In this Discussion

New video and new single

Comments

• QUOTE (mixtape @ Feb 12 2007, 01:35 AM)
    I thought the suits + lying down on the carpet was a bit much.

I couldn't agree more. sad.gif

It's the masks that were the worst for me. ph34r.gif I have a weird phobia about masks. *shudder*
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Feb 12 2007, 08:24 AM)
    While everyone else is in ball gowns, Ok Go comes dressed as their couch and wallpaper- they could never be just one of the other celebrities in a suit.

That honestly sounds like it could have come from Go Fug Yourself, haha. But if you read it in a non-positive way.

The masks were a bit much, honestly. I think they can get away with the suits as shameless self-promotion (because as much fun as it may be to dress up as your couch, it's still shameless self-promotion) because they have a way of making it feel not-too-horribly-gimicky. But the masks made them look like they just escaped the Taliban, and frankly, that's not good.
  • i loved it all

its very new wave okgo
  • it's bit scary but i thought it was funny too. i jsut want to see the video is all.
  • i loved the suits...

its a sign ok go has gotten all custom tailored on yo ass.
  • The way I see it is you never know if you'll ever be at the Grammys again. Might as well make a splash, and do something no one'd expect. If that means dressing up as a paisley army of raddness then go ahead.

I'm happy OK Go decided on being outrageous I mean it might be a promo for thier video but its thier career, whatever gets people questioning and wondering about them with such a major audience like Grammy viewers is all good right?
  • I loved the suits when I first saw the red-carpet shot, partly because I'd read about the upcoming video and knew instantly that's what they must be for. But I hated the masks, not just for selfish reasons but because: This is a band with charisma to spare, espec. Damian as frontman/spokesman. If you can't see the guys' faces and expressions, you are shut off from the charisma. So, number one, I think this choice of Grammy attire was a bit off-putting as a marketing strategy for the band.

Number two: OK Go's rock music is SO incredibly good and smart, I don't want them to be positioned solely as a cute-gimmick boy band -- and those outfits, and the lying-on-the-floor shtick, were just a little too cutesy for my taste. The dancing and the wallpaper graphics are artsy-cool and funny and original, but I want the guys to be taken seriously as musicians, too, not just as YouTube characters.

Aside from those wardrobe qualms, I was beyond thrilled that they won the Grammy, and so happy to see Tish joining in the accolades. What a family, those Kulashes.
  • QUOTE (Brunonianne @ Feb 12 2007, 11:35 AM)
    so happy to see Tish joining in the accolades.

TRISH! Duh. Typo. Bring caffeine stat.
  • QUOTE (Brunonianne @ Feb 12 2007, 11:35 AM)
    I loved the suits when I first saw the red-carpet shot, partly because I'd read about the upcoming video and knew instantly that's what they must be for. But I hated the masks, not just for selfish reasons but because: This is a band with charisma to spare, espec. Damian as frontman/spokesman. If you can't see the guys' faces and expressions, you are shut off from the charisma. So, number one, I think this choice of Grammy attire was a bit off-putting as a marketing strategy for the band.

Number two: OK Go's rock music is SO incredibly good and smart, I don't want them to be positioned solely as a cute-gimmick boy band -- and those outfits, and the lying-on-the-floor shtick, were just a little too cutesy for my taste. The dancing and the wallpaper graphics are artsy-cool and funny and original, but I want the guys to be taken seriously as musicians, too, not just as YouTube characters.

Aside from those wardrobe qualms, I was beyond thrilled that they won the Grammy, and so happy to see Tish joining in the accolades. What a family, those Kulashes.

Yes, yes and yes. Did you major in Marketing at Brown? I agree with everything.

Welcome to the board, Brunonianne. biggrin.gif
  • hahah... maybe ok go can only do no wrong in my eyes...
  • Well, they *are* the ones with the Grammy, so they must know something! wink.gif
  • QUOTE (dietpepsidrunk @ Feb 12 2007, 09:33 AM)
    Well, they *are* the ones with the Grammy, so they must know something! wink.gif

I like that OK Go pushed my comfort zone and the comfort zone of everyone at the Grammies. It's what Artists (with a capital "A") do. They are the real deal.

I didn't see it as an marketing gimmick in the same way others might because it was risky and marketing is all about bland comfort or creating a sense of belonging with some group or another. Unless you know some demographic that dresses like furniture... laugh.gif
  • I don't see it as a comfort issue--I find tacky gimmicks like that annoying. Like Brunonianne said, this is going to make it a lot harder for people to take Ok Go seriously. These outfits make them seem somewhat childish and desperate for attention. It might have been better without the masks, but I just really didn't like the outfits.
  • maybe the outfits were just a way to prep the world for the radness of the next vid...

im just thowing it out there peeps rolleyes.gif

viva la couch suit!
  • QUOTE (QueenofthePosers @ Feb 12 2007, 10:46 AM)
    I don't see it as a comfort issue--I find tacky gimmicks like that annoying. Like Brunonianne said, this is going to make it a lot harder for people to take Ok Go seriously. These outfits make them seem somewhat childish and desperate for attention. It might have been better without the masks, but I just really didn't like the outfits.

I had to think about the masks myself blink.gif , but one of the things I thought was that OK Go wants to get the focus on their music, their true-to-themselves-ness, and their smarts and not be just some "boy-toy" band (I know they're not, but it keeps coming up in media conversations). No one could accuse them of trading on their looks last night. smile.gif

On the grand scale, people want to be challenged (even when they think they don't). OK Go could have chosen the safe path and just been one more homogenized blip at the Grammies. But they weren't. Daring and tacky often look like the same thing up close. Given time and distance, you might see things differently.

They certainly weren't part of the watered down milieu as mourned by the San Francisco Chronicle critic this morning: San Francisco Chronicle review of the Grammies
  • Maybe the couch costumes were the deepest art of all-
    avant-garde smile.gif
    like Keaton said, marketing is to identify with a demographic but this totally did not do that- I think it was doing something else entirely
    and after all, look how much it got us to think. hehe, maybe it's not marketing at all but some kind of modernist "art for art's sake"... and the masks were some kind of visual allegory
    hahaha, maybe they were looking at the wallpaper on the wall and the wallpaper in their minds, and wearing the difference...
    I'm gonna shut up now smile.gif
  • QUOTE (Felster @ Feb 12 2007, 03:20 PM)
    i loved the suits...

its a sign ok go has gotten all custom tailored on yo ass.

hahahaha, ur so gangster.

i liked the suits. i didn't like the masks and the fact that they laid down on the floor. and i didn't even connect it to the video (or as advertising) until u guys said something, so it didn't bother me.
  • hehe...

yah i guess the masks were kinda freaky...

freaky in a good way, you ask? well thats up to what gets you going tongue.gif .
  • well if they didn't wear those outfits and acted crazy do you think any of you guys would even be having half of the discussions you are having now? it got everyone talking didn't it?
  • why did they lay on the ground?