh, and no one's put torch / flashlight yet.
    btw, if flashlights are torches, then what are torches? (like, wood stick on fire) are they just torches too?
    Jammy dodger/Peak Freans (?)

Putting in my 2 cents, they're called Jam Drops here in Australia!
  • Awww Dani, thanks for not posting the Jammy Dodger thing lol! I'm getting over it now tho. Hehe.

We call torches torches. And flashlights torches. But no one ever uses original torches anymore so that's not so confusing.

Otherwise I guess we refer to them as "fire on sticks". We're simple people wink.gif
  • there should be a section devoted to 'posh and becks' seeing as how america and england now have that in common
  • And it's mayjah.
  • Aubergine / eggplant
    Courgette / zucchini
  • Ohh! Aubergine sounds so much prettier!
  • Yeah, that's coz we take the frenchio versions
    But I can never remember it.
  • I just wanted to say how much I *love* this thread. My vocabulary is so very mixed; I use many a Brit word instead of the American version, so it is great to know more I can say (and confuse the hell out of people who have no clue). wub.gif
  • there should be more stories here of chavs stealing your 'mobile', cause i hear thats what they do, and egt pregnant.
  • fit/hot

(as in describing someone)

trolley/shopping cart

I know someone did jam/jelly, but did anyone do jelly/Jell-O?

piss/shove off/fuck off

Anybody want to explain to me what "get in" means?

I have two rather more vulgar ones....

I did the pants vs. trousers thing at Jen's place one time. I said that I hadn't been wearing pants the night before, and she looked at me and said, "I hope you were wearing pants last night, that was a really short skirt!" Or something like that.
  • The British/American varied meanings behind the word "fanny" have always struck me us funny and prone to creating many a hilarious sexual misunderstanding.

Or is that inappropriate to discuss?

(P.S. I always thought that jam and jelly are two seperate things entirely, with jam being less processed than jelly [since jelly is usually devoid of all the seed-y pulp-y goodness that makes jam so loved])
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Jul 23 2007, 04:16 AM)
    Or is that inappropriate to discuss?

That's what I'm wondering about my other two translations, haha.