In this Discussion

You know you're obsessed when...

Comments

• I deal with the public, and I hear people say "u.tilize" a lot, and I smile inside every time. I also mentally correct them (like my mom and I used to correct news anchors and reporters on TV).
  • haha yeah, its fustrating isn't it? i'm a stickler for grammar in general, but when they use the wrong U word...*shakes fist*
  • Hooray for grammar Nazis! smile.gif

I'm such a pain in the ass sometimes, though. But what can I say... my grammar's pretty impeccable.
  • Haha, I've corrected my mom a few times smile.gif
  • I always correct people. I correct my sister all the time but she has mild dyslexia so she is a pretty bad speller and doesn't have the best grammar. So I feel kind of bad about that blink.gif
  • QUOTE (Shalu-lah @ Aug 20 2007, 10:54 PM)
    I'm such a pain in the ass sometimes, though. But what can I say... my grammar's pretty impeccable.

Ha! Shalu, watch and listen to the first few seconds of this MTVu video interview. Were you consciously referencing Damian when you said your grammar was "impeccable," or do you just think like him? wink.gif

(Btw, I'm so proud of remembering exactly where I'd heard him say this and of being able to find it again immediately. (YKYOW... indeed.))
  • Aww I love those interviews!! (I just re-watched them all biggrin.gif )
  • QUOTE (Tapegrl =D @ Aug 20 2007, 10:15 PM)
    YKYOW: In your school information packet, "uti.lize" is used improperly, so you immediately tell your mom that Damian would be ashamed.

I'm not actually sure I agree with Damian, because he isn't actually arguing for a "proper" use of the word; he doesn't think "u.tilize" should be used at all- he basically argued that it was bombastic. But I dunno; I kind of think we need synonyms if only for variation. It's still cute though that he cares.
    I'm not actually sure I agree with Damian, because he isn't actually arguing for a "proper" use of the word; he doesn't think "u.tilize" should be used at all- he basically argued that it was bombastic. But I dunno; I kind of think we need synonyms if only for variation. It's still cute though that he cares.

I'm going to agree with Tabetha here. When I read that little blog that he wrote arguing that "u.tilize" is completely superfluous and that the intended meaning of the word "use" could be derived from the preceding verb, I was like "wait, he's on crack right? That's so completely untrue!"

But I guess YKYOW...you actually post stuff about this.

But then again, I got uber angry the other day when I heard someone use the word "maudlin" in the totally wrong context.
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Aug 20 2007, 08:51 PM)
    But I dunno; I kind of think we need synonyms if only for variation. It's still cute though that he cares.

He doesn't believe there are true synonyms, either. He contends that all words are different due to nuances in their connotations. (I can't remember where I read that; was it one of his comments to the original article defending his stance? Not sure...)
  • YKYOW you get your morning coffe and sit down to check this message board before you can move forward in your day and you constantly check to see if the Damian is hot thread has any new pictures.

it's like a drug I tell ya!
  • QUOTE (mumblo @ Aug 21 2007, 01:51 AM)
    He doesn't believe there are true synonyms, either. He contends that all words are different due to nuances in their connotations. (I can't remember where I read that; was it one of his comments to the original article defending his stance? Not sure...)

Interesting. He's right, I think, that no one word means exactly the same as any other, but that doesn't mean we should be repeating the same basic vocabulary and completely dismiss certain words...
    As Lolabert said,
    "But I guess YKYOW...you actually post stuff about this."
  • YKYOW you hear "shake your groove thang" and all you can see in your mind is the guys dancing
  • My friend was actually impressed because everyone on this board actually uses proper grammar. I think she's been spending too much time on the So You Think You Can Dance forums... ohmy.gif
  • laugh.gif

Today, at school, a kid wore this AWESOME paisley shirt that looked exactly like one Damian has worn (I can't find pictures, I looked everywheree). I freaked out. He told me he got it at Express, so I tried going to the site, but it's spazzing out. mellow.gif
  • ohmigosh! good thing you didn't try to steal it off his back. that would be quite awkward. laugh.gif laugh.gif

YKYOW: You hear the iphone commercial song coming from the living room and you run to see if it's the OK Go one...and you nearly ram into the door in the process. biggrin.gif i'm so smooth.
  • thats sorta what i almost did in a way i shot up outta bed and my feet got tangled in the blankets haha and i fell down
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Aug 20 2007, 10:51 PM)

QUOTE (LolaBert @ Aug 21 2007, 12:50 AM)
    I'm going to agree with Tabetha here. When I read that little blog that he wrote arguing that "u.tilize" is completely superfluous and that the intended meaning of the word "use" could be derived from the preceding verb, I was like "wait, he's on crack right? That's so completely untrue!"
    Agreed.

YKYOW: You spend all of Monday night grinning like a proud grandma as CBS plays the iPhone commercial a million times and their ads for "The Big Bang Theory," which has HIGA all through them. Every time, I watched and grinned like a proud grandma. Especially during the iPhone commercial.

YKYOW: A co-worker in her sixties (I think?) is talking to you about her very elderly mother-in-law she had to visit over the weekend, and telling you the mother-in-law complained about her oxygen tank, saying she didn't want to use it, and then the co-worker says something to you as if she's answering the mother-in-law, something like, "Well, you sort of need it to breathe. Breathing is sort of important." And then YOU say:

(laugh) "Uh, yeah ... Not breathing could cause you to die ..."

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
  • HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!!!!!
  • Hahahaha Sheri! laugh.gif
    That is so great!!